“Go-to Date/Birthday/Celebration place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cactus Creek Prime Steakhouse
Ranked #195 of 905 Restaurants in Reno
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Here, you can enjoy fine dining in a relaxed atmosphere. Located within the Bonanza Casino and adorned with a Southwestern decor, Cactus Creek Prime Steakhouse specializes in USDA Prime-grade beef. Each of our dishes is prepared daily, using only the finest ingredients.A perfect complement to any meal, Cactus Creek Prime Steakhouse offers a wide selection of fine wines as well as a variety of decadent desserts to top off the evening, prepared by one of our award-winning pastry chefs. With exceptional cuisine, first-class service and a comfortable and inviting atmosphere, it's no question why Cactus Creek Prime Steakhouse was voted Best in Nevada six years in a row by Nevada Magazine.Open Wednesday through Sunday, 5:00 - 9:00 P.M. Reservations recommended.
Reno, Nevada
“Go-to Date/Birthday/Celebration place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have made 3 visits here since September of 2012. After seeing this place be voted The Best of Nevada for years and years and living in Northeast Reno for a couple years now AND being a frequent flyer of the coffee shop (Branding Iron) due to late night, close and relatively good quality diner food and service we finally stopped into the steakhouse for a birthday dinner in September.

It isn't smokey once you're in the restaurant and if you go in the dining entrance vs. the far entrance, its like 2.5 seconds till you're in the restaurant anyways... I also grew up in Nevada so this sort of thing just doesn't phase me like some people gripe about, and I am on oxygen so listen to me people... it's worth it.

I love prime rib and let others I come with venture out food wise, so I have always ordered the prime rib, medium rare (all sizes are delicious). I have tried the lamb chops, black cherry duck, Kobe beef and king crab monthly special (the crab was extremely tasty), seared scallops, sirloin steak and various potato sides. Eventually I want to try the bison, the escargot (got to get brave), steamed clams, prawn and scallop thermidor, steak diane etc (the menu is expansive, but not repetitive, I noticed Berkshire pork which is exceptional quality heritage pork too).

If you do ONE THING here, somehow, go on a day where the soup is Cream of Dill (possibly on Saturdays), coincidentally (all 3 visits this has been the soup de jour, I think all three visits were Saturdays), I MISTAKENLY skipped out on this the first time thinking what a strange concoction, the second time the waiter highly recommended it so we gave it a shot... I have dreams about this soup I am telling you it is so good. The waiter informed us that the chef (which should be a no-brainer, he is a chef) makes great soups and desserts, and said there is a chilled soup in the summer that is good too. We will be making a trip to try that sometime.

My most recent visit was in April of 2013 and again, spectacular meal and service. This time we got to see another table have the table-side banana's foster dessert presentation, which was a treat, we were so stuffed though I went for a creme brulee which is my favorite dessert. The waitress chose a specially shaped dish that served for two and it was rich, and creamy. Next time though we are gorging and getting a presentation dessert.

I think the prices have gone up a tid bit, probably due to having to pay 12 million out to the lottery winner haha. But it is comparable to other steakhouses that I have been to, but this is our clear winner. It is probably a bit biased because it is close to home, but the fact you don't have to park 18 miles away go through 3 casinos etc and taste of food.

Highly, highly recommended.

The ONLY thing that would make this even more stellar is if they started sourcing from local ranches for some menu items. They currently use prime grade, grain-fed back east beef (which the fat is so yummy in the prime rib) but it would be amazing to see what they could do with grass-fed items too!

If you didn't guess, we are in love with this place.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BonanzaChefChrisRomm, Executive Chef at Cactus Creek Prime Steakhouse, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Sebby,
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review! We strive to create the experiences you describe. Regarding your comments on local sourcing, it is a challenge. We are constantly seeking local suppliers who can provide consistently high quality food items. We currently feature one all natural USDA prime steak on the menu and that is our New York steak. It is sourced from a small cattle rancher who we have contracted with. They are able to supple us a wonderful USDA prime New York steak that is antibiotic and hormone free. This is important and we are seeking more cattle ranchers who can consistently supply us other Prime items that are all natural as well. We also seek local produce when available. We are always looking.......The price on our Prime Rib has been increased slightly and that is due to the ever increasing prices we pay for these very high quality items. We rarely increase prices and this increase was minimal. We work to keep our pricing very fair and certainly lower than any other restaurant for the highest quality USDA Prime beef we serve.
We are so pleased you are in love with Cactus Creek and we will continue to excel and provide you great food and service.
Cheers!

