“Mt Charleston Trail Rides recommended”

Mount Charleston Riding Stable
Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Mt Charleston Trail Rides recommended”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We enjoyed our ride even though we haven’t been on horses in 35 years.
Caution: You will be outdoors. You will be on the mountain-side. You may see wildlife. You will be in the desert where the weather is changeable. You may smell horses. You will smell like a horse at the end.
Don't complain if it was too: dusty, wet, quiet, loud, hot, cold, light, dark, etc.
You will need: clothes, shoes, hat, coat, water, sunblock, brain, etc.
Please pay attention as you will be the driver of a ½ ton animal that, unlike your car, does have a brain.
Don’t forget to leave a tip. ESPECIALLY if you used a Groupon!

Visited May 2012
3 Thank wannagotoAlaska

Aurora, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful location, but horrible experience....”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I went purchased a groupon for this and went with 4 friends. The location upon arriving was absolutely beautiful and we were pretty excited. We go on trail rides often on vacations an this looked like a great time. However....

When we got there, no staff greeted us. After we said hello, they didn't tell us what to do, where to go, anything. We had to pry all the answers out of the staff for every little thing. They were pretty unwelcoming from the get go.

When we started riding up the cliffs, an employee was in the front and another in the back, the one in the back was directly behind me. His horse was literally bucking like the broncos you see on TV and out of control while we were right next to the edge of the mountains most of the trip and his horse was literally charging at my horse THE ENTIRE RIDE. Luckily I am an experienced rider so I was able to stay under control, but this could have been VERY dangerous and life-threatening for any new or unexperienced rider. He was supposed to be there for safety purposes but instead was endangering the group. It took 60 minutes for him to finally go off on another trail away from me, after putting me in some very dangerous and unnecessary situations. I could not enjoy any of the views because I was trying to control the situation the entire time.

Also, when I told someone, very calmly, about what happened after we got back, they just pretty much said "oh my". Really, nothing else.

Ultimately, while it is a beautiful view, find somewhere else or just drive through the mountains. I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone, especially families with children! Absolutely awful employees.

Visited May 2012
9 Thank Nickel A
San Diego
162 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“well worth the money”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

we went on the 90 minute ride. it was relaxing and well worth the money we paid!!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank SanDiego333
Las Vegas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Nice for a change of pace!”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

A nice couple hours to get away and change of pace. Good staff and attentative. I recommend the longer ride. Overall a pleasant nice time. Enjoy!

Visited November 2011
Las Vegas, NV
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Avoid”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Our ride was supposed to start at 3:00 but was delayed due to an accident on the previous ride. A guide was thrown and so was a child due to a dog charging the horses. Instead of cancelling our ride, they hurried the horses (didn't even let them drink water) and were yelling at all of us to hurry up, we had to meet the schedule. They were in such a rush they didn't even adjust stirrups or give directions aside from "Read the poster, that'll tell you how to steer the horse," even though no one had a lot of experience. They didn't offer any helmets, like other, more reputable stables around town do. A side note was there was no steps to mount on, making it very difficult for untrained people to get on. The horses were understandably spooked and tired, making them either hard to handle or else they stumbled along, depending on their temperament. The guides were harried and extremely short-tempered and rude. The ride was uncomfortable and unpleasant, not to mention only about 45 mins instead of the 90. However, it was so bad no one said anything--we all dismounted and went straight to our cars. I don't think the animals were treated very well at all. Like I said, they weren't even allowed to drink between rides and the first horse back (who kept running ahead, no guide interference) was tied up and the man riding him gave him a bit of hay. The guide then told him not to do that because he's just rewarding bad behavior and he'll have to work the horse extra hard to show him his place again. This was the worst riding experience I've ever had. I completely understand them being upset about the accident on the previous ride, but they could've cancelled or rescheduled ours. Instead they chose to take out their frustrations on this group of customers and worse, on their horses.

Note: Mount Charleston Trail Rides and Mount Charleston Riding Stable are one and the same. Different name, same phyical address, same terrible service.

Visited October 2011