“Spectacular Views, Tricked Up Golf Course”

Wolf Creek Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: With spectacular views from every hole and lush fairways, this 18-hole golf course plays at 7,018 yards at par 72.
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I know this is number one on most people's list when golfing in Mesquite, but after playing it I say save your money and find another destination besides Mesquite. I played two courses in Mesquite, Wolf Creek and Conestoga, and don't recommend either one. I also played Coyote Springs which is about an hour away. That is a wonderful course and much better than Wolf Creek. Wolf Creek is dramatic. The views are spectacular. I have never, ever been on course that had such elevation changes. Every tee box seemed to be severely elevated, then you drive down to the fairway only to climb back up for the green or next tee box. I would not want to drive those cart paths when they are wet, the combination of huge descents and hairpin turns would make for a white knuckle experience. I would love to know how they poured the concrete to make the cart paths. This is the most junked up golf course I have ever played. I particularly disliked the par 3's and they are a good example of why I dislike the course so much. The first one was straight uphill. You could not see any part of the green, just a tall flagstick. We played the Champions Tees and without wind it is a 200 yard shot just to get to the green. Who wants to play a 200 yard blind shot par three? The second par three was a 217 yard hole with a creek in the front, creek on the left and no room in the right. There was only one shot - either you are on the green or you are dead. For the record, I found the green on both shots but was the only one in my foursome to do so. Their website suggest the shorter Masters Tees for 9 - 19 handicaps. We all fall into that category but chose not to play those tees since it is only 5,800 yards. That was probably a mistake. There are a couple of par fours that have very long carries off the Champions Tees. The Masters Tees would have been a better choice for us. In summary, the course was in great shape, the pace of play is agonizingly slow (it took us 5 hours which I suspect is the norm) it had some beautiful views but the constant up and down detracted from the experience.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Well the raves about Wolf Creek are certainly worthy, the course is a "masterpiece" in design. If there is a nicer course, I have not played it, and I have played many resort style courses. We even came back for more for an extra try this baby. (actually my score was better the first day I think.) Upon stepping on the first teebox, you will gaze out at the brilliant mountain/desert range and almost forget about the plush fairway in the middle. Then you will come back to your senses and realize that you are gonna have to put that little white ball down the middle, and long. (which I fortunately did on this opening par 5!) The staff was great on the first day, they got our cart ready quick, and even had a couple of bottles of water in them, along with a back cooler to put them in. However on the second day of play (we just had to return and give them another $120), we had to go looking for the staff to get some ice and water, and a pencil and scorecard, as all that stuff was missing from cart. The marshall had some nice points of advice and told us to have fun, even though we would not get finished with 18 by dark, (more on that later).

Below is some points of advice that you mjght can use before playing this "beast"!

* Bring a good camera! your cellphone won't hack it out here! Every hole looks like a "Picasso" portrait!!!

* Book your tee time along with a room, together, you will save a bundle. Go onto Mesquite Golf Vacations.com its easy. We stayed at the Virgin River Hotel 3 nights and had 2 days of golf, one at the Palms, and one at Wolf Creek, all for under $390, for one golfer and my wife who drove the cart. (more on the carts later). You can choose your course and tee times.

*As a 2 some if you want to not be paired with anyone, good luck. You will either have to go off FIRST or LAST! We got a 3:20 pm time, in early April, we were told by the marshall that we would not finish 18, but we did, we came in about 7PM with not much time to spare. But, we were a onesome. My suggestion would be to get off NLT 2PM or go off at the very first time available.

*You will probably have some sticker shock in the $195 greens fee, but you can beat that at $120 by requesting a 'twilight time" after 2 PM. I have NEVER paid over $80 to play golf anywhere and I have played some fine courses, of course when you play "THE BEST" ya gotta pony up the bucks!

*Choose a "reasonable" teebox!!!!!! It tells you right on the scoreboard, unless your are a PRO, avoid the "Challenger" teebox!!! Unless you are a 1-8 handicap avoid the "Champions" tee!!! I am an 16 handicapper and I played the whites where I belonged. I really did not find the course "impossible" I successfully played right above my "16", getting my share of pars and one birdie, more pars than bogies. I think the average 13-20 handicapper can automatically add 4-5 strokes per side just from sheer hard to find balls on OB's with some tight fairways and more than one "forced carry" over either water or a canyon!

*If you play with 6 balls in your bag, ya better throw at least 2 dozen extra in there before you tee off!

There is NO WALKING!!! you have to ride, BUT you would not be able to walk this 18 anyway, the average person would have a heart attack before the 11th hole! The problem here is most all of the teeboxes are at least a quarter mile apart it seems, PLUS when you arrive the teebox, you still have to walk up a hill and sometimes even a mini mountain to get to your box! This will be the first course you play where you actually get a good work out while "RIDING" a golf cart!

