“Another wonderful Peppermill experience!”

Peppermill Resort Spa Casino
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersGold level
Medford, Oregon
“Another wonderful Peppermill experience!”
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Well the Peppermill did it again!! Just got back from a three day stay at our favorite Reno hotel and had another wonderful experience. The wife and I went there with another couple to celebrate my 40th b-day.

There was a large girls Volleyball tournament in town that weekend and the room prices where pretty high everywhere in Reno for that weekend and especially at the Peppermill. We always stay in a Tower Room or the new Tuscany Tower Room and just couldn't pay the asking price especially when we get specials from them all the time for free rooms. So we reluctentley booked a Montego Bay Room and headed out. While on the road the girls kept scheming as to how we can score a room upgrade once we arrived.

We arrived around 11:00 pm on Friday night after a long drive from Oregon. The front desk was packed with people checking in, very long line. However they seemed to have a lot of front desk staff and we only had to wait for maybe 20 mins.

Now the girls are ready to put the plan in to action to get the room upgrade but before we could even say anything the lady welcomes us to the hotel and says I see you have the Montego Bay Room reserved. We said yes but..... and before we could say anything else she says would you be interested in a free upgrade to a Tuscany Tower Suite for the same price. Of course we would!! No hassle room upgrade, very nice!

We checked into our rooms (right across the hall from one another, thanks front desk lady!) and proceeded to hit the casino floor. I hit $50.00 twice on quarter machines (cashed out and put the tickets in my wallet). Woke up late Saturday and hit Biscottis for lunch. The waiter was nice but the service was slow. We ordered two pizzas and spicy bloody mary's. Pizzas are brick oven cooked and where awesome and the bloody mary's where right on the money. No problems here.

Spent Saturday tooling around downtown. It has been pretty depressed in the downtown area for a while but this day was 70 degrees and sunny and downtown was packed with people walking around. It was nice to see.

Went to the Bimini Steakhouse for a special b-day dinner Saturday night at the hotel. We had eaten there last year so we kind of knew what to expect. This place is definitely on the expensive side but I think it's worth it. I had the 12oz. fillet and my wife had the 8oz. and they where cooked perfectly and melted in your mouth. We had the Lobster Mashed Potatoes and the Mac and Cheese for our sides and they did not disappoint. We had awesome service from the wait staff. John was our waiter and had a great presence about him. I had ordered a Makers Mark and Coke before dinner and one with my dinner and after we where done eating he asked if I would like another one and I said I was ok. He said are you sure it will be on the house for you b-day. Ok you twisted my arm I will take you up on that! I finished that one and he came by again and asked me if I wanted another again I said I'm ok but he said well it will be on the house again so of course I couldn't pass it up and had another! (keep in mind these aren't the weak dixie cup sized served in the casino but large well mixed whiskey and cokes). By then we all had enough food, wine and cocktails that we where done. John came around and asked about dessert and we said no way we are to full! Again he said are you sure I can get you a nice slice of cheese cake to take back to your room at no charge for your b-day! Of course we took him up on the offer and had a nice snack later! We had an absolutely great experience at Bimini's and even though it was pricey ($148 for the two of us with tip and taxes) i felt like at least we had great food, service, good laughs with our friends and some great freebies!

We have been staying at the Peppermill once a year for almost thirteen years and will continue staying there for our annual Reno trip. When we checked out on the TV the charges where exactly what was told to us at the desk when we checked in. We had absolutely no problems with any of the hotel staff, the service or the food (the slots could be a little looser, but hey it's called gambling!) and would defininately recommend this place to anyone!!! See you next spring!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,012)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I've lived in Reno for more than 30 years & always recommended the Peppermill to friends & family, not anymore. We had 2 occasions in April where different groups of family stayed there & we ate at 4 different restaurants, & all four meals were either not very good or just terrible including the service. The whole atmosphere of the casino has changed, yes it is still a very beautiful property, but a lot of the employees have a "I don't care attitude" yet they still expect you to tip them for every little thing. We will no longer give our business to them.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank Residence2255
mybeach101
Reviewed April 23, 2010

