“Good food”

El Paisano Restaurant
Ranked #165 of 945 Restaurants in Reno
Cuisines: Mexican, Salvadoran
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is about a half mile from the hotel I usually stay at when in Reno! It's quite hidden, inside a Costco shopping center. Food was good. If you're hungry, the portions for the price will do.

There are newer reviews for El Paisano Restaurant

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I took our children here last Saturday after shopping at Costco. It was our first time in the restaurant and thought we'd give it a try - plus, we needed to kill some time while having tires installed. It was early-ish when we arrived for lunch (12:02pm according to the receipt) but the place was void of any other customers, which didn't give us a good feeling. Our kids can be selective but after spending $45 to sample menu items they typically eat, we left there having to throw too much of the food away :( Of that $45 spent, $12.54 of it was for fountain drinks. We'd ordered a few different types of tacos including tilapia, an order of flautas, rice and beans and even tried the french fries, which were greasy, unseasoned and had no crisp. Service was okay but not really friendly or pleasant. It's the kind of place where you order at the counter, they give you a number and then your food is brought to you. Our kids of course needed to use the restrooms and the boys bathroom didn't have any towels for drying hands. Maybe it was an off day but it wasn't a good first impression for us.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Good value, kid friendly. Order at the counter service. We stopped on the way to the airport with our family. Kids had quesadillas. Adults ordered soup, fajitas and enchiladas.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

A Deal Chicken offer (a Groupon clone) brought us to the restaurant for the first time, but the great food had me back the next day. Their pupusas are out of this world. The revuelta pupusa (pork, cheese and beans) is our favorite, and they are less than $2 a piece.

Our nine-year-old had the asada sopes and gave them an enthusiastic thumbs up. He was also impressed by the salsa bar, a lot of choices, and the small play corner for smaller kids. So while there isn't an actual kids menu, it is definitely a kid-friendly restaurant.

One other dish you should try is the guarache. It's an oblong shaped, thicker tortilla with beans, lettuce, cheese and carnitas. It is just fantastic. And now that I've mentioned tortillas, you should note that they make their own and are thick and delicious.

As a Mexican/El Salvadoran restaurant you have a good variety of menu choices. From the Salvadoran side, the fried plantains and sweet corn tamal were both winners with our family.

I didn't try the tacos, but they looked good and were only $1.09. So if you are looking for a quick taqueria near Costco, this would be the place.

All in all, a nice find.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

My husband and I stopped in on a Sunday afternoon and were very happy with our choice of restaurant. It was packed, the wait was a little long, and the tables were not bused very quickly, but those are the only issues- the food was fabulous! I had the pollo tamal (Salvadoran version) and the sweet corn tamal and both were great! The pollo tamal had not only chicken, but also potatoes and green beans- yum! My husband had a pupusa (pork and cheese) and it was very tasty, then had a machaca burrito that he said was the best he'd had since So. Cal. Staff was friendly.

Been to El Paisano Restaurant? Share your experiences!