“Not crazy about the "light" housekeeping...and "cheese" omelets” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Staybridge Suites Reno Nevada

Staybridge Suites Reno Nevada
Ranked #22 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Denver, Colorado
“Not crazy about the "light" housekeeping...and "cheese" omelets”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We'd stayed at a Staybridge in Anaheim last June for a Disneyland trip and LOVED it. So when we went to Reno last week, we were excited to stay at a Staybridge again.

The location is on the far south side of town, which was fine for us since we'd be going to Virginia City, Carson City and Lake Tahoe. And my main priority was to have a suite so our kids could sleep in the living room, and us have our own bedroom. There are very few places in Reno that have affordable suites. But since we had our two young children with us, it would have been nice to be in a hotel/casino where we could take turns running downstairs to gamble a little at night!

The breakfast, as expected, was mostly great. This Staybridge is smaller than the one in Anaheim, but still had a good selection (eggs, sausage or bacon on alternate days, make your own waffles, yogurt, cereals, oatmeal, cut fresh fruit, bananas, apples, oranges, selection of breads to toast, muffins, OJ, cranberry juice, coffee). However, every other day they serve "cheese" omelets. I say "cheese" because it's the fake 7-11 nacho type of cheese that doesn't melt into the eggs, but kind of congeals. Even my young girls were turned off by it, and scraping it off wasn't good enough. They opted for the hard boiled eggs thereafter. The alternate days, they served scrambled eggs with shredded cheddar available. Yum. My advice to them - skip the fake cheese. Just serve with the shredded cheddar.

Also, while these extended stay places naturally attract business people and families, the bathroom counter is tall. So my girls can't reach everything when washing their hands and brushing their teeth. Both stays, we had to run to Wal-Mart to buy a step stool. Advice to Staybridge - have some step stools at the front desk to loan to families with small children.

My only complaint and disappointment in this Staybridge was - the "light" housekeeping. On Friday when we came home, nothing had been done. Beds as we'd left them, towels untouched, trash cans unemptied. Saturday, we asked for a "touch up" before we left that morning. They replenished our towels, and did a weird "sort of made up" beds. Covers somewhat pulled up, the decorative pillow thrown on, but all sloppy like my kids would've done. Trash not emptied. What the heck? I checked the bathtub, and saw our hair in it. !!! I called the Front Desk - what kind of housekeeping could we expect? "Light housekeeping during the week; nothing on weekends. Can I get you something?" I was disgusted and looked in the guest services book. It said "full cleaning on your pre-arranged day upon check in". Since we were "only" staying 5 nights, we had no "pre-arranged" day. So that meant - no vacuuming or bathroom cleaning our entire stay. And they skipped even the "light" duty on Friday.

So while I guess they met their stated standard, except for the missed Friday, I was disappointed. My husband and I discussed it, and in Anaheim, we had obvious maid service every day. Beds were made, trash emptied, towels refreshed, dishes washed. Maybe they weren't vacuuming and cleaning the bathroom every day, but we couldn't tell / by appearances, we were getting service. I guess Anaheim provided more service than they had to. The Reno Staybridge, don't expect more than their stated minimum.
Oh, well - it saved me 75% of what I was going to leave as tip for 5 nights of maid "service"!

Would I stay at the Reno one again? Not sure. I love the included breakfast, and the separate room for my young kids is a top priority (and Homewood Suites doesn't appeal to me). But if there's another place with true 2 room suites, I may try them instead.

Room Tip: It's not that sound-proof. Ask for the top floor to avoid hearing noisy upstairs neighbors.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Teriko

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
global
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Kelli and her team go way beyond standard 'service' to ensure that guests are comfortable.
Facilities are great for this price range (< $ 100) and include small pool, gym, free wifi, and a nice free breakfast daily. Airport shuttle is also provided and the staff has clearly been well coached in guest services. Overall great value and service for this class of hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Larsed
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

Traveling back home between Salt Lake City and Sacramento we could not drive another mile. When we walked into the Staybridge Suites we were overjoyed! The front desk had a very nice young woman who was helpful and even looked up my Priority Club number since I had misplaced it during my travel. We arrived at the room and found it immensely clean and well appointed. We especially liked the kitchen with all the amenities. Beds were very comfortable and having two TVs was a god-send with our two boys. The location of the hotel worked out nicely as it was in a nice, new developed area, away from the casinos, and nearby things we wanted to do- which was mainly sleep! We will definitely come back and will even make a special trip just to stay here!

