“Puzzled with all the negative reviews”

Atlantis Casino Resort Spa
Ranked #1 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sacramento, California
“Puzzled with all the negative reviews”
Reviewed February 21, 2006

The price we paid for the room we received at the Atlantis was an excellent value.

I booked four rooms through Priceline and received a great rate considered to be part of the holiday weekend. We all checked in at 3pm, at the appointed time.

Check-in: It was a circus. Fortunately, we were able to find temporary parking in the porte cochere just to check in. The Atlantis does not have convenient parking. The main parking lot is across South Virginia. At the last minute, one of our party was not able to make it, so I pre-arranged to make sure I was able to check in for that room even though it was paid for in my name. Fortunately, I was able to check in for that room. There is a $3.36 energy charge that was not covered in the Priceline price. I was not surprised by the charge after reading previous reviews, so I was prepared. Tony was really helpful and tried to accommodate our requests of non-smoking rooms. Unfortunately, we were not able to get our rooms somewhat close to each other. I ended up on the 17th floor while the other rooms were on the 14th, the 13th, and the 12th floors in the Atrium Tower. After obtaining our room keys, I told the rest in my party to go to their rooms, while I moved my car to the parking lot. I then had to lug my carry on bag with me across the Sky Terrace over South Virginia to my hotel room. Fortunately, I'm fairly fit so it wasn't a problem for me. Finding the second set of elevator towers was relatively easy. Just look for the atrium area which basically tells you that you're entering the Atrium Tower. The elevators were quick with views of Downtown Reno.

Room: I was in Room 1741 on the 17th floor with views of southern Reno. SEE PICTURES. The room was clean and did not smell of smoke. The room was perfectly clean. Even though I was by myself, I was given two queens. The bathroom was in silver marble with a separate toilet and bathtub. It also had vanilla scented toiletries and an almond lotion bottle. Water pressure was excellent and hot water was plentiful. In effect, the bathroom was huge! I also had an iron and ironing board in my room. The bed was very comfortable with triple sheeting.

Casino: I did not gamble here, strange as it may seem, but I did manage to walk around. The casino is old school with lots of neon and mirrors. It's not really light and airy.

From my hotel room window, I did manage to see the indoor pool area. It's not very big compared to the pictures you see on TV. I did notice an outdoor swimming pool and a hot tub. Had we stayed a couple days longer, we might have used the amenities.

Improvements needed: Parking has to be closer or attached; like not having to cross the street to get there; covered parking too! :-)

Overall, it was a great stay.

20 Thank TheKwietOne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,160)
RHODE ISLAND
Reviewed February 13, 2006

This hotel/casino is truly a tale of two hotels. I gave it a 1 rating to get your attention. My wife and arrived in Reno late Feb. 4, and ended up checking in about 1 am Feb. 5. We had bought a package thru Vacation Outlet for a 7 day stay. When we checked in we found out our "economy room" was actually a tiny room in the motor lodge in the parking lot. We were never told by Vacation Outlet what an economy room was. Since it was so late, we stayed in the lodge that night. After getting a different price to switch to the main hotel from the various people we contacted at the hotel, we finally agreed to pay an extra $20 per night. I had planned on skiing that afternoon, but we ended up not being able to move until after 3 pm. The hotel desk personnel did not treat us very well. Even a call to Vacation Outlet didn't help.

The hotel room in the main hotel was actually very nice. After a few days of gambling, a host from the casino contacted us. From that point on, they couldn't do enough for us. Not only did they comp the difference in the price for the room, all our meals were comped for the last 3 days.

The pool was indoors, but the hot tub is outside, and it did get cold at night. If you wanted to use the indoor hot tub, it was an extra $8.

I would definitely consider staying there again, now knowing what the place was like. I think the motor lodge is just ploy to get most people in there for a cheap room, knowing most people will pay the difference to stay in a nicer rooms in the main hotel. However, i think they nickel and dime you for everything (not coffee maker in the room, a buck every time you make phone call, $8 to not have to freeze when you get out of the hot tub, etc.)