DO NOT walk or drive into any desert area! Even though there are literally hundreds of fine balls, just a few feet off the fairways. If you are caught, they will boot you straight off the course with a "no return" policy to come back!

*Take u a small cooler full of YOUR water and some cut up apples/nuts/veggies/fruit/ for snacking!

HAVE FUN!!!!!! just don't go into the course thinking u can shoot your handicap. Go into to it to have fun and know you are more than likely going to shoot 95 versus your regular 85 It is long but, there are a lot of par 4's well under 300 yards. I think our longest thole was 515 off the toughest par 5. It's just very deceptive, the sheer amazing background scenery is enough to get your stroke average up, not your playing ability.

*Finally mesquite is NOT blessed with any GREAT plave to have dinner. I recommend the Eureka hotel for dinner, there is also a good mexican place in downtown Mesquite and one hole in the wall Chinese buffet. Outside of that, that's about it. Nightlife is NOT like las vegas either, but hey you are here to GOLF right!!!!!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

WARNING: IT TAKES MORE THAN AN HOUR DRIVING AT 80MPH FROM VEGAS, ALLOW AT LEAST 1HR 45!!! I ALMOST MISSED MY TEE TIME.

The course was everything I had hoped for. I played with 2 random players off the white tees. I wanted to play the blue markers but played the whites to be sociable. The scenery and layout are awesome. The greens a little slow but true.

My round was topped off when urged by a playing partner to go for the 17th green in 2, which I did and drained the eagle putt.

Awesome course. Efficient pro shop staff. Worth the $195US.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just as everyone has stated before, it is an amazing scenic and visually challenging round of golf.

We arrived, plaid our fees (highest we paid during our week in Vegas, $195 each for a mid morning tee time) and hit the cheesy iron practice range. Hit a few balls, putted a bit, then went to watch a few others go off before us.

They asked if we wanted a picture taken on the first tee, we did, then paid $20 for it at the turn, which the picture was mounted a nice plaque and served as a nice souvenier of our round.

We had played the course many times on Tiger Woods 13 on PS3, and actually found that practice helpful in knowing how many clubs to club up or down on many of the holes. The carry distance to certain hazards was not readily known (no GPS on carts is why they got a 4 rating from me) but we made due with our TW game knowledge and we swear it helped.

The most visually differnt hole for me was #3, basically two to three clubs up to get up the hill and onto the green. When you barely see the top of the flagstick obove the horizon from the tee boxes and see nothing of the green, then tee off about three feet form the edge of a cliff, its nerving and exciting at the same time. Then the rest of the holes that require a drive off of a cliff into a valley, the ball stays in the air forever, are a really different experience too.

I was however disappointed in the greens, as there was some sort of treatment mixture of sand and whatever still on them, which slowed them up I am sure, but they seemed in good shape and rolled fairly true, but a lot slower than we had experienced most of the week. The fairways were green, but hard and the grass was a bit sparse, resulting in some tight lies and hard pan feeling shots from the fairway. I seemed to like hitting from the rough more than the fairways, which was thick, but the ball sat up good in most of the time for me. Pace of play was "semi-slow" at 4 hours and 40 minutes as we routinely were held up by a foursome ahead of us, but it gave us time to take pictures and we expected 5 hours anyway!

Overall, the course was a great way to wrap up our trip and was very cool to play in real life after playing it on my PS3! Probably a once in a lifetime experience for me and definitely recommended.

1  Thank idontlikechina
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I played Wolf Creek in November 2012 when staying in Ivins, Utah. The course is as spectacular as the photos, if not even better. It is really tricked out with great elevation changes and was super long from the tips (which is where I played from, which was fine except for the 9th hole where I just couldn't carry the creek from the tips - too far for me). The staff were excellent and I was teamed up with two nice guys who also enjoyed the scenery and excellent course conditions. The greens had suffered some trauma, and we were warned that they were not up to usual conditions, but after a very rough 1st green the rest were surprisingly good (I'm sure they are back to being excellent now). It is a really fun course where you can strategically take chances cutting corners if you can bomb it far enough. I loved it and look forward to returning at some point in the future. The town of Mesquite has clearly hit bad times, but this course was great all around. The driving range is short, so no warming up of anything longer than 200 yards, which is disappointing given how many drivers you need to hit, but so it goes. The day was great and apart from great golf you are in awe of the scenery (my camera was out a lot) and the people skydiving from the airport next door which was fun to watch. Highly recommend this place!