Room Tip: Room 226 was off the beaten path and on the corner.
1 Thank TreknTrvl
Shingle Springs, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

As former Nevada residents, we don't want to stay in a casino. No slot machines here. Kitchen in each unit, so we can heat leftovers from our meals out or we can put together our own lunches and dinners. Breakfast downstairs is complete with hot and cold items. They even do a reception Tues-Thurs evenings that you could really use as your evening meal. And, they have wine and beer at the reception. Free parking and free wireless internet. Rooms are very clean, all the staff was very courteous. Location is in a professional business park on the edge of a large residential area - not right on busy main roads. My only complaint was that the seat adjuster on the bicycle in the fitness room seemed to be broken, so I couldn't adjust it to fit my leg length. But, they had other equipment I could use, instead, as well as a pool and jacuzzi. Our home away from home!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

My daughter and I stayed July 1-6. I chose the hotel because of the excellent ratings for cleanliness and the fact that it was not in a casino. It exceeded expectations. Service was friendly and timely. The room and grounds were spotless and our requests (esp. for separate beds) were honored on arrival without hassle. The in-room kitchen was well-equipped for small meals and the breakfast buffet was excellent (my daughter loved the self-made waffle machine). Our fencing team decided to have a July 4th cook-out and the staff, while not able to guarantee use of the outdoor patio and grills by policy, were more than accommodating. Special mention to the GM Kelly who worked hard to balance a need to keep to policy (and to explain the policy) yet meet our request to throw a barbecue for 50 hungry fencers. The only small weakness pertained to the fitness room - it is off of the laundry room and gets very warm despite running the a/c at full tilt. Nonetheless, I play to return next time I'm in Reno.

Dayton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

Not the first Staybridge we have stayed at and it won't be the last but circumstances brought out the best of this property. I had snagged the last two bedroom, 2 bath suite when I booked online last spring. My husband, his sister and I are on a three week trip with four nights in Reno. The front desk was incredible as we checked in and moved into our suite. The windows coverings were open and the unit was 80 F...very hot. Once we closed the windows, checked the air, the unit did not cool down. Called down to desk and Marshall, the manager on duty, came up right away...checked everything and told us if it had not started too cool down in a half hour to call again. We gave it 45 minutes but it was 81F so we called, Marshall came back immediately and moved us to two one bedroom units across the hall, apologizing for the inconvenience. Next morning we checked with the front desk and since we were comfortable they did not want to inconvenience us with another move back into a different two bedroom unit which was GREAT news for us since we were really enjoying separate units!

Staybridge Suites have the best breakfast out there...and this one was no exception...one day scrambled eggs and bacon, next day might be cheese omelets and sausage both with salsa and shredded cheese for topping, real oatmeal with all the options, mixed fresh fruit, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, strawberry topping for the waffles, four choices for juice and those non coffee drinkers had soft drinks. Of coarse there is cold cereal, bagels, toast something for your sweet tooth.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday they offer a Sundowner Reception. During our stay it was nachos on Tuesday, hamburgers from the grill on Wednesday and Salad on Thursday. They have beer and red and white wine to go with this.

This is definitely a home away from home...next visit we will stay here again!

Room Tip: Book online as far in advance as possible and book on the Staybridge web site.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

My husband and I have been traveling for over 40 years and have decided that Staybridge Suites on Professional Circle in Reno, Nevada is the best place we’ve ever stayed!! Why? Well, here are the reasons:

1) Staff is professional – friendly, competent, knowledgeable, and happy to work with customers.

2) The place is sparkly clean, comfortable, and well-appointed.

3) Great location – close to a shopping center and the freeway (US 395), but double-pane windows shut out all freeway noise, even on the west (freeway) side. As an added bonus, our west-facing room had beautiful views of Mt. Rose and Slide Mountain!

4) Amenities galore – a 24-hour business center, exercise room, indoor swimming pool and hot tub, in-room WIFI, multiple TVs and DVD players in every suite, plus free laundry facilities (bring your own detergent).

5) Book exchange (“leave one, take one”) and kid games are available.

6) Babies are welcome – a free crib was placed in our suite with a baby blanket and a high chair is provided in the eating area.

7) Delicious and bountiful food abounds! Free breakfast buffet is amazingly varied -- waffles, fruit salad, fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, cottage cheese, pastries, breads, bagels, muffins, hard boiled eggs, alternating offerings of cheese omelettes, scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy, sausage patties & bacon plus juice, milk, coffee, tea, hot chocolate and many types of condiments. The breakfast seemed to have something for everyone – yum!

8) An unusual surprise! Tues., Wed., and Thurs. nights a mini-dinner is supplied. Each night was different – pulled pork, hot dogs, and meatballs were the main “entrees,” some type of salad & bread was included, and free wine, beer, and soda were flowing. Unbelievable perk and the meals were enough for our family of four to be satisfied.

9) Need to call home? No problem – free local and long distance calls! Terrific!

10) Kelly, the general manager, is determined to make her hotel your home away from home and she succeeds! She hired staff who reflect that goal. The front desk group of Alex, Kim, Diane, Marshall, and Brian were warm, accommodating and extremely service oriented. The food staff of Sheila and Shane were conscientious about making sure that the food was appetizingly served, hot and plentiful. Housekeeping headed by Rosa (and aided by Consuelo for our suite) was on task and kept the entire place “spic & span”. Miguel in maintenance promptly fixed a problem we had. All in all, we were delighted with the quality of service we received during our 5-day stay.

11) Can’t think of a single concern that wasn’t dealt with quickly and cheerfully; therefore, we had no complaints. What a concept! Thus, we were extremely pleased with the experience and highly recommend you consider Staybridge Suites in Reno, NV. “Try it, you’ll like it!”

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family