18 Thank 4TH STOOGE
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed February 9, 2006

The Hotel was fine. The room in the luxury tower was in excellent condition and looks as if it had been recently renovated. Housekeeping kept the room sparkling clean. Check-in was efficient considering the long line.

The SALON IS EXCELLENT! Annie cut my hair and is a WONDERFUL stylist. I only wish I lived in Reno so that I could get my hair cut by her every time. Thanks, Annie! The salon was also excellent value, about half the price of what I would have paid in San Francisco.

I didn't have a lot of luck in the Casino but they had all of the table games, slot machines and video poker.

12 Thank tschaefer
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 6, 2006

Beware! you can not judge a Hotel by its rating with Hotels. The motor lodge should be condemmed. I reserved four rooms for friends. 3 out of 4 had problems with sewage odors and mildew. One friend had to change his room because of the smells. One room had numerous burnt out light bulbs. My unit had a leak above the toilet. For all I know this was from the toilet on the second floor. Hotel management does not follow up with complaints about maintenance issues. Hotels unwilling to make adjustment to the price unless the Hotel calls them. Customer sevice at Hotels stated they could not call the Hotel about the issues brought to the managements attention. Another friend booked a room throught Hotwire and for less money than Hotels and his room was in the Atrium tower with all of the luxury of a 3.5 star hotel rating. In my case I would have been much better of at the local Motel 6 for much less money without having to deal with the lack of maintenance. Hotels does not honor their guarantee.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Canada : Qu��bec : Qu��bec City
Reviewed January 26, 2006

I booked a room for the january 21th (a saturday).
We arrived at 23:00 and our room was not ready !
The room was not ready until 23:30 !

There was still trace of urine on the toilet seat in the room. We were too tired to change rooms so we stayed in the room anyway.

The bed was comfy, it was very quiet until 7 am, people were screaming and laughing in the others rooms, regardless of the others on the same floor. It lasted forever. Soundproofing ? I really doubt it.

I would not return there.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank Skyscraper
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 15, 2005

Horrible!! Booked thru internet, and was given a room in the MOTOR LODGE, with one full bed instead of a king, when we were expecting one actually connected to the Casino. We also requested two beds. Staff was very rude, not accomodating. Tried to get an upgrade and was willing to pay the difference. Was offered a cot instead. Called manager, who was unable to fix problem. Couldn't even get refund, since we already checked in. I told her that once we saw the room, and was unable to get our problem resolved, we left and got a room at the Golden Phoenix. She said that once we check in, the fee is non-refundable. How are we supposed to know that the room wasn't what we asked for before we check in? What a hassle, and on my birthday!!

• Stayed October 2005
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
TRACY,CA
Reviewed October 9, 2005

We always stay at Harrah's in Reno for last 25 years but not coming up in about six years we did not care where we stayed. Friends of ours retired and moved to Nev and we came up to spend weekend with them and see new house.

They bragged about The Atlantis Hotel so we tried it. It was alright and room was nice enough, best thing was the Stake House and we had dinner there both nights first night with our friends $230 and second night my wife and I for another $150, over priced.

The hotel was good and had us sign up for their card and told us just call and they would have nice room for us. Thought this was very nice and decided we would return another time.

Few weeks ago we decided to come back up and booked the room on-line with them. After getting everything ok'd we get message to call the hotel and they tell us we have to stay three nights, not two if we want a room.
We were going up Sat and Sunday and leaving on Monday afternoon.

Room was already over $200 for Sat and they wanted us to check in Friday night also at a high rate.

I told the girl we would find somewhere else to stay and was told good luck with that. She told me I could call back just before leaving home and they would probley have rooms then,( forget it!) You don't treat returning customers like this.

I made one phone call to Harrah's and had room West Tower for two nights and good price on Sat and they booked us the show room too!
We went up and had great time with our friends seeing a show and eating at their stake house.

My wife took our Atlantis cards and put them in the trash can on Virginia Street that weekend.

• Stayed July 2005