“Best value for the money”

Virgin River Hotel & Casino
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Mesquite
Enterprise, NV.
“Best value for the money”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Although Mesquite is only about an hour away from our house in Enterprise NV., we decided to stay in Mesquite to be closer to Zion NP for our mini vacation. I had already made the reservations at Virgin River Casino when my wife noticed that there had been some bad reviews on trip advisor. I was impressed that Randy Black, the owner, took the time to respond to all of the reviews, good or bad.
We arrived around 6 PM and based on advise from Randy to another customer, asked for a room close to the casino. The clerk was polite and gave us a room in building # 1 next to the casino and the pool. The first thing we did was check for "varmits" as previosly described. The room was exceptionally clean and well maintained. The A/C unit had been turned up and the room was cool. (a nice feature when it's 105 outside) After a quick dip in the pool we went to the casino to eat. We found the buffet to be reasonable and the food was excellent. They feature a different specialty each night and also have multiple stations like the Las Vegas casinos.
The next morning we ate in the resturant and I had the ham steak special for $4.99. The ham steak was so big that it hung over the plate. I took most of it with me to Zion NP. That night when we returned, both my wife and I had the prime rib special. It was excellent!. The resturant was so good that even the locals eat there.
Both nights we went to the show room where they had a great local country western band. We enjoyed the music and even danced. The video machines in the casino were very liberal with the payouts.
Each morning we noticed the ground crews maintaining the roads and grounds.
Overall, we were very satisfied with our stay. The room was dated but clean. The TV was small but who goes to a casino hotel to watch TV?
If you want the glitz and glamor of a large hotel I would suggest the Wynn or Encore in Las Vegas for $219 a night mid-week, but if you are satisfied with a clean economical hotel with good food and entertainment, close to Las Vegas (less than hour North on I-15) I would recommend the Virgin River Casino!
Thanks, Randy and Micheal for a job well done.
Joe Dehorty
Enterprise NV.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the casino and pool
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
RandyBlackSrCEO, Owner at Virgin River Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Thank you for your detailed review of the Virgin RIver. Good food, nice pool, entertainment and a clean economical room....that's the Virgin River! Hope to see you very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 13, 2011

There were bugs and ants in my room. Also, the light above the table did not work, but maybe that was a good thing; sometimes what we don't see gets us through. I mentioned the bugs and the light when checking out, but no apoligies or compensation was offered. I also called the hotel a couple of days later and asked for the General Manager. I was transferred to a voicemail with no identifying name. Needless to say, my call was never returned.

Yesterday, I placed a second call to the hotel, and this time, I was given the name of the hotel manager and I was transferred to her voicemail. I left a message for the manager to return my call, and hopefully, I can explain my disappointment to her. I would expect to be hearing from her first of the week, since it was late Friday afternoon when I left the message. I realize this is only a 2 star rated property, but I wasn't expecting bugs and biteing ants.

I would not return to Virgin River.

Room Tip: Outdated, and bugs in the room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
RandyBlackSrCEO, Owner at Virgin River Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Thank you for your response. Please accept my apologies for your encounter with the desert creatures. It is unfortunate that even the best pest control company is unable to eliminate all of them during the deserts perfect weather! I understand that our hotel manger returned your call first thing Monday morning when she received your voice mail. If during your next visit you find anything wrong with your room, please feel free to call the front desk immediately and they will resolve the problem while you are here. Whether it is change a light bulb or find you another room we are here to accommodate you our guest.
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed August 12, 2011

