“Scary”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Minden
Santa Monica, California
“Scary”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

You should know the details of my stay so perhaps you will be able to make some improvements that are really necessary. . The room I stayed in (and others I saw) was barely passable.

Good news:
Bathroom and towels were clean and white
sheets on bed looked clean

Bad news: because of the bed bug scare, i always pull the bed away from the wall to inspect the area of the mattress at the headboard and around the mattress. I didn't find anything that looked like bedbugs (thank God) BUT it was totally filthy and there were spiders, ants,other varmints under there...and inch of dust piled around base of bed. The carpet was torn, worn and totally filthy all over the room, not just near the beds.

Except for the bathroom the rest of the room was really dirty, stains on bedspread, cobwebs in the corners of the ceiling with dead bugs stuck in them (so they were there a while) and I frankly did not feel comfortable sleeping the night on those beds and cuddled up in the middle of one of them surrounded by the sheets. Had I not arrived in that night late I would have left and reported you to the health authorities.

I did mention to the housekeeper the next morning what i found (filthy the rug... dust and small bugs around the box spring of one of the mattresses) and they did come in an thoroughly clean the carpet. I ended up staying but not sure I will again because the place was so dirty. The rest of the property looks pretty good so I was shocked at how bad the condition of the room was. I do not expect 5 star at your price point but I do expect clean and not to see dirt and leaves, torn rugs and old stained bedspreads which was all a bit creepy for a well known casino property.

Get a carpet guy in there and change them out. Even if they are cheap new ones at least they are clean. And you can replace them more often which is better than expensive carpet that is torn and filthy dirty. Take the bedspreads off the beds and use 2 sheets with a blanket in the middle. Tell the housekeeping staff to look above eye level for stuff when they clean .....along the ceiling lamp shades etc.

It wouldn't cost that much and would make a huge difference.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank cmandell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Polish first
Millbrae, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

Every year my husband and I go to Minden and stay at the Carson Valley Inn. We had a rude awakening this year. The new owners, (whoever they are), do not accept Triple A or AARP discounts. There is no longer a 2 for 1 prime rib dinner night and they do not issue any kind of coupons..free slot play, free drink, etc.
This may sound like cheap nit-picking but, as a couple on a fixed income, we appreciated the effort.
Also, the room we had, (307) smelled like dirty feet. Thank goodness we could open the windows.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sparks, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

Made reservations at hotel and got a price for the hotel and was put in a lesser room at the Motor Lodge, which was 1 block away. If we wanted to use the pool or eat at the restaurant , we had to drive 1 block or call for the hotel shuttle. Was told that we could stay in the hotel if we wanted to pay more $$ The restaurant staff and parking staff at the hotel were fantastic but the reservation dept was not.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EPL64
idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

We were visiting family nearby and used the motor lodge as a base location for about a week. The rooms are clean and they have the best soap of any place we have ever stayed. We ate breakfast daily at the resteraunt (Katies's maybe?) and, although it was okay, it wasn't anything special. The service was very good all around and everyone was very friendly. Minden is much nicer than Reno. No sirens during the night, no walking through a giant casino to get to your room, and very little traffic. The only negative to our stay was our last night. The people occupying the room next to us were very, very loud. Television blaring, doors slamming, shouting matches concering the merits of line cooks. I did call the front desk to complain and withing ten minutes they were quiet. And if that was you next door, sorry, we didn't mean to slam the door when we were leaving very, very early the next morning. We also don't have a clue how that "Service Room Immediately" signed ended up on your door.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hometown1234
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

I hope someone in Management gets this!

Friday, June 18, 2010 @ 4:30 pm I was visiting with my brother-in-law relaxing at your bar having a good time. My brother-in-law bought the first round - I bought him his second drink a bartender (bald headed) took my $20 bill and left the change on the bar with the receipt - I then finished my first drink and ask the same bartender for another drink he complied took the money from where HE left my change from the $20 and left the change and the second receipt. I glanced over, while I was talking to my Brother-In-Law, and noticed the two receipt and my change. I must say that we had left a tip behind the machines on the bar. Anticipating having another drink I seen no reason to move my change. While I was facing my Brother-In-Law, about half way into my second drink, an Asian bartender walked over to MY change and took it off the bar. My Brother-In-Law noticed and stopped the Asian bartender from taking my money and explained to him that he had already taken our tips that we had placed behind the machines. He replaced MY money and the receipts and told me that if I didn't want him to take MY money I shouldn't leave it there - LIKE I MADE A MISTAKE. I explained that I did not leave it there my bartender left it there along with the receipts and he had no right taking claim to MY money. My Brother-In-Law then got up and said let's get out of here which terminated what we thought was going to be a pleasant afternoon. When I made my point of view known to the Asian bartender a third bartender stepped in to defend the Asian bartender leaving me amazed because he should have kept his mouth shut. Why did the Asian bartender take my change when he wasn't the bartender that served me? The bartender that serviced me was still working at my end of the bar. I want the bartender that served me to take his tip - I don't care how they split it up later - it is his tip- not some unrelated bartender. Was this some scam? How many people has he ripped off this way? Was he trying to get away with something while I wasn't looking? He should have asked and I wouldn't have had a problem with explaining that it was my change. I hope you have surveillance cameras and can follow my explanation of the situation. It wasn't the mistake the bothered me it was how the Asian and the third bartender reacted to the mistake. I have nothing good to say about Carson Valley Inn to anyone. I hope you see where I am coming from they ruined a good afternoon for us. And I did not deserve any of the negative treatment. I would have handled that situation in a different way. Not by making me feel like I cause the situation. Where is it that the Customer gets treated like poop and then expected to spend there money. You will not see a dime of mine.

Acknowledge Receipt or I will find another means to make my point,

Fred Scott

Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank CaliforniaNavada
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

CVI is under new ownership and they have made some nice improvements in the casino. New layout, carpet and games, make the casino look much better than the last time we visited. However, the hotel rooms remain the same and really need some updating as does the ventilation. The bedspreads in our room had some holes in them and the carpet was stained. Hopefully the owners will give them some attention in the near future because the property is the center of beautiful downtown Minden and it would be a shame to let the rooms continue to age and deteriorate. We were there on a Friday night and the casino was so busy and crowded, it was difficult to find a place to play! The service was friendly and fast, from the hotel desk to the coffee shop. Our dinner in the coffee shop was very mediocre, but again the service was excellent. They have a new steakhouse that looked much better, so you may want to try that instead.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank smalltowngalReno
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2005

Spent the first weekend of November at the Carson Valley Inn, and thoroughly enjoyed the cozy ambience and friendliness of the staff. The Inn presented the Rhymers Rodeer, a weekend of Cowboy Poetry and music - entertainers were excellent, food was very good, and service was polite and friendly. Rooms were clean, and while I parked my own vehicle, I wanted to, so not a problem. Definitely a relaxing experience... only thing that could have been better would be coffee pots in the rooms. No one likes to go in search of coffee in their pajamas. I really enjoyed my stay at the Carson Valley Inn.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minden
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Minden
BEST WESTERN Topaz Lake Inn
BEST WESTERN Topaz Lake Inn
#1 of 6 in Gardnerville
Super 8 Gardnerville Topaz Lake

Been to Carson Valley Inn? Share your experiences!