“Nice Tavern in Reno”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My daughter had raved about St James when they visited last Holiday. Tried it last Monday and we were not disappointed. The ambiance is nice. I like the dark wood tables. Spacious and has the European feel to it. I ordered fish and chips and enjoyed them. The prawns were fresh and the fresh chips were tasty. The beer samplers were fun. Good tasting beer almost didn't make it to the last glass ( 7 glasses from light to dark). There's only one comment about the duck with pork belly, etc. it was a tad salty but edible. The server was attentive. This place is very relaxing. We were not rushed. I can see it will be more fun on summer as they have enough tables and benches out at their patio. We would go back again next time with some friends.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

This place is wonderful! I met a local friend here for a drink and appetizers, and when I walked in I was immediately happy. It's a really cool building, the dining room and bar have this rustic but modern feel, and it looks like they'll have excellent outdoor seating when the weather warms up. They've got a nice beer list, and you can buy tasters (about $2-3)  if you want to create your own flight or you can buy pints and growlers. I had the English porter which was light with a nice chocolaty finish, and my friend had the Red, which she liked, but it wasn't quite my taste--it's got a long finish, though,  if you like that. Their appetizer menu had lots of yummy-looking, interesting selections (portobella fries, scallops and pork belly, poutine, parsnip chips, etc) and they have one of my all-time favorite meals to accompany good beer, moules frites. Their other entrees looked tasty, as well (fish and chips with includes shrimp and cod, Mac and cheese with leeks and cauliflower, a daily entree special, flatbread pizzas, and , but we decided on the charcuterie platter and the cheese platter. They were beautiful! Seriously, I've never seen such pretty meat and cheese platters. They were decorated with a selection of fresh fruit, the cheese was yummy--manchego, Brie, and blue, with preserves--and the charcuterie was good--prosciutto and 2 pâtés (although I would have preferred only one pâté and another cured meat, like salami, pancetta, or something like that, but the pâté was tasty). Our server was fantastic--attentive, nice, and helpful. If you haven't tried this place yet, I strongly recommend you do, especially if you like trying new microbrews. But even if you're not a beer buff, if you appreciate good food, this place is worth a visit.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Had dinner there with a friend. My friend had a german dish of pork and cabbage and I had a beef and oxtail dish that was very good.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Really cool new spot in reno in a totally re-done old school brick building. Great handmade brews and wonderful food make this our new favorite in Reno. Expect big crowds and long waits so reservation a good idea. These guys did a perfect job of taking the old building and turning it into something really cool for Reno. Nice Job! It feels more like Seattle or Portland than Reno. Love the vib - love the food! We will be back!~

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This cozy restaurant is a surprise in Reno. Feels like Portland. I have been there about five times it it has always been great. Great beer and wine list. Cassoulets are yummy. The daily chicken dishes blow my mind. And there are a lot of menu items not seem elsewhere in Reno--like catfish, mussels, homemade sausages. My favorite restuant in Reno right now.

Been to Brasserie Saint James? Share your experiences!