“Fun time”

Club Cal-Neva Casino
Ranked #26 of 139 things to do in Reno
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Enjoyed hours playing the slots at the Cal Neva again.
Good drink service. and also enjoyed the Top Deck for a few meals. Reasonable in price and food is good.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This place looks like it hasn't had a bath (inside and out) in 30+ years. It's pretty run down, dark, and feels dirty.

BUT..... They have killer deals on food! Cheap Prime-Rib and breakfast meals. My prime rib dinner was $5! And it was delicious!

1  Thank HippieStarFish
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I think this is still one of the places that continues to have cheap food as a draw for gamblers. The hot dog and beer in the sports book is still a deal and the diner has cheap food specials that aren't bad.

But really the Cal-Neva is a place to gamble without high table minimums. I've never really understood other casinos with empty tables still sporting $10 minimum bets. This place doesn't do that and tends to actually have people at the craps tables. And as any dice thrower knows, more people make it more exciting.

It isn't a fancy place, in fact it is a tad downscale, but if you want good tables without blowing your gaming budget, this would be the place for downtown Reno.

The above review is for the casino. I know they have rooms now, thanks to buying the old Virginian (which seemed to sit for years), but I've never been in one.

1  Thank CoyoteIsland
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The earlier reviewer who stated that Cal-Neva feels like old Reno hit it on the head. They still have the old fashioned three reel slots where the max bet is three coins. I enjoy a little slot play and some table games but don't care to lose a ton of money so these were perfect for my idea of fun gaming. They had $3. blackjack and .50 cent roulette. They also have great budget food and drink deals. It's not gourmet fare but you can have a good meal for less than $20 and in today's economy that's a good thing. We were staying in a different casino on the strip but spent the entire gambling portion of our trip at the Cal-Neva. Every dealer and server we encountered was really friendly too. We hadn't been to Reno for years, opting for Vegas or Tahoe instead. Reno was pleasantly quiet and uncrowded. After this trip we're already thinking about going back.

1  Thank desal
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This place sucks! It's filthy. Some sort of insect chewed my legs up pretty well while I sat and played Blackjack. Fleas?? The dealers are bad, the customers are terrible, the food sucks, there is nothing good about this place except for the value of watching the worst people gather together in the worst casino in the world.