“WAY better than expected Mexican”
Review of Tacos El Rey

Tacos El Rey
Ranked #476 of 957 Restaurants in Reno
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 29, 2013

After looking this place up, I went to try some food cause I wanted more Taqueria style. It's just like the reviews describe. Order at the counter, take a seat and your food arrives in short order. Tried a plate of camarones (shrimp) which came with rice, beans, guacamole and tortillas. Be CAREFUL if you order things HOT because your dish WILL be SCORCHING! Chips and salsa were very good. Also had a few tacos which were small but real tasty. The BEST part was an ENORMOUS Margarita which was strong and ONLY $4.50! Bill was $17! Definitely NOT CHILI's but that's why you come here instead.

1  Thank Charles K

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I moved to Reno a little over a week ago. I am on a mission to find tacos as good as the ones a left behind in my old hometown. I love simple, fresh taqueria style tacos. The kind you get from trucks preferably. Today I found darn good ones. Had the combo plate whic is made up of 3 tacos and rice and beans. I had the al pastor. For 5$ the price was right and the taste was really good! No pineapple in the tacos but that was my only complaint. Salsa was ok and the chips and guacamole was very tasty! Best tacos I have had in Reno!!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Tacos el Rey looks like a nothing strip mall taco shop, in North West Reno. We stopped by for a quick taco lunch one afternoon while shopping. I was pleased to see half a dozen Mexican woman in the kitchen...all chatting and laughing. Gave me a very comfortable memory of times spent in Baja and Mexico. There was a small line that moved quickly. The young woman taking orders was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. You order from the counter and they bring it to the table.
We ordered shredded beef tacos....one dollar each. They were small but came with two super fresh corn tortillas, lots of limes and radishes. From the first bite, I knew I would be back over and over again. They were taco perfection. The beef was moist and had so much favor.
Two days later we found ourselves again standing in a small line to try the Chili rellanos . Holy Cow good! The beans were homemade the rice very good. We have tried the pork tacos, chicken ones, as well...the enchiladas, again all super good. Not one disappointment.
We went there for Cinco de Mayo. We went early, as we know they can run out of the best things at times. People were actually dropping someone from the car to get in line. We got dinner to go. Not a fancy place at all but the atmosphere is happy and clean. Treat yourself...go to Tacos de Rey!

2  Thank Crickette B
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Tried on a recommendation of a co-worker: More than fast food but not a sit down:
Order your selection at the counter, they give you a number and then deliver the item to the table.
Started with their guacamole and chips, it looked like the photo, it is a mixture of onions and tomato and peppers. Some kick to the taste
I had the Taco combo, beef, chicken and pork with rice and beans. The taste was good, I was suprized at how feeling they where for the small size: they are build with a thick corn soft shell.
Wife had the shrimp taco and beef tripe stew (she liked it for the most part, I don’t eat that stuff)
I will say I was surprised with the quality of taste and items being delivered to the table.
Will return

Reviewed March 25, 2013

From the outside, this looks like another fast food Mexican place. SO NOT TRUE! Can't say enough good things about it. This place is way more that a taco joint. The menu is expansive, the food is excellent and the price is right! 2 enchiladas, taco, beans & rice for $5.00! Chili rellano, taco, beans and rice for $5.00! And they were all excellent.

This is not a fancy restaurant. Very modest but cheery. The beer selection is great. (The beer costs more than the food).

Don't let the location and the outside signage fool you. This is a great place.

Been to Tacos El Rey? Share your experiences!