“Would I return - definitely not!”

Saddle West Hotel, Casino and RV Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Pahrump
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The location, Pahrump, was only chosen because the name tickled us. Also, when we looked on the web site, only three sites came up and we both thought we were going to be in a one-horse town.

The room was ok - nothing special. Tiny towels which didn't cover your modesty. No hair dryer in sight - you needed to collect from the reception desk (only hotel/motel on our 16 day trip that adopted this approach) and no complimentary shampoo/conditioner etc although they did supply soap.

Tried sitting around the small pool but unruly children and their very uninterested mother allowed them to dive bomb causing guests to get wet (even though there were no diving and pool etiquette signs). There were quite a few RVs hooked up and I'm afraid I now know the real definition of 'trailer trash'.

Smelly due to ingrained cigarettes.....could do with upgrading the air conditioning system to flush out the smell.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I went for a week-long handgun training course at Front Sight in Pahrump, Nevada (about 45 minutes outside of Las Vegas). This is literally the middle of nowhere.
Not wanting to drive such a long way twice each day (especially after 8 hours on the firing range), we opted to stay at the Saddle West - one of only 2 or 3 hotels in the booming metropolis of Pahrump.

The rooms are clean but sparse. We had plenty of space to unpack and get settled, but the amenities are dated and tired. The doors open to the outside (something I really can't stand) and it can get loud as people tramp back and forth across the outer corridors leading to the rooms. You can also very clearly hear people outside talking - bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper. We were also treated to the sweet sounds of our neighbor coughing and hacking all night long. Poor guy - we nearly went out and offered to get him some Robitussin at 3:00 in the morning when we couldn't stand it any longer. There is NO insulation between the rooms. We were on the second level, so I can't speak for the noise one might hear on a lower level room.

They do offer a free breakfast to Front Sight participants, and the buffet is actually very nice. Eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, omelets made-to-order... The dinners there are super cheap and quite filling - the food is actually pretty good. However, you will have to walk through a VERY smoky casino to get to the restaurant...and the restaurant also reeks of old smoke. We are neither smokers nor gamblers, so we spent NO time in the casino; however, despite this, we stunk of smoke each day after just walking to/from the restaurant. It's that bad.
The wait staff was hit-or-miss. We had a fabulous waitress our first night, but an awful waiter the next morning (he slammed our drinks down and sloshed water everywhere, refused to come back and give us refills and sighed heavily when my husband asked for our bill - and we tip well, too! Not sure what that was about.).

This is definitely not a luxury property by any stretch of the imagination. If you're willing to brave the casino, though, you can get a nice hot breakfast and if you sleep with a pillow over your head, you'll do fine in the rooms. It's good for Front Sight participants, as we were at the range all day long and just needed a place to crash at night. Otherwise, if you're looking for a fun place to stay and hang out...look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Given the fact that there's no insulation between the rooms, you might do better to choose a roo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank infamousmare
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed for one night in January 2013. The carpet was absolutely filthy. It turned your socks dark brown from walking on the carpet. Overall this is a very dated motel style property. We have stayed a number of times at the Best Western across the street. It is well worth the $10-20 extra per night. I thought that the most telling thing about the Saddle West was that the next morning when I went to check out 4 days early, the clerk didn't even ask me why. She knew why......

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank dmishesq
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I paid for my room and went to check it out before bringing my bags in. Thank god I did, I pulled the bed back and there was black hair and dirty sheets. YUCK! So I decided to check the room further....cockroaches everywhere. The smell was horrible. It smelled like mold and urine. I went back to the front desk and asked for a refund because I would not be staying there. The receptionist asked why...so I told her. She told me that the bugs were just desert bugs and that the maid just made up that room 2 days ago. She then stated that she couldn't Believe that the bugs got in the room already. What?!? they know they have a roach problem! The receptionist then proceeded to inform me that they will not refund the charge to my credit card because I had been there for an hour. I was at the hotel for 15 minutes at this point. Do not stay here! Bugs and the potential to get sick from the mold in the air. Go down the street to the nugget for the same price. At the nugget you get coffee the cute little shampoos and a mini bar. The nugget treated us very well. The food at the nugget is awesome and cheap!

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank burtamber
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

I am a front sight member . Been one for many years . Come down 4-6 times per year and always stay at Best Western Pahrump Station . This time I could not get in so had to go across the street to Saddle West.

