“Great local place, closest drive from Reno”

Mt. Rose Ski Resort
Ranked #4 of 143 things to do in Reno
Reviewed October 8, 2012

If you are traveling to Tahoe I would probably not recommend this "resort" (with no rooms) for two reasons. 1. Tahoe has bigger longer runs in many resorts with actual rooms to sleep in. 2. Stay off our local mountain close enough to drive up in the middle of a work day and get a couple of runs in :D

1  Thank YogaDesires
"green runs"
in 6 reviews
"high elevation"
in 6 reviews
"great place for beginners"
in 4 reviews
"tahoe area"
in 9 reviews
"varied terrain"
"windy days"
"group lesson"
"snowboarding lessons"

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Every year we buy season passes for Mt. Rose. It is close to the Reno area and easy to get to. Our family goes up at least once a week for a fun day of family skiing. It has a great variety of runs for all levels. The lodges are great. The promotional weekends are great! We love it!

1  Thank Smith0000
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This resort seems to be the place of choice for most native Nevadans.

The staff, especially at the RoseBuds counter, are helpful, energetic and caring about the experience your child has in the learning program.

There are group classes and single lessons to be had. I do think the cost for private lessons is a bit steep, but understand that the resort only has a limited window of time in which to make a profit.

My girls have been going to this resort almost exclusively or the past 8 years.

They no longer need the instructions from the RoseBud program, but they are still very happy to ski on the slopes.

My only complaint is that on holiday weekends, the crowds can be overwhelming.

Suggest that anyone who wants to get in a few hours comes by 0745 and get in as many runs as one can. After about noon, the lines are just too long.

1  Thank RayZehrung
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Compared to the other Tahoe resorts I went to: Heavenly and Homewood, it had the least desirable views but they were still terrific. Snow was good, the mountain is a challenge for an east coaster like myself which I enjoyed (unlike Heavenly), I'd compare it to Solitude in Utah

1  Thank evan w
See more reviews
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I am a flatland eastcoaster who has been skiing 2-3 times a year for 30 years. At 50+, I'm not as adventurous as I used to be. I ski the western beginner slopes comfortably, and occasionally ski an intermediate. (And there IS a difference in the way they rate eastern vs western slopes--an eastern intermediate generally equals a tough western beginner.)

I visit Reno once a year to see the grandkids, and I generally go skiing 2-3 days while I am there. I usually get to Mt Rose at least 1 day, and I really enjoy the mountain for several reasons:

First , it is not connected to a resort. Locals go there to ski--not party--not see and be seen. Second, the cost is reasonable, especially compared to the Tahoe area resorts. Third, it is convenient to Reno. I can literally be door to door in 30 minutes. Fourth, the staff is friendly and helpful. Finally, it is beautiful. You can see Lake Tahoe from the top of one lift.

Yes, there are snowboarders, a small minority of whom can be obnoxious, but aren't they everywhere these days? And yes, there are lots of beginner ski classes who can take time on the lift, but it was not that long ago that I was one of them. I've skied several other mountains in the area, and generally enjoyed them, but I always come back to Mt Rose.

1  Thank weeksvillejoe