“Love it here”

Rancho San Rafael Regional Park
Ranked #21 of 140 things to do in Reno
Reviewed April 15, 2014

So much to do - trails, dog park, playground for the kids, pavilions to rent for events and speaking of events - the special events held here are always amazing. The Hot Air Balloon Race is my fav.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is an awesome park that you can take your dog too, go through the gardens or hike around either side of McCarren Blvd. Frisbee park on the North side, dog park and gardens on the south side.

More to do and see the more you go.

Mornings have always been best and the views and surroundings are georgeous year round.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

It's a bit out of our way, but we still make it out to Rancho for the dog park, definitely the best in town. Basically a huge green area, always lots of friendly dogs there, which I can't say is true of the other parks (Virginia Lake). Always have a good time there running the dog and chatting with friendly people. The park has gorgeous green areas, lakes and streams, ponds with ducks, a really well kept arboretum with lots of info and signage, and lots of hiking trails. Each time I've gone I've had a great time!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We spent the better part of the day wandering the paths of the arboretum and enjoying the different plant life along the paths, The park is well laid out and a great place to spend a few hours or the day with the family.

1  Thank Dennis J
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We were staying at The Sands and I went out for my early morning walk. Just a short distance east of Sands was a sign about the park with an arrow pointing up a street. Back to hotel to get my hubby and we walked up to San Rafael! Its a bit of a hike and a little bit uphill... but when we finally got there we spent about 2 hours in the Wilbur D. May Museum. They have great natural history displays, although small-- they are very informative of the natural wildlife of Reno. They had a small gallery with a temporary exhibit of Native American art; I was impressed with several paintings of dragon fly's and did not realize their significance in American Indian genre. The museum has a really nice gift shop and we bought several trinkets and gifts for friends back home. They also have a nice room with some fish ponds and have info about renting the space for parties, weddings, etc. It was really nice and we are considering holding our 25th vow renewal there. By the time we were finished with the museum it was almost noon and I had an appointment in town so had to cut our visit a bit shorter than I wanted to. A brief walk around the museum showed a Labyrinth walking path that I would have liked to spend some time at, in meditation. Thank goodness the walk back to our hotel was all downhill because that trip is a bit steep but you go thru a quite nice neighborhood along the way! I could see that the park being elevated on the hill, has beautiful panarama views of the area-- at sunset you would be able to see some of the lights of the dntn area and the local hospital campus. Its so very, very wonderful that the folks who originally owned the ranch decided to donate it for public use. Next time we are in Reno, we will go back to this park, for sure!