On A Road Trip Back To Colorado from Vegas and thought why not one more night in Mesquite before hitting the long highway. Eureka was sold out so we crossed the street to Virgin. To my surprise they had rooms availaible at only 59.99 a night. I asked front desk are they funky or what and she handed me a piece of paper that was wrinkled and stained with a picture! the room was basic at best which was not a suprise, But when we got to our room after donating $250+ on the not so winning machines and game tables a nice nights rest was needed indeed. It started well until the bugaboos started taking over. My Mother called from the room next door to say she just murdered a few ants and refused to unpack and would be cautiously monitoring her room wide awake for the rest of the night. I laughed thinking as to why I was itching and saw my new best friend with wings climbing up my shoulder. Needless to say Mesquite is a scary hills have eyes atmosphere anyway but the Virgin River definately shows as more of a motor in weekly type place where you would expect to meet your parole officer after prison! Oh yeah the decoration of clothes hanging on the railing was a nice touch along with the long hot walk through the parking lot that was filled with casino employees that walked to and from looking miserable. wouldn do it again St George will be my choice next time. No drinks or gambling there but at least my mom woulda got some sleep! Oh and thanks CEO but I wont need your comment. I cant believe you called a guest a druggie induced person for stating the truth.

2 Thank Bryan R
Thank you for your response, I received your mothers as well. I am sorry about the flying ants. The desert on our muggy nights is perfect for them; our pest control efforts usually work. I believe that the hills around Mesquite are part of our charm and most of our guests like that they can park in front of their rooms. I will always defend my employees especially from vicious non founded allegations. I hope that you will try us again.
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Initially, we read the reviews and were impressed the CEO responded to all of the comments on tripadvisor.com. Our stay more than met our expectations. The food was good, staff very friendly , and the room was clean. We loved the pool. For the price, it was unbeatable. Being Canadian, we love a good deal by nature and for a 24.99 room and facilities including a great pool restaraunt and casino, this price would be impossible to beat in our neck of the woods. something similar would be in the 150 range. We were more than impressed.The fact the ceo takes the time to read the reviews shows that he truly cares about the customers experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the great review and compliments. I hope that you will visit us again very soon.
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This is a very basic hotel.....like an older version of a Motel 6. The room we stayed in was recently remodeled (i.e. painted) and had a laminate floor for pets, but the TV was small, the bed coverings were old, and the beds were very basic. We did not hear any noise from other rooms and the hotel was pretty busy while we were there. Overall, it was perfect for our overnight stay on the way home to So. Cal. It was clean (no mildew, mold or bugs as one reviewer implied), but it is NOT a resort....so, if you are expecting a Vegas style resort hotel with all of the amenities, you WILL be disappointed. There were several pools and hot tubs, a bowling alley, arcade casino and even a Starbuck's inside the casino. We used them all and had lots of fun! The bowling was a bargain and was one of the nicer bowling alleys we've frequented! We ate at the buffet for dinner and it was fine. Nothing special, but everything was tasty. The salad/fruit bar was great! And, every employee we had contact with was polite, helpful and very nice. Check in was fast and pleasant.

All in all, for the price and considering we were traveling with our dog, this was a good deal - our kids had fun, our dog was comfortable and we had a good night's sleep and a nice warm shower in the morning.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
RandyBlackSrCEO, Owner at Virgin River Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Sounds like it was just what the family needed. Good deal, fun and comfortable...that's the Virgin River Hotel. Come back soon!!
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We booked our room through Expedia after looking online at the resort. Quotes on website said $59.99. Well we went through Expedia and with a pet came to $77.00. When checking in, the lady in front of me was quoted $39.99 for the SAME ROOM. I asked the hotel clerk to adjust my rate and she wouldn't! Told me to call Expedia and do all the work. Well long of the short, Expedia goes by their posted website prices. We got screwed. If they hadn't charged our card already, I would have gone to the resort across the street. The Eureka. Never will we stay there again!!

• Stayed July 2011
RandyBlackSrCEO, Owner at Virgin River Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Thanks for leaving your comments. We will be re-visiting our customer service training with the front desk.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The room was way out dated.. Outside the rooms were roaches everywhere. We even had them in our room. It it had not been so late when we got there and another place to stay we would have been gone in a second. One of the elevators did not work so you had to walk to the other side of the hotel, I am handicapped so it was hard.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for your review. Sorry we didn’t meet you expectations. We’ve alerted our twice-weekly pest control company of the situation. Next time, when making your reservation, please request to be close to the casino.