Club Cal Neva Hotel Casino
Comfort Inn & Suites Airport(Reno)(Great Value!)
$84
$67
Whitney Peak Hotel(Reno)
$139
  • Restaurant
Circus Circus Reno(Reno)(Great Value!)
$45
Official Site
$57
Atlantis Casino Resort Spa(Reno)(Great Value!)
$97
$60
All reviewstop deckprime ribsteak and eggscasino farekeno loungeback in the daytwo blocksdowntown renovirginia streettruckee riversports bookslot machinesgreat casinosilver legacygamblingfunplayers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 16, 2010

So, I cant even remember how many thousands of dollars I've lost over the last 3 years I've lived in Reno and played at the Cal-Neva. I've noticed that they NEVER track correctly (or even care to be bothered to like most casinos in Reno) but that was never a problem at all, I can take or leave their greasy food, and greasy rooms.

SO, Anyways everything has been OK here in the past, I had an issue with one pitboss threatening to throw me in jail for no reason once, which i brought up with his supervisor and he ofered me food comps which I declined.

That leads us to the last time I went in there, Jan. 8 or 9 late night I think (I live right down the street) So, like I said I've been in there almost 3-4 times a week for a couple of years and know several employees. I unfortunately happened to have been robbed at gunpoint 3 days prior for $800 cash, my laptop, my entire wallet including 14 credit cards and ID. So me and a friend of mine just decided to stop in there and play a little, no big deal right? Wrong! The first blackjack table I sat down at everything was fine, they changed dealers at which point the dealer got 8 - 10 consecutive 20's or 21's (as usual) and I went to change tables, the dealer say "Good Idea".

So, I go to sit down at the next available table, and the pit boss (only older white lady pitboss there) LITERALLY rushes over demanding my ID. I calmly explained to her the situation about my ID and that the kind lady at the players club still gave me my free play because she remembered me etc. She called me a liar to my face in front of all of the other guests. I said (still calmly) "OK I understand your policy, i don'thave a problem with leaving, I just wish that you didnt have to be so abrasive like this yelling at me to get out etc. I (CALMLY) asked her if I had the opportunity to bring my proper ID back in when I can get all of the documents for it (IM 33 AND BEEN PLAYING THERE 3 YRS). She told me I wasn't bringing it back in for 6 months as she called security who immediately rushed out to take my picture like some kind of criminal. Completely and totally unnecessary.

Thats when me and my friend calmly left, and went to the Silver Legacy (which also has lots of issues, but at least remembers me and doesnt treat me like a criminal) and I foolishly wasted $800 dollars and my friend $700 which COULD have been the Cal Neva's that night. But, I guess Kathy, or whoever (she refused to tell me her name, only repeated shes "THE BOSS" anyways shes the ONLY older white lady pit boss) SHE didn't see it that way. I mean she couldn't even be somewhat pleasant about it. I was just victimized in a home invasion, just trying to go into a crappy casino for a decent time, and get embarrassed and treated like a criminal myself. Thanks, Cal-Neva, and "Kathy" or whoever I reiterate is the "ONLY OLDER WHITE WOMAN PIT BOSS" at the Cal-Neva is. I am actually considering a lawsuit for unnecessary public humiliation at the moment.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jm67
Reviewed November 30, 2009

The Cal Neva is clean, well located, and the staff are friendly. The furnishings may be outdated but who cares if the price is right.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2009

The Club Cal Neva is a great place to stay for a weekend of fun in Reno. The Hotel is conveniently located right in the heart of town. Prompt pickup and dropoff at airport by hotel van. Reasonable room rates. Clean rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. I go to Reno every year with a group of friends. We like to stay at the Club Cal Neva because they treat us right and we can walk to everywhere we want to go for gambling and good places to eat. The Club Cal Neval also has the best Sport Book in town.

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed November 25, 2009

Just came home from an enjoyable weekend in Reno. The Cal-Neva hotel was a perfect blend of price and hospitality. It was good to see familiar faces, and to have all our requests taken care of. Thank you Regge, we will see you again next year
G-

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Okay - I am not disagreeing with all the negative reviews posted about CalNeva. In fact, many of them are true. But if you're looking for something fancy, then maybe you shouldn't be in Reno.

Look, CalNeva is the place you go to AFTER you lose all your money at the tables at the nice casinos. After you can't borrow another buck at SilverLegacy or ElDorado, or, even, "eh-hem," CircusCircus, than you pick yourself on up out of the gutter and head on over to CalNeva to drink away the last of your dignity.

Really, if you look on the CalNeva website right now, you'll see mid-week room rates at $24 per night. TWENTY FOUR DOLLARS!!! What do these people commenting expect?

When I feel like "slumming it" redneck-style in Reno, there is only one place to turn.

The bar by the sports book is AWESOME. I remember well-made cocktails and good beers at dirt cheap prices. I was getting charged what I usually tip per drink for a bartender. Let me put it this way - since the bar is open 24 hours and there is no "last call," it's so damn cheap that you'd better be sure that you want to bring more than $40 cash or you will be pissed by morning.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. They have a great kitchen on another floor open all night that serves all sorts of deep-fired munchies for pocket change really. There's also a decent diner for you fancy folks who like to sit down.

So, if you have an ounce of adventure and good spirits, then figure out that Reno is not Manhattan or West LA, get out of your head and go have some real Reno fun...at Cal [--] Neva.

Booo-yaaa