“Interesting hotel--suites were okay”

Peppermill Resort Spa Casino
Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I went on a vacation by myself to Reno for my birthday. I got there and there was this huge line to check in. I waited patiently and went up and got my room. I really liked the room I got. I had been scared because it was booked through Priceline.com. I decided to try to upgrade my room. I went and got a Grand Suite which turned out to be the same size as the previous room except instead of two queen beds there was a king size bed, bar, and jacuzzi tub.

First thing I noticed was there was a coffee stain on the bedspread. I decided to think nothing of it since I planned to sleep on the other side of the bed. The next morning the bedspread was replaced.

Second, I bought two sodas from the arcade (A little expensive but a lot cheaper then the gift shop) and discovered that the Automatic Ice Machine didn't work. I called and found out that they were throwing all of those out. I thought okay whatever there's an ice machine across from me.

I loved the Passport club because it made the food there very reasonable. I ate at Chi, Coffee Shop, and Biscotti's and enjoyed all three. It certainly was better then when I ventured out on a city bus to visit Circus Circus and got wheat toast instead of white and cold hashbrowns.

All in all I'd say I enjoyed my stay but I think it would have been alright to skip the upgrade.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank kryceksangel
There are newer reviews for Peppermill Resort Spa Casino

Reviewed May 17, 2009

My husband, not one to plan, gave me what I thought would be the ultimate present for turning 58, a spa package in Reno. He not only thought of it by himself, but planned it a month ahead.

I was thrilled and spent the month in great aniticipation. He had purchased the Spa Package which included two nights stay and a hair renewal package and a bronzing appointment. The Spa was wonderful - the stay was not.

The problems started when I gave them my voucher for my spa package. Brad, the officious front desk man told me he would be charging my room. No I tell him, my husband had already paid for this, we had already even paid the credit card bill. Too bad says he, turns out they have to charge you, then the front desk uncharges you. HUH????? Not to worry says Brad, never had a problem with it. He wouldn't give me my voucher back and I had no proof I had paid. I kept this from my husband and crossed my fingers that the front desk would do their part correctly. BAD IDEA!0

Beware, the personnel at the Peppermill evidently do not see themselves as "ambassadors of good will". From the time of check-in 4 in house meals and 1/2 a day at the slots, everyone we came into contact with was surly, and very unhelpful,

The rooms are beautiful, but the housekeeping service failed to replenish the amenities they brag about, and left us with so little toilet paper, we had to resort to kleenix. The rooms are very, very far away from the casino and from desk check in. We were in the Tuscany towers, which meant finding an escalator, then a search for an elevator which is quite some distance from the escalator, the finally a long walk to our room.

The slots are very dull. Most of them the same and geared to have you spending a lot. The first day, I gave up on a slot, and tried to cash out, but the machine would not print. I waited patiently for 10 minutes, were my husbands patience gave out and he went in search of some help. The first waiter he found said she would let someone know. 5 minutes later, he found someone else, whose response was to look around the room, as if we had not been doing that for more than a quarter of an hour already. He walked away steaming and the waiter, noticing the steam, actually went to the cashier and asked for some help for us. 10 minutes later, a young man came and fixed the printer. When we asked what took so long, he told us that it wasn't that long. Okay, I know it was my birthday and I was sensitive to time passing, but sheeeeeeeeez. I asked to speak to a manager, just to let them know of the issue (seems the floor guys spend most of their time goofing around with each other and are not aware of what is going on in the floor) 5 more minutes, and a manager came, who told me it wasn't that long of a wait (20 minutes by her count - but I don't know when she started counting).

Having had enough, my husband declared it lunch time and we left the slots to fend for themselves. Lunch as Biscotti's was a HORRIBLE experience. My stomach was still in my throat, so I ordered French Onion Soup. OMG - it was disgusting. It was sweet and quite inedible. I picked at my husband's side order while he finished off a very greasy burger. Ewwwwwww.

When the waiter came, I told him I was not happy with the soup. He said, "I could tell". That was all . . . evidently not a new experience for Biscotti's - so buyer beware, eat here only if you are hungry for something greasy.

For breakfast the next morning we tried the cafe. BIG MISTAKE. They seated me while my husband was in the restroom. I asked the front desk to make sure to tell my husband where I was, as one needed to drop breadcrumbs to find your way back. Unfortunately, the Greeter could not be held to her word, so my husband spent quite some time looking for me. EGADSSSSSS.