Let me start by saying that I stayed her back on 2000 when FS has 12 people total in a 4 day handgun class....yes 12 .... Then it was a old little motel in the desert ....ok for a single guy ....

This time :

1. The smoke is over welling . I usually don't mind it too much as a post smoker but this was bad on the casino and common area .

2. The room was old , old worn out carpet , dirty , poor worn out beds . Wanted to move , no rooms open . The front desk seemed not to care .

3. The food . I noticed warm sour cream . I advised them my concerns . They just starred at me .

4. There are a fair amount of people over the years that have felt that they had gotten sick on the food at saddle west ...talk is always cheap . But after seeing that I may now believe them .

The price is cheap . If you and your shooting buddy looking for a cheap room .....maybe . Wife ? Family ? Kids ? NO WAY .

Some advice for those of you who are looking for a place to stay for Front Sight . The best Western or pahrump nugget are much better . I have never stayed at the nugget .

If you are looking for food to take out there work you for class ( front sight ) is about 30 minutes from Pahrump 60-90 minutes from Vegas. Go to subway in the Walmart in Pahrump . Bring a cooler . Better yet they have hot water out there for take a freeze dried meal. Watch out for the box lunch .

I will pass on food or rooms at this hotel

Hope this helps

• Stayed: December 2012
7  Thank Ammo68
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We have stayed here twice, and it seems like a decent place. It is aging a little, but the rooms we've had have been clean and comfortable. The staff seems friendly. We stayed in the deluxe suite this last time (family of four, so more space and a microwave & fridge are nice to have), which was pretty nice for my simpler tastes. We had some friends who also stayed at the same time, and had trouble with the air conditioner/heater. I think it got resolved, but the staff is a little slow sometimes. I can't really comment on the casino part, since I'm from Northern Nevada and don't usually bother with them (when people ask us, "Where do the locals gamble?" we say, "We don't." Hint, hint...) The layout of the grounds is a little quirky (which is fun), but be sure to get good directions when you check in, or you might get lost at first. :) Overall, I wouldn't have a problem staying here again.

Room Tip: Non-smoking. The Deluxe Suite wasn't bad, and not too expensive
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert T
Reviewed November 10, 2012

An aging 3-star, it's passable and certainly more than adequate as a place to "crash" after a hard (make that exhausting) day's instruction at Front Sight. Reasonable rates, relatively low cost for tasty daily meal packages (we only took the very good breakfast buffet, which was about $6.)

Non-smoking rooms, not luxurious but large and comfortable with king bed, desk, chair, sofa, makeup table & settee. Relatively dim lighting. Not new, not (yet) seedy. I wouldn't choose to roll around on the floor, whose carpet was in need of a thorough commercial cleaning. If you want first-class, this isn't your place. If you want decent conditions and a place to sleep, it's just the ticket.

There are some nice local restaurants, the most notable of which was Ohjah, a Kobe-style Japanese establishment serving exquisite sushi and above-average meats. Most of the town's commercial establishments derive a large portion of their revenue from Front Sight students, and go out of their way to be friendly and accommodating - some offer attractive discounts for Front Sight participants.

The small and unsophisticated Saddle West restaurant is adjacent to the casino and lobby. No fine gourmet dining, but tasty fare. The place is arranged in the old style, wherein it's impossible to go from one point to another without passing through the entire casino which is, thankfully, modest in size. Smokers abound in the casino (no surprise) and the place reeks of smoke in the evening. Because of that, we eschewed dinner meals in the adjacent restaurant.

Staff have a bit of an edge to their personalities, but I suspect that it's just local behavioral custom. All were friendly and helpful, and quickly provided anything needed within reason. This is not a first-class resort, so don't look for highly-polished staff professionalism - they're just good folks doing a good job, and are nice to anyone who deserves it.

For my needs, this served as a place to catch breakfast and a bath and a bit of sleep between bouts of training, for which purpose it served more than amply. In sum, I'd not book this as a family resort destination, but will not hesitate to return to the motel when participating in future Front Sight courses.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Poppatravels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahrump
Pahrump Nugget Hotel and Gambling Hall
#1 of 1 in Mount Charleston
Shoshone Inn
Shoshone Inn
#1 of 1 in Shoshone

Been to Saddle West Hotel, Casino and RV Resort? Share your experiences!