“Horrible!!!!!!!!!!and no free breakfast!!”

Virgin River Hotel & Casino
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Mesquite
San Diego
“Horrible!!!!!!!!!!and no free breakfast!!”
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Ohmigod! We stayed on a Saturday night and as soon as we walked in the room there was this horrendous odor. I called the desk and they said they were "filled up" and couldn't give us another room. We had made reservations and were told that we would be charged if we canceled without 24 hours notice, so I thought we were stuck. In retrospect I should have demanded another room or to just cancel the reservation. I slept with a washcloth over my nose. The smell was indescribable - but sickening is close. The shower curtain was stained, the room was dingy and I didn't want to even step barefoot on the floor. It was just the most horrible experience. No amenities of any kind. No coffeepot, no refrigerator, no microwave, not even the little shampoos. Just two little bars of soap. The next day I was sick to my stomach all day from the smell. We paid $99.95 because it was a Saturday - but this room wouldn't be worth it if it was free. I think the place should be condemned by the Board of Health!!!!!!!
P.S. They advertise a free breakfast - but when we asked about it they said, "Oh no, that was discontinued a long time ago." Well, why do they still advertise that you get it with your room? The thing is, it doesn't even matter because after spending the night in that room, you won't be able to eat breakfast anyway. The room number was 3108 - so be sure not to take that room under any circumstances.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank corycats

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed April 15, 2009

I was sorry to see so many bad reviews and chose this place before I saw them. I stayed one night at $35, plus $10 for two dogs. The only other dog-friendly place in town was almost three times as much, although probably a lot nicer. My dog room did not smell like urine. The staff was very dog friendly. The rooms were not updated but were clean and large. The people at the front desk both on check-in and check-out were very friendly, as were staff around the grounds, and the place was very quiet for me. I stayed on a Monday night, maybe that is why. All in all, it was a positive experience and I am a fairly picky person. They even have a Starbucks.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank AM3
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Trip Advisor said, "Write a review" so we stay at this place twice each year as we head southbound toward Las Vegas. After 2 days in a vehicle it gives us a chance to freshen up before the lights of Vegas. Everytime we're here we're given up to (at least )4 nights at no charge. We have been through storms and lost power, been there when the road has been closed, and on sunny days too. There is nothing great in the restaurants or the casino but we do like the chance to bowl a few games of 10 pin. It seems the little gaming we do also gets us small gifts. The staff have always been co-opertive and friendly. The casino staff still rate table games at $2 and $3 dollars. We are never in a hurray so I guess this place appeals to us.

When we are rested we drive on to Las Vegas.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank honydo
US
Reviewed March 17, 2009

We had a coupon to stay at the Virgin for free on Thursday night...can't beat this deal. I highly recommend that you book the room ahead of time and use coupons if possible, otherwise, you may end up paying $55/night like we did one time because our plans changed. The rooms are decently sized for 4 of us. The bathtub/shower and toilet are a bit old but expected from this old hotel. The beds are old and hard. The rooms are nothing to rave about. The buffet is decent for its price but nothing special. I remember finding hair on the fruit and couldn't eat anymore, but we always seem to go back to the buffet. Never been to the non-buffet restaurant, so I can't comment but they have $4.99 prime rib dinner when we were there. We love the casino because it has a cheap crap table. Also, the pit bosses remember us each time we visit, which is awesome, but it probably means that we go there too much.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank slggy
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Meeting up with friends in Mesquite and had to pay $100 for a saturday night and $24 for the second, Sunday. even at $24 this place was over priced. This place is beyond a remodel, more like a teardown. The beds are nice and firm, but the place is old, dingy, noisy and well warn. But, you do have Bowling and the Eurica is nextdoor for food and entertainment. Don't even get me started on the thing they call a pool...

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank TheCaDean
UK
Reviewed December 15, 2008

I enjoyed my nights stay at the Virgin river I was in block 4 well away from the Freeway the room was fine and well cleaned ,but a bit tired. The check in was fine but the high point was the Buffet which was great value for dinner as was the coffee shop for my early breakfast.

Stayed November 2008
2 Thank CanardUk
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed November 17, 2008

We were told that a room would be $24.99 and there would be a $20.00 slot machine rebate. Upon arrival we were told we did ot qualify as the person we talked to did not note it on our reservation. She was very curt and treated us as if we were stupid. We called the supervisor on the house phone and after three people we were told too bad. We said we would not stay there again and they replied OK.
We stayed there but spent our gambling money somewhere else.
We have had problems with reservations before and even though we had a confirmation number it was not found and they raised the rate.
Ths is not a good way to do business.

• Liked — Cheap
  • Disliked — Our treatment from personell was insuffrable.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bearbill