South Lake Tahoe, California
“Good food - good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The service was good and the food also good. It felt a little cramped for me, but I do like the tables spaced out a bit more to feel more relaxed and personal.

JetLag,
Thanks so much for taking time tor review Cactus Creek. We strive to serve excellent food and provide great service. It appears we could have done more to make your evening stand out. I appreciate your comments about the room. We try and create seating to accommodate just the right amount of guests, sometimes it is a challenge. I believe we had a few larger parties the evening you were in and that does change the set up of our dining room. We hope you will return time again to Cactus Creek.
Red Bluff, California
“Easter Brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is an amazing restaurant. The service and menu for our Easter Brunch was beyond compare. The affordable price included starters, entree, desert and a complimentary glass of Schramsberg Champagne. My choices included spinach salad with Dranbruie Bacon Dressing, Lobster Benedict and Tahitian Creme Brûlée. So great. Atmosphere was quiet and relaxed. Service great. After brunch and a couple of glasses of champagne, you can get ready to drive while spending some time in the casino at the Bonanza!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
BonanzaChefChrisRomm, Executive Chef at Cactus Creek Prime Steakhouse, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Christine,
Your review made me hungry! We obviously take great satisfaction in preparing great food and giving great service. Easter Brunch is a treat for us as well as we have the opportunity to showcase some unique menu offering such as the Lobster Benedict. I will share your review with the kitchen and service staff. Reviews such as your are what we strive for on a daily basis, we are gratified we were able to amaze you! Thanks again for your thoughtful review, we hope to serve you soon.
Best
Chris Romm
Reno, Nevada
“Just Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

This restaurant has won awards, I am not certain why though. The atmosphere was outdated, the service was slow (it took ten minutes before anyonme even came to the table to take our order) and the food was just average. The only nice thing I can say was they did have a nice wine list. With so many other better choices here in Reno, I do not think I will be taking a trip to the north valley again for this restaurant.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BonanzaChefChrisRomm, Food and Beverage Director at Cactus Creek Prime Steakhouse, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear TravellinFool13,
I was dismayed to read your review in that you found us to be "just average" We certainly strive to be much more than average. There is no excuse for slow service period and for that I apologize. I would greatly appreciate more information regarding the entrees you selected. Please feel free to call me directly or email me so that I may address your last visit and have an opportunity to directly address your concerns. Your business is appreciated and we do not want anyone disappointed in any way. My email is cromm@bonanzacasino.com or my phone number is 775-323-2724 ext 140.
I look forward to hearing from you
Best
Chris Romm
Orovada, NV
“The best dinner in Reno!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We decided to go at the last minute, and were lucky enough to be seated kind of early, without a reservation, at 5:45.There were so many interesting dishes to choose from, making a decision was difficult. My guy ordered the cream of celery soup, a velvety smooth soup with just the right amount of peppercorn heat. I had the crisp house salad, with perfect blue cheese dressing. For our main dish, my guy had the bison steak, which was thick and flavorful, and a delicious ancho cheese potato side dish. I had veal piccata, which was very tender and lemony, just the way I love it! My side dish was perfectly sautéed mushroom fricassee. I'm watching carbs, so I didn't have any rolls from the bread basket. My guy said the rolls were great, as was the meal. In fact, I loved that soup so much, I took an order of it, to go! The service was attentive, and the ambiance was cozy. You have to walk to the back of a smoky locals casino to find this restaurant, and it's pricey, but so worth it! We will definitely return!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BonanzaChefChrisRomm, Manager at Cactus Creek Prime Steakhouse, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
ihorow1160,
What a wonderful review! We strive to create wonderful food and are so grateful you enjoyed our culinary endeavors. We make everything from "scratch" and we put a lot of work and good old fashioned care into everything we prepare for our guests. It's rare that a review makes me hungry for our own food but you have done just that!
As you are aware we have enclosed Cactus Creek to help overcome the smoke that you wrote of. Cactus Creek is now entirely smoke free which certainly helps non smokers enjoy a great dining experience. We truly look forward to a return visit and we anticipate hitting many homes runs for you in the future!
Again thank you for your kind words.
Chef Chris

Been to Cactus Creek Prime Steakhouse? Share your experiences!