“Great food, but very outdated”
Review of Bavarian World

Bavarian World
Ranked #195 of 917 Restaurants in Reno
Cuisines: German, European, Austrian, Swiss
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Reno, Nevada
“Great food, but very outdated”
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

They have beer by the liter! Great value on that & on the rest of the menu. Very authentic menu, but it's really outdated. The store & overall decor are old & the dining room was really quiet. I hope it's more lively on other nights.

The service was good, so I will be back again.

• Visited July 2013

Grass Valley
“Food ho hum, stale cookies”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Unfortunately I have to give this restaurant a mostly negative review. We drove up to Reno hoping to find good crusty German bread, a delicious lunch and a lovely sweet or two.
Many others have written about the dated decor, the remote bathroom, etc. We didn't care about the kitsch, the place is Bavarian after all. We wanted good, flavorful food. My husband is German and we lived in Berlin for three years so we know how things are supposed to taste.

The menu had several appealing items on it. He ordered the veal sausages with fried potatoes and sauerkraut. I had fleischkaese (or also known as leberkaese) with onions, fried potatoes and red cabbage. The potatoes had a slightly odd flavor - old grease? He said the sauerkraut came right out of a jar (where was the onion, the bacon?). My red cabbage had some flavor but I could not identify the spice (where was the bacon, the apple?). The leberkaese also tasted a little off - I ate half of it. What was good? The broetchen or schrippen - crusty, fresh, delicious rolls.

The deli counter was loaded with strudels, pastries and cookies. The freezer was loaded with breads and rolls. They do bake their own bread but what they had was a light rye with no crust. The shelves were loaded with imported products (5 gallons of sauerkraut anyone?), mustards, jams, sweets. There was a counter of recent magazines in German, of course. The meat section of the deli had rows and rows of typical pates, hams, bacon, salamis, etc. We bought teewurst, apple strudel and two cookies.

My husband ate the teewurst last night and a few hours later was violently ill. We think it was old. Tossed it out. I took a bite out of each cookie, completely stale. Tossed them out. The apple strudel was very good.

In conclusion we think that the neither the restaurant nor the deli get enough patronage to put fresh food on the table. The deli is overstocked and we just felt as though there was not enough turnover there either. I do wish we had purchased some of those rolls, however.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank CreeksideGrassValley
Michigan
“Odd, don't waste your time”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I went out of my way to visit here. It was odd, lots of cars in the parking lot... But the restaurant was empty. I walked around the deli. A modest selection of Bavarian and German foods, high priced.

There was a dining room, but I scooted out of there. I'm pretty adventurous, but this was just odd.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank jra3
reno
“Horrible”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I didn't even eat there, and honestly, I wouldn't. I have lived in Reno since 1979, and I've always been meaning to go to this place. I went there specifically for the pretzel rolls, which are very good, however, the dinginess and filth of the place almost made me turn around. The worker behind the deli counter was beyond less than enthused; I felt like I was in the twilight zone. Then, a girl came to help him by running the register (not that there was a line, he just moved slower than a snail), and she was worse, no smile, no thank you, no have a nice day, NOTHING. If you are the owner reading this, I highly recommend you fire your entire staff, clean up the place, and start fresh! I will be sticking to dinner rolls from Wal-Mart from now on...at least they greet you!

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank cara492
Sparks, Nevada
“Could have been so much more”
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Food was excellent. A "new" waiter with zero personality, lack of attention, and slow, slow service really decreased evaluation. It was a very slow Tuesday night.

1 Thank Kathy0624