I was determined not to let this get to me, so I ordered their $8.95 continental breakfast, which consisted of juice, coffee and a pastry. The service was bad, but only because they seated us with a waitress who was handling a party of 25. Fun, Fun, Fun.

When the bill came, you guessed it - they charged me $8.95 plus for coffee. The cashier did take the coffee off the tab, but it was just another example of their horrible service.

Checkout time - oh boy, now I had to face the issue of the spa charges. We had meticulously not touch anything on the tray, because they warn you that you will be charged immediately. So since we had already paid for the package with included the room and the spa, we had expected no charges. Instead they charged us $148.00 which included the spa plus two days service fees. SERVICE FEE?????? I had to confess about Brad and his advice not to worry my pretty little head about the spa charges cuz the front desk would know what to do. Only the front desk, did NOT know what to do. She disappeared and 5 minutes later came back and said she would reverse the Spa fees and we only owed 18.00 for the service fee. SERVICE FEE????? What service??? I lost it at this point and again asked for a manager, with noooooooooooooooooooo hope of satisfaction. A young man came out. Tried to explain the spa package process, tried to apologize for the service and said if we came back to ask for him and he would "gaurantee" that we would have a great time. WHO IS HE KIDDING?????

I hope not you, or anyone that has the chance to research the Peppermill. Since I do a lot of my research on Trip Advisor, I am well aware that sometimes you just get a cranky reviewer, and will take the chance that the facility was just having an off time. I hope I have given enough information for you to make an informed decision about staying at the Peppermill in Reno.

7  Thank Krebsbach
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Stayed 3 days. Negatives: * Cigarette butt in elevator all three days, even after pointed out to staff. *White bedspread had a blood stain on it. Called housekeeping, they replaced but they left the stained bedspread at the end of the hall til next day. *Confetti in one corner of the room. *$15 for a pot of coffee. *They charged the tip for the room service. The room "service" was not worth the tip. *Very expensive to eat cheap. Service was very slow @ the cafe. Aida was a great server. *No soda machines on the hotel floors. $2 in gift shop for a can of soda. *Rude auto valet. Positive: *Casino floor was not loud. Able to speak with husband in a normal voice. Did not have to yell. This was an okay hotel (3 star) trying to appear to be a 5 star hotel. The only props I can give it is the casino.

2  Thank CA_Suite
Reviewed May 10, 2009

We stayed at the Peppermill because a friend of ours entered a poker tournament there. We stayed on the 17th floor in the tower. Our room was quite large, with a decent flat screen television, a sofa and several chairs along with the king sized bed. Next to our room was a small conference room, so there was almost no noise, and that made sleeping nice. The mountain view was lovely and the view down on the pools was entertaining. We had a smoking room, which was a mistake. The curtains were badly stained, the room seemed well ventilated, but that was when the air was on - when it was off, the room was far too smoky. It really needed a thorough steam clean of the carpet and upholstered furniture - even the bathroom smelled smoky. Of course, it is not easy to make a smoking room palatable. The Tuscany tower is beautiful, as is the lounge there. The older part of the casino is classic ... dark, padded, and neon-lit, but just what you would expect. With the casino being so far from any other entertainment, I would have liked more going on in the casino. The restaurants are a bit pricey so we didn't have dinner there, but drove to Virgina City to eat at the Cafe Del Rio-- amazing food, and so worth the trip. Overall, we had a nice time and Peppermill has a little something for everyone and caters to multiple price points.

Reviewed April 30, 2009

A couple of weeks ago a friend and I spent 3 nights at the Peppermill in the "Montego West" wing. I guess they put the $21/night (yes, under $75 for 3 nights!) people in this kind of weird, remote wing of the hotel. But all in all, what a great place and GREAT value!

My friend and I were in town for a 3 day event at the old Hilton, but prices were a little high so we stayed at Peppermill for the amazing $21/night rate, Tues, Wed, Thurs nights. The Peppermill is its own self-contained world. Not that near downtown or really anything else you'd want to do, I think most people probably check in and stay within the complex the entire time.

The only mishap of the week was the difficulty we had finding our room in the "Montego Bay West" wing. From the front desk, you have to take an escalator, a long hallway, then go OUTSIDE, then into a separate building to get to these rooms. Way weird! But once there, we found a completely remodeled room with reasonable decor (maybe a bit over the top, but it's a casino!), a brand new granite bathroom, very comfy beds, and a 42" flat screen TV wall mounted. Nice!

