“NOT for families!!”

Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersGold level
“NOT for families!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2005

We stayed at the Peppermill May 10-12 2005 with our 3yr old after searching for a place that was near skiing (for dad) and had a pool (for mom and kiddo).
We paid $169/nt for a NON smoking 'luxury' suite (most rooms go for $50/nt) and found a very tacky but fun mirrored room w/jacuzzi....that smelled ALOT like smoke. Even the pillow cases smelled like smoke - the next day we were switched to another nonsmoking room that was a bit better, but no compensation was made for our night of coughing (we had checked in late the first nite and didn't switch b/c child had fallen asleep immediately).
When I had called to make the reservation and asked if it was 'family friendly' I was assured that it certainly was!! Even the pool had an animatronics show that children loved, I was told by the cheery reservationist!!! So the next day we went to the pool (remember, this IS Reno, so you have to walk through choking smoke to get to the pool, restaurant or ANYthing in the hotel). My child and I were summarily kicked out of the otherwise empty hottub 45 seconds after getting in it, as she was 'too young to be in that kind of heat', said the nasty spa manager lady. I told her that since I was pregnant, I couldn't even be in something 'too hot' and it was certainly cooler than our hottub at home, so it would be fine for our child if I was with her. She said "NO-GET OUT." When I confronted her with her unnecessarily nasty attitude and said "I was under the impression that the Peppermill was 'family friendly'", she said "I would NEVER tell people that we are family friendly nor do we try and bill ourselves that way" My response was, " well, clearly YOU are not, but why do you have a fuzzy animal show above the pool (that, by the way, was not working but you could see the animals in their 'caves')?" She just said again, " We are not family friendly and you are NOT allowed to bring your child in the hottub!" and walked away from me.
So that was that. You heard it from the manager's mouth. NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY!!!!!!
Go to gamble, I guess, but leave the kids at home!!!

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,952)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reno, NV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2005

I stayed one night in an Imperial Suite (4th upgrade from smallest suite) on Jan. 20th, 2005. It was a clean and spacious suite that included a jetted hot tub (enough room for two people), a living area with a winding sectional sofa, coffee table and tv, a separate sleeping area with king-size bed, another tv, two very large windows (ask to be put up higher to get a good view of the city) and steam shower.

The room had these really neat streaming lights across the trim of the room in addition to many lamps and lights throughout the room. There were also heavy curtains that blocked out a lot of sunlight, which I loved because I like to sleep in when on vacation!

I got a good deal. I paid only $110 for this 595 sq. ft. room. It was in a good/safe location, but it's not located directly in downtown, which may be either a good or bad thing depending on the traveler. It's about a 5-min. (or less) drive to the heart of downtown Reno.

Sometimes they offer a "Lovers' Weekend Getaway" special that offers a Spa Suite (smallest suite/392 sq. ft.) and a $50 meal voucher to use at some of the casino's restaurants. This costs about $120 (maybe a bit less).

• Stayed January 2005
11 Thank sweetpixee
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2005

We stayed at the Peppermill for 3 days and thought the casino was nice but the rooms we got were not that great. The rooms were in an older section attached by a sky bridge. The rooms were small and on the dark side but they were very clean.
We enjoyed the casino but if we went back we would not stay in that section of rooms again. The food at the cafe was OK, nothing great. We decided to eat our meals elsewhere after having a breakfast and dinner at the Peppermill.
We went downtown our second night there and couldn't believe how much it has changed since our last visit to Reno many years ago. It was dirty and we did not feel safe walking down side streets. We did not go back downtown during our stay and if we went back we would stay at the Peppermill and not bother to go downtown at all. We heard they were trying to clean up the downtown area and it really needs it.

9 Thank stitcher
Auburn, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2005

We stay here a lot - we keep the comps coming. The rooms are always good, and we are almost always accomodated nicely by the front desk staff in whatever we're looking for (we're not high maintenance and we're not high rollers, so we're staying in regular tower rooms). The food is always good, no matter which restaurant we try. The steak house is particularly good. The casino is neon-glitzy - fun. They've redone some of the areas and made it look even nicer. All-in-all, it's always a nice stay.

• Stayed February 2005
7 Thank Auburn_Traveller
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2005

I travel to Reno two or three times a year on business and this time I decided to check out the recommendations on Trip Advisor. Boy, am I glad I did! The Peppermill is really a very cool hotel in an otherwise depressing hotel town.

I will not use this forum to knock Reno, it’s just that....well...this is not the place that I would plan my two week vacation around if you catch my drift.

Back to the Peppermill- This place is an interior decorator's delight. I would not be surprised if Interior Designer schools (If there are such schools) have field trips here and/or use this place as a case study. All I can say is that this casino is a garden of visual delights - wacky and neon colors bright. Now, you would not want the folks who designed this place to decorate your office or country club, but here, at this casino in Reno, NV, it all comes together in a glorious way. The rooms are interesting, too. Very clean and decorated in a Studio 54 - VIP lounge kind of way. My room has black carpeting and a love seat! Beds are comfortable, bathrooms are very good and clean and the staff is very pleasant.

Free Valet parking with in and out privileges and broadband (extra, of course).

There is every kind of dining in this hotel/casino, but the best is Oceano. This restaurant has awesome- fresh seafood and depending on where you are seated, you can actually watch the chefs cooking it. They even make specialty seafood soups from scratch and to order. The prices are very good. Sushi looks good, but I couldn’t get past the fresh Alaskan oysters on the half shell and their outstanding soups to try it. This restaurant gets my highest recommendation in all of Reno.

I think anyone coming to Reno for whatever reason will love The Peppermill.

Do like I did-take a deep breath and dive into this place, I promise that you will thank me.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2005

I booked a hotel room through hotels at the Peppermill in Reno, NV. I have stayed at the Peppermill many times before and loved the rooms. When we checked in we were given a room in the "motor lodge" section of the hotel, which, I was unaware that they even had this option. When I booked a room at the Peppermill I assumed I would be staying in one of the nice rooms in the hotel and not the "motor lodge" behind the hotel which was next to the loading dock. Trucks were in and out all night and early morning, uncomforatble beds and barely enough room for the bed.

What an extremely unprofessional service that does not inform its members that such an option even exists. If I wanted to stay in a motor lodge I would have booked myself in the Motel 6, which, by the way, would have been 100 times better than the room that I stayed in at the Peppermill "motor lodge."

I will never use hotels again and I am removing it from my favorites and alert links.

I recommend that when using this service you make sure get all the facts regarding your room.

• Stayed March 2005
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2005

We visited the Peppermill in March 05 and it was great! The hotel and rooms were like 70's disco glitz Vegas, but in a good way - tacky, but clean, comfy and retro. Mirrors and velvet all over the place! Check in was smooth, staff were friendly, rooms were large and quiet, and the casino staff were friendlier than I could ever expect. Hotel sushi restaurant was good too. If you want a preview of some Vegas glitz without the nightmare of Vegas crowds and prices, this is the place to go!

10 Thank ellisreese_123