“Famous hole, average course”

LakeRidge Golf Course
Ranked #3 of 30 Outdoor Activities in Reno
More attraction details
Owner description: Designed by Robert Trent Jones, this course features a par 3 island and is considered one of Reno's best.
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This course didn't seem as well maintained as some other reviews state. Several fairways were hard and had large brown spots and the Canada geese were EVERYwhere and so was their droppings. Gross. It really takes away from the enjoyment of the game when you have to constantly watch where you walk and hope the ball doesn't land in it. Most tee boxes were covered with it. I didn't get an answer to my question about whether or not this was seasonal and bad timing on my part but September isn't the best month for the course even though the weather was fabulous! It could be a much pretty course but needs a little tlc. The famous hole #15 was, however, well kept and the view was fantastic! I even made the shot over the water easily from the ladies tee. I live in a resort community in Texas with 4 courses around me so my expectations of how a course should look are pretty high. Goose poop aside, Lakeridge was still a challenging course with several holes side by side allowing errant golf balls to stray into other fairways or greens. I would like to play again without geese present. Heard lots about marmots running around the course but we saw none. Liked the gps on the carts. Pro shop staff very friendly.

There are newer reviews for LakeRidge Golf Course

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I am a 16 handicap and my friend was a 12. Nice course, well kept up. course rating was 129.

Challenging holes and very nice people

Had a great time

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This course is in excellent condition for a pay to play, better than many private clubs I have played. Greens were inconsistent for speed and without local knowledge you will lose 4-6 strokes on greens that do not break the way you read the slope. The fairways were excellent, the traps needed a little more sand but they were consistent. This course was well worth the price at $55 including cart fee. The course marshal let a five some slow play, which is why the course did not get a rating of 5.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

It's true - Hole #15 offers spectacular views! Great course and very well maintained. Had a scramble here this week and the entire staff was great to all of us - thank you! Can't wait to play this course again!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have played a lot of courses in my six years of playing golf--LakeRidge was my 72nd. I have to say that the golf experience at LakeRidge was one of the best golf experiences I have had, despite being really hot (it was over 90). Lots of things combine to make this an excellent course. For reference, I'm a 14-15 index.

FAIRWAYS: The fairways on this course are well kept, with few divots and well mown grass. The rough is appropriately rough, and there is a lot of water and traps to keep accuracy important. The fairways are adequately wide--probably wider, in most cases, than most courses I play regularly.

GREENS: Tough to read, fast, but consistent. The grass on the greens is highly directional--in one direction, the ball goes about 10 percent farther than in the other. That adds to the "fun" of putting.

SAND BUNKERS: Are filled with coarse, grainy sand. I do not believe that the bunkers are up to the standard of the rest of the course, although I was only in two all day I would suggest that some more time and money spent on the bunkers would be helpful.

WATER: Everywhere. That *&^# stream seems to crop up everywhere, going across the front of at least two holes, and being a factor in several others. And there are a number of lakes--some pristine, others covered in algae (at least in the season we were there).

COURSE HEATERS: Surprise--in August this course is HOT. On the day we played, at 2 pm, it was well over 90 degrees. And there is not a lot of drinking water on the course, although the course provides a beverage cooler on cart. I would suggest that before you tee off you get at least three bottles of water for each player and put them in the cooler. Then ask for additional ice. You will need it in summer.

SERVICE: The cart personnel are excellent. We actually had to have another cart--my playing partners' cart ran out of juice on hole 14. We called in as we teed off on 14, and a new cart was in our hands before we finished our second shots (we pushed his cart with mine to the drives). The cart personnel were friendly and helpful.

ON COURSE BEVERAGE/FOOD SERVICE: We saw the beverage cart on hole 1, before we teed off. And nevermore. That was a disappointment that actually changed the play of the course. At the restrooms, there are coke machines.

PACE OF PLAY: We actually finished our round in less than 3:45. Pace of play was excellent.

SCENERY/BEAUTY: There are several beautiful holes, but the premier hole is 15. It is a 239 yard (Jones tee) to 154 (Manna tee) par 3 with a huge downhill to an island green. At the top, you have a huge view over a lake to downtown Reno. This hole, by itself, is worth the price of admission.

GPS: Is excellent, with yardage both on the screen and in a small screen on the back of the cart above your clubs. That's a really useful feature, and the GPS was pretty darned accurate if you allowed it to stabilize for 10 seconds.

COST/VALUE: We played on a Sunday afternoon after 2 pm in the summer. The cost of the round was a $45. For a course of this caliber, I think that is a modest price.

SUMMARY: This course ranks in the top courses I have played. You need to be prepared for it with lots of hydration. The course, with the exception of the bunkers, is in superb shape, has a lot of beauty, and is a bargain. The service was friendly and professional. I wish we had seen the drink cart on course. I would and will love to play this course again.

2  Thank LagunaMike