After that first journey to find the room, we realized that there is parking near the Montego building, so we came and went from there on future visits. So the only inconvenience (minor) was having to go outside for a few seconds to/from getting coffee or the casino.

We did not use the spa or pool, but they both looked really nice. The casino is also very nice and huge. There are several restaurants, we only used the coffee place and the dessert/gelato bar - both were fine experiences and not too terribly expensive.

All in all, I would definitely stay at the Peppermill again, even with a not-as-great deal. If I were paying more I'd want a more conveniently located room. But even if I were in the Montego Bay West wing on another occasion, if it were $21/night, that'd be a-ok.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank CherHaines
Reviewed April 28, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights in a double king suite. Got it for $94 per night on Hotwire.

Checked in on a Thursday night for a sporting event and waited in line at least 30 minutes to check in. (If this happens to you--there's a bar directly behind the line. Get a cocktail and relax while in line.) Once we made it to the check-in desk, things were very fast and efficient. We called ahead to request a non-smoking room, and a double king, and both requests were honored.

When we opened the door, we were greeted with dimmed lights, and Dean Martin singing. Turns out the large-screen TV was set to display Italian street scenes, and Frank & Dean were crooning away. What a wonderful way to enter the room! The screen displayed a welcome message and a name--unfortunately, the name was not ours.

Although the Peppermill describes this as a suite, it was not. It was a generously sized hotel room with a huge bathroom. The room was subtly over-the-top (can't describe it any other way, sorry!). Lots of marble, velveteen and organza drapes, and tons of filleted frames--even around the large screen TV. Most lights were dimmable. There was a fridge, but no room for our stuff, as it was pre-filled with expensive stuff. There was also a robobar with snacks--you'll be charged if you so much as lift a can of nuts off the tray. Stay away!

The bathroom was fab. It's separated from the bedroom by an obscured glass door. Marble floors and counters, double sinks, vanity with makeup mirror, full-sized hair dryer (I hate those Barbie-sized dryers) and a flat-screen tv with remote that you could watch from the whirlpool tub. There was a walk-in shower with stone floors, dual shower heads, and seat. The shower door was clear glass, but all you could see was the seat, not necessarily the person showering. The toilet was behind a separate door with obscured glass, and there was a phone. This never fails to amuse me! All the lights in the bathroom were dimmable. Two very small canned lights stayed on (very dim) all night over the sinks so you didn't have to stumble around in the dark.

On this floor (10th), there were no adjoining rooms. Instead, you walked into a door and found the door to two rooms. If you book two rooms, you can close and lock the outer door, open up the two doors, and move back and forth in privacy. Although it was pretty quiet during our Thurs-Sun stay, we ended up shutting the outer door Saturday night to cut down on the noise. Pretty nice!

There were two large pools. Didn't try the spa. There was also a $7.84 daily resort fee.

We ate at Oceano's (not bad, service left a lot to be desired) which was a veritable sea of neon and a lot of fun. See the pics! Also ate at Bimini's Steakhouse--stellar service, awesome food. There's a small cafe with sweets and crepes right by the elevator to the Tuscany Towers. Not bad, but stay away from the Nutella crepes--my first grader could do better.

I will definitely stay here again on my next trip to Reno!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
6  Thank AnonymousMe
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Stayed in the Peppermill Tower. Room was clean and comfortable. Pillows so-so, linens were high thread count but felt coarse...harsh detergent perhaps. Mattresses

Casino was also quite clean and staff was friendly and helpful.
Yes, for those of us who live in states than ban smoking in all public places, it is unpleasant to return to an environment that allows smoking...I played on the machines in the Fish bar during the day to avoid the smoke. (The bar in the Fish bar does not open until 4pm so it was quite empty.) Plenty of full pay VP at the 25c level.

The spa is brand new and is absolutely wonderful. It was open until 9PM during my stay and was a fabulous retreat after a long day. The fitness center was top notch. The cardio machines all have TV monitor that receive 3x the number of channels that the hotel room TV's receive. If the ick factor doesn't bother you, there are headphones provided, I just used my own.
The food at the coffee shop was very good. The food and atmosphere at Biscotti's was wonderful. Our server, Jesus, was exceptional. He appeared at our table at precisely the moments we needed him without hovering or interrupting.
The Island buffet was below average in quality but had plenty of food choices.
The food at Oceano was also below average but the service was good. My husband had grit in the clams in his dish and the waitress took it off our bill without question.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business