“Fresh food in Reno”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We tried a different breakfast each day for a week, and this was the best we found. It is off the beaten path near Renown Medical Center and only open for breakfast and lunch. The decor is eclectic/utilitarian, and the food was excellent in this small, order at the counter, cafe. Prices were quite moderate for Reno. We will make this a regular stop during our visits.

1  Thank tultrip

Reviewed June 29, 2013

saw this place on yelp.we went ..and returned many times and brought friends! the staff is wonderful the foods amazing!

2  Thank stageguy4u
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Open limited hours Mon-Fri 7am-2:30pm. We're staying nearby and only walked about a block for lunch. It smelled so good when we came in. We got two sandwiches, a small cup of soup, and a 12oz can of soda for over $23. Plus a couple bucks for tip. It seemed to take forever to get the sandwiches. Finally we got the Cowgirl tri-tip pannini with addictive horseradish dressing - soooo good, and too hot to eat when it came out. Also the turkey sandwich with sun-dried tomato pesto - even better - with a mild, tingly dressing. The soup was a nice buttery/pumpkin/curry flavored thin vegetable, but wasn't very hot and didn't come with crackers. The cookies looked delectable and other customers were raving about them, but it turned us off that they were just out in the open right next to the busy register with people reaching over and breathing on them. Also the kitchen staff hurriedly and frequently stumbles over the customers in line carrying big pans, bags of food and bowls. It's a good thing their food is phenomenal or people wouldn't come back. We won't frequent the place because it is so pricey, but we will be back.

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went here for lunch early (11:15). The downside of our visit was that it still took 20 minutes for us to get our food, even though there was only one other person there.

The grilled cheese is excellent (definitely try) and my wife enjoyed the Reuben. If I lived in Reno and worked downtown I would plan to wait 20-30 min for my food, but I would be a regular.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I honestly decided to pay a visit to this restaurant based on the reviews! I was not disappointed. It's generally a "sandwich place" and very busy with the lunch crowd... you order at the counter and then have a seat with a number for your table. Even though I went when it was actually not peak lunch time, it was still crowded and the line when I left was about 8 people deep. I had the Cowgirl sandwich, which was the one they tout as being featured on the Food Network. The trip tip was moist and not overly flavorful so it did not compete with the goat cheese but, instead, complemented it nicely. There were caramelized onions on the sandwich, too, but not enough for my taste. Overall, it was a pretty good sandwich. The highlight of my lunch, however, was the chicken curry with apple soup that was on special that day-- it was creamy with chunks of chicken and perfectly spiced. It was a good pair with the sandwich I chose.

As for the rest... the girls at the counter were very pleasant and the restaurant's baked goods looked delightful... wish I would have had room! I did feel a little pressure as I approached the counter to make a decision quickly, such that I didn't feel like I could really consider for any significant amount of time what I wanted to order or whether I wanted some sweets to have for dessert or take with me. I would have just liked a little more time to think things through, because there were so many interesting choices. I don't want to imply that the staff was pressuring me, though-- they did not and were all very nice. The restaurant itself is a little crowded with tables, and forget about having any type of private conversation here-- your neighbors will hear it all. Also, because of the jammed-in tables in the place, with barely enough room to walk by someone without hitting them with your purse, I felt a little claustrophobic and like, if I was sitting in the back, I would have a hard time getting out of the place if there happened to be a fire or other emergency.

All in all, I would return... and next time try something different!

Been to Dish Cafe? Share your experiences!