“Twice in Two Nights”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We found this restaurant the first night of a recent trip to Reno. We looked at the hot pot but decided to go with more traditional. The next night, which was my wife's birthday, we were debating where to go when finally she said the same place for hot pot. Both nights the food was quite good. She is very picky about Chinese food since that is her ethnicity. We would go back.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have to say that this restaurant has the best, most authentic Chinese food in Reno. We've eaten at 168 Cafe many times over and the servers are warm and friendly, the cook and the owner are always smiling and laughing.

The food is fresh with no MSG and prepared promptly. Our favorites include the beef porridge and beef and bitter melon. We've recently added several new favorites; a vegetable dish with winter bamboo, soybeans and preserved mustard greens and a shredded flounder dish, very light and tender.

I am of Chinese descent and this is one of the best restaurants outside of San Francisco Chinatown. Now I can enjoy great Chinese food in "my own backyard".

Also, if you go there on any given day, you will find a restaurant full of Asian patrons. That's says enough about the restaurant, the service and the food!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

When we drove up, my family collectively asked "Is this it?" Located in a strip mall off S Virginia Street, the ambiance leaves a lot to be desired, but the food more than makes up for it. We came in just as they opened for lunch on a Saturday morning. There was only one person serving three tables, and at first, we wondered if he was going to be able to handle it. Coming from the Bay Area, we're quite accustomed to brusque service for Chinese, and this was no exception, but everything came quickly, our waiter was attentive and solicitous, and our fears faded. My children ordered the Fried Chinese Donut and the Fried Sweet Bun, both of which quickly disappeared from the table. We also ordered sweet and sour chicken, mixed vegetable chicken, vegetable chow mein, and soy sauce chow mein. The sweet and sour chicken was just right, crispy nuggets in a tasty sweet and sour sauce without a sign of sogginess. The vegetables in the chow mein were tasty and fresh, and the noodles had a satisfying tooth. The same goes for the mixed vegetable chicken--succulent chicken in a bed of tasty and fresh vegetables. The soy sauce chow mein was not exactly to our liking, but this is due in part to the way we ordered them--completely plain, with no vegetables. Rather than the more familiar chow mein noodles, these were thinner and really could have used the extra moisture imparted by the bean sprouts. Now when we travel to Reno, we have a reliable spot where we can enjoy a family dinner, and next time, I plan to branch out and try a few of their more exotic dishes. By the way, for a family of five, we spent about $100 including tip.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Nice food but the service is not that good. The food is nice, Hot Pot is unique and exotic where definitely coming back.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Pretty good. I had thr black bean chicken which was pretty good but a little salty. My friends had the noodle soups and loved it. Probably will come back especially since its open late!