“You get what you pay for...nothing fancy here”

Virgin River Hotel & Casino
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Mesquite
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed here one night to meet up with friends from out of state. We got a non smoking room with 2 full beds and paid $30. The up side of this deal is that we also got $20 to be used on a players card in the casino so figure that we only paid $10 for the night stay. Not bad. The room was pretty basic with the 2 beds, small sink area outside of the shower/toilet area. Room was clean and had air/heat available for use. Bed linens consisted of basically a few sheets. I felt that it would have been nice to have a blanket available for use should you need it. Casino is smoky but all the slots and tables are there for your enjoyment. We dined at the buffet which was ok...nothing great but decent for $11/person. Staff very friendly and courteous. Basically folks, you get what you pay for here, nothing fancy.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stopped for the low advertised room rates. Paid $34 for the night. The casino was active and running. The buffet was great.
The room appeared fine - clean and presentable. The mattresses on the beds had big compression holes in them which made comfort difficult. My wife had to sleep in the other bed as the holes were so large. During the night I went to the bathroom to meet the local tenants - cockroaches. The toilet would not flush clean.
Never agaim.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank James C
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I've stayed here before and thought it was okay for the price but never again. The toilet didn't work, the sheets on the bed didn't fit, the old TV had a remote with only channel and volume controls so you have to scroll through all of the channels to find the one you want. The phone doesn't have a directory on it and you have to call the reservation number to get any help. They've taken the refrigerators out of the rooms. The restaurant food is good and cheap but if you plan to spend any time in your room, somewhere else might be a better choice.

Room Tip: There are elevators so if you are on the 3rd floor, you won't have upstairs neighbors.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Not wanting to spend the night in Las Vegas, but heading south through Nevada, we stopped here and were pleasantly surprised. We enjoyed a simple but clean room for $30, along with a pool and hot tub. The casino also has bingo, a buffet, a bowling alley, and a Starbucks. Thought not fancy, for $30/night this is a great deal, comfortable accommodation, and good stopping point between St. George (UT) and Las Vegas.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hmm6789
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Older room but very large and spacious. Hotel is external to the casino and is easily reached by a short drive to the 7 outbuildings in the parking lot. Good TV programming and comfortable.
Casino is good and restaurants are just fine. Great for a night. $23 for 2 during the week.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed there overnight going to California and then coming back. Going down my room was comped by a friend who lives near Mesquite and I paid $86 for the one coming back. Free is great ($27 is great) I thought $86 was high especially when they advertise $56 online. However there was a car show in town and just about everything was booked, so we were lucky to get it.

I thought the room was nice, although minimally decorated and furnished, we were tired and I was glad to get there. It was a good size, the beds were large enough, comfortable and clean, the first room we had was on the second floor and there was an elevator which made it better to haul luggage. The only thing it lacked was a coffee maker, but I am sure they expect you to spend all your time in the casino. I brought my own 1 cup packets and used hot tap water.

We were slow getting there on our return trip and they called me to confirm our reservation stating my credit/debit card had been declined (I expected to pay cash and had told my bank I was only going to CA so they blocked anything other than that) but they took my word for it and saved our room reservations even without taking another credit card I offered. I was thrilled they made that extra effort.

It is what it is, a nice place to stay overnight or a good gamblers weekend. We don't gamble but there is an arcade for kids and we went to the on-sight restaurant which was good and well priced however they do allow smoking there (and the casino of course) so expect that when travelling with kids. We walked through the casino the first time then went in through outside doors nearer the restaurant the second time. I don't believe they had room service. Because of the car show the restaurant had an hour wait the morning we were leaving so we went across the street to McDonald's.
All in all I would stay there again...nothing fancy, but meets the need.

Room Tip: Bring a 'hot pot' to boil water for coffee, expect to go out to eat as there is no fridge or...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sanah54
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Okay--yes it is dated. Yes, the carpets are old. Yes, the TV was an old tube-style box. Yes, the lamp shades were dusty. Yes, the walls are thin and it is easy to hear what is going on in the adjacent rooms. There is nothing fancy about this place. Having said that, we just needed a decent place to get a night's rest after a long drive--and it worked for that. The beds were not great, but they were clean and decent. Remember that this is a casino hotel and you are going to have lots of people staying up late at night--many of them there to party. If you are there to sleep, I suggest requesting a room in a building away from the casino and main lobby area. Even then, there is no guarantee who is staying in the room next to you. Anyone who travels knows you may have a bad experience at almost any hotel. At a property like this, the odds increase--so it's a roll of the dice (so to speak). We did have some loud guests around 2:00 am. Fortunately, it lasted only a few minutes. If we had spent $100, it would have been disappointing. For $30, we were pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, request a room in a building away from the casino.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family