The property is beautiful and room was adequate. My husband and I (we are in our 50's) were exploring the hotel. We were registered guests in appropriate clothing. We went to enter the pool area and this large young man started yelling at us (I mean full volume) There was no sign, but apparently one must register with him before going into the pool area. He totally scarred us. I stay in hotels on average 12 nights per month. I have never had anything like this happen anywhere. I brought my concern up to the fitness manager and he was fine with it. I have to conclude that its okay for staff at the Peppermill Hotel to abuse their guests.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank mybeach101f
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Having been to Reno a couple of times before, we were looking for someplace that would make the stay a bit nicer. We were there this year for the National Bowling tournament, that is in Reno every 3 years. The Tuscany Towers were were a great choice! After finally finding the correct entrance off of Virgina Avenue to enter on (the first entrance you see when coming from the airport is actually the casino - signs are very hard to read in daylight, but lit up at night), we had no problems inside finding our way to the check in. I had previously read about the separate check in for the Towers, which was nice, as the line for the Peppermill was long, but only one other person was at the check in desk for the Towers. Note that this desk is only open 8am to 8pm!
The walk from the Peppermill casino is short, but just far enough away to escape the noise and smokiness.
The hotel is very clean and relaxing. The rooms are a bit over the top for me - lots of molding/trim work on everything (around the TVs, door frames, ceiling), but very comfortable. The central heating/air is very quiet and did not keep us awake at night. We either lucked out with relatively polite neighbors, or the engineering of the infrastructure is so good that we barely heard a peep. My only minor complaint was actually about the bed - both my husband and I felt as if there was a slope from the center of the bed outward. I felt like I was going to roll off the bed if I wasn't careful!
The pool area was beautiful, although we didn't have the time to use it.
The Biscotti's restaurant was good - large menu with decent prices. We also enjoyed a gelato at the nearby stand one day - so many wonderful flavors to choose from!
The Peppermill also offered a very good coupon book with gambling, food and shopping deals that were actually worth-while. Casino was nice, although we aren't really gamblers.
Although pricier than other hotels in Reno, this one was worth it. We plan on making this our "go to" stay every year we are there.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed April 17, 2010

I booked a vacation at the Peppermill 4 months in advance. Before making reservations I was reading reviews for about two months. Over the course of time it seemed the majority of the reviews for Reno in general were negative and many people complaining about petty problems. I live in Ct. and my home casino is the Mohegan Sun, so I know what a first class establishment should look like.
My wife and I stayed at a tuscany tower suite. Upon checkin I didn't realize that the tuscany had a separate registration, so we had to wait on line at the general registration area, but it moved quickly. A 1 king bedroom was not available until 3 pm so the man offered an upgrade pool level with patio at no charge. We decided to take double bed with a view. The tuscany area of the resort was unbelieveable. Marble, chanderliers artwork, they spared no expense. The room was great and was cleaned to our standards. We signed up for a players card so we got coupons galore, such as discounts on food and playing coupons. I do not have one complaint about this resort and I dare someone to mention one. I played for 4 nites blackjack and received after asking for, comped resort fee and $50 food comp. Yes there is smoke in the casino, but it is manageable. If you sit at an empty table they will make it no smoking upon your request even if other people sit down. I highly suggest you book a one day tour with BAYLINE TOURS. $69 includes narrated tour which includes Lake Tahoe, Carson City, and Virginia City and lunch included, many stops for photos. We went downtown twice for two shows. Downtown Reno is similiar to downtown Vegas but a lot cleaner. Yes their were some panhandlers but they are not a problem. If you are not able to walk down a street and be able to say to someone you have no extra change stay in your house and don't go on vacation. The downtown casinos are a little run down but they have excellent buys for food and entertainment. You need to do research on the internet at sites such as reno.com and visitrenotahoe.com among others. If you are tired of las vegas and want to try something new and cheaper" run don't walk to the PEPPERMILL"

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank only1choice
Burney,Ca
Reviewed April 13, 2010

We are fairly frequent guests at the Peppermill and have always liked going there as a couple. But it has never really seemed like a place to bring the kids. That has changed. The Tuscan tower and new pools are great for the family. The tower feels like a separate resort and keeps the kids away from all the smoke and people enjoying themselves a little to much (drunks). We traveled with a teenager and a 5 year old who both had a great time. They loved the pool and the new arcade alot, and having some food options on the new side of the hotel worked out well. We also got to check-in at the Tuscan tower check-in area which I think is a relatively new thing. The line at the main desk gets a little crazy and can take awhile sometimes, When we walked in there was probably a 1/2 hour wait at the main check-in and I was unhappy, then I saw a sign directing us up the escalators and past the pool to another check-in area and there was only one couple ahead of us. After being on the road for nearly 3 hours, that was a welcome sight. Back to the review. The room was fairly large w/two king size beds overlooking the pools.The beds are really comfortable and everyone slept well. The bathroom was amazing, I have stayed at alot of hotels and this was handsdown the best bathroom I have ever had. My 5 year old loved the big soaking/jet tub and the large dual showerhead shower was really nice. This bathroom was the size of my kitchen at home. The gambling didn't go as well as expected but I still can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Cory H
west coast
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We had our first experience staying at the Peppermill. Our room was lovely. The view from our room were three beautiful pools, and two hot tubs. Warm water cascaded from the roof of the building, into one of the pools. The beds were sooo comfortable. All of the employees were very accommodating. The food was great. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple