“Nice motel and good value”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Minden
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Good motel: quiet, clean, comfortable and modern.

If I think really hard, the only small negative is that I wish they supplied tea bags (not Chinese) at breakfast and in the rooms (plus those little milk cartons). The previous occupant of the empty room next door had left the alarm buzzer set for 6am but fortunately I was already awake by then and I suppose it could happen anywhere.

One other hint is to be sure that you don't book Minden Louisiana by mistake, as I did. (I have a reservation, no you don't, let me show you the confirmation, oops!)

The Basque restaurant (The Country Club) 4 miles down the road on Highway 395 is very good and is particularly recommended if you haven't eaten for a week and like lamb kebabs.

I think many people would prefer staying in Minden instead of the Tahoe area which like a major city at the south end of the lake. If all you want to do is see the lake then it is less than half and hour away, though about two hours to drive all round it.

Finally take a glider ride at Soar Minden at the airport about 1 mile north.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Jmcc150

Reviewed August 15, 2009

This place is just bad. I was forced to stay here because I travel with my dog. Never again. I'd rather camp outside in the rain. This place is old and beat, and the service is the worst.

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank DogDoggie
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We spent that last three nights at the Best Western Minden. We choose this hotel because we had a dog with us, otherwise it was not my first choice and next time not even in my top 100 choices. Our experience was ... odd.

The night we arrived the area was infested with mosquitos. When I checked in there was no mention of the problem and it was a shock to have to go mosquito hunting in the evenings in order to prevent from being eaten alive. Later when I spoke with the front desk about this they said it was a problem in the county. And though I found that there are mosquitos in the area, my cousins don't have as big a problem a few miles away.

In addition to this, my son got sick during the night and I asked housekeeping the next day to make sure they gave the bathroom an extra cleaning and I was shocked when I came back for the day and found the bathroom being the only thing cleaned. Our beds weren't made and it didn't look like they did anything else.

The next day we had a chocolate milk accident in the bed and I again asked housekeeping to be sure to not only make our beds but to change our sheets. When I came back for the day I found they did make the bed and change the bed sheets but did not change the pillow cases (there was a stain on one still), they were just moved around between the two beds.

Oh! Forgot to mention that two days before we arrived they put "a shock of chemicals" in their pool and until the day before we left, it was not open - in almost 90 degree weather. My poor boys were very upset about the letdown of the only highlight of staying in a hotel.

Finally, my cousins who live in the area told me the "smell" outside and occasionally making it inside was because the hotel is next to some kind of waste reclaimation plant. Perhaps this is the real reason for their mosquito problem?

So there is my experience. Do with it what you may - but personally I will travel a bit further for a dog friendly hotel, if I decide to bring one with me again. If not, I am going to stay over at the Carson Valley Inn. I have heard great things about them and from the street they look like a nice place.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank gillianerinn
Reviewed October 25, 2008

Needed to cancel my reservation by 4pm. Called Best Western Minden at 3:50. They tell me they can't cancel the reservation, that I have to call the corporate number.

I call the corporate number, and by the time they pull up my reservation it's 4:01, and they say they need approval from Minden to do the cancellation. Minden denies the cancellation because it's 1...minute...late.

I hear back from corporate the next day: Minden still refuses to honor my cancellation, so corporate is issuing me a refund since Minden is charging me for the full cost of the room.

I was relieved that the corporate office would go so far to keep up good customer service despite the terrible local service from Minden. Nevertheless, I won't be giving that Best Western location my money again.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed October 12, 2008

We had our house fumigated and wanted to get away from small little Palo Alto, CA so my dad drove to minden. They let pets in gereat! We got adjoining rooms (me and my sisters and one for my parents) They were great and extremely clean. However, the rooms were warm because the A/C was not on in neither rooms. The shower was soothing. It was also great because there was a park across the street for my dog to run around at. There are 2 vending machines in the hallways and laundry services. This Best Western had a variety of cable channels not just a couple basic ones. The Fan on the A/C works well! Early in the morning, I was too cold. I started to pace around my room and our dog came in and jumped in my bed. I banged into the microfridge and microwave oven combo (I forgot to mention). The continental breakfast was good, but a little basic. (but hey its free!) We did not go into the pool area but it looked clean!

I will definitely want to stay here again
good job Best Western Minden!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 8, 2008

Look Elsewhere! Do not subject yourself or your family to this establishment. Besides a dirty room, plugged toilet in room when we arrived, and poorly kept breakfast (I have had much better at other best westerns) – The topper was being electrocuted by a shorted light cord (Thought the sparks and flames in the room was the only exciting thing about this place), which blew the circuit in the room. There was no manager on duty so an Individual reported to be the owner came out and proceeded to insult myself and my family and berate me for getting him out of bed. We have pictures of the frayed cord with the burn marks. His argument is how dare we unplug the light to plug in our kids DVD player to charge. No apology, No are you alright, No concern – He Insisted on fixing the cord at night in room while my kids were sleeping (My guess to get rid of the shorted cord). What an embarrassment to the Best Western Chain – Fortunately there is a brand new Holiday Inn Express being built about ¼ mile away that will be ready in Fall of 2008, Carson City is only about 12 Miles away – Better & Cheaper rooms and more options as well – And Carson Valley Inn is always a local favorite. I know we will never stay here again, our Extended family which lives in the area will not, and I hope that you will not either. This location needs to learn what customer service involves, and more importantly safety of their guests. Hopefully fewer guests will cause them to reevaluate their priorities.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank dbakeraz
Reviewed July 22, 2008

After reading the mostly bad reviews for this place, we almost stayed elsewhere, but this turned out to be clean, with a very comfortable bed. Free wi-fi, average breakfast, good air conditioner. The one woman we did encounter checking in, etc. seemed very nice. This is within walking distance to several different restaurants, the movies, Starbucks, etc. Also, there's a great little park right across the street with a nice playground and a huge expanse of very thick grass. Our dog was welcome at this hotel, too.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minden
Carson Valley Inn
Best Western Topaz Lake Inn
#1 of 6 in Gardnerville
1862 David Walley's Hot Springs Resort and Spa
Montbleu Resort Casino & Spa

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!