“Threadbare, rode hard and put up to dry.”

Pioneer Hotel & Gambling Hall
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Laughlin
Sacramento
“Threadbare, rode hard and put up to dry.”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Maybe the view rooms are good but the parallel units behind are worn out. Cheap but not a good value. The place lacks good maintenance and upkeep. Comparable to one of the many forgotten mid-century properties in the shadow of the Vegas strip. Not the worst place I've stayed, but I won't be back. Morning breakfast was served by a surly waitress whom I somehow offended, and I hadn't said a word. Place was empty, yet she sat me in booth neart the entrance with no river view and didn't bother to tell me about a breakfast buffet.

Entire experience was a huge turn-off. Never plan to be back to Laughlin again. Seems the people here are just waiting to die.

Room Tip: Apparently spend more attention to the river view rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank curtismapman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Hungarian first
Nanoose Bay, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2013

After a long days driving we needed a place to sleep for the night and just happened to drive by the Pioneer Hotel. It had outside access to the rooms which we like so we stayed. The place is falling apart and needs serious renovations, it's decorated in 1960's farmhouse style and is all worn out. Bathroom light was full of bugs and it smelled of cleaner / deodorizer. We were near the pool and hot tub and there was drunken singing and loud voices late into the night and the people in the room next door were coming and going until 3am. Front desk was nice but knowing we were travellers they could have put us in a quieter area. The main resort and restaurants are pretty run down and everything smells of cigarette smoke. Unless you are a gambler and smoker I would give this a pass. We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotels on either side which were far nicer.

Room Tip: If you have to stay, ask for a room on the far side from the pool and casino or possibly a room over...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Edward C

Travelers are raving about these Laughlin hotels

Port Orchard, Washington
Reviewed January 6, 2013

approx 33 yr old, best of the older low teaser price. Have stayed at two others close by and found this one cleaner and great service. Opted for the riverside 3d floor as can't beat the morning wake up view. Despite mixed reviews on the breakfast buffut, we found it to be very good value, great taste large variety. Plenty for the none meat eater. We did go in at 7 am, so was freshly stocked. I wonder if some of those disappointed went near the end of the meal? I also liked that the parking is near the room, rather than off in a garage. Our room and the common areas were very clean. Will opt here in the future.

Room Tip: Given the mixed reviews, ask to see your room first.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rita D
Port Huron, Michigan
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Arriving at the hotel I felt like a local as the hotel staff were very freindly and made me feel welcome. The rooms are in desperate need of renovation, however the price was right for what I got. The rooms are well used and need new furnature, fixtures,doors, locks, beds,tv etc, etc, etc.
I do have to say the room was clean and functional and for the price I paid I would probably stay here again. If you are looking for just a place to sleep then this will be ok. If you are wanting to spend some time in the hotel room then I would recommend another hotel. This was my only complaint about the Pioneer, as the restaurant and the gaming area etc are excellent. Please see my review on the boarding house restaurant.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank nearpar
Tempe
Reviewed January 4, 2013

"Best of the Best" is not a fair assesment. This place is in horrible shape. Photos attached are upon check in. The hotel was booked and there was nowhere else to go and we were being charged.

Needless to say, we will not be back. It's time they address the problems they have.

No appliances are a joke! It's a sad day when management can't afford the basic appliances provided by all the hotels and establishments around them. People can go next door to Starbucks for coffee, we did each morning. We also found Harlow's is a wonderful restaurant with great staff and clean as a whistle! It was pretty hard to overlook (and this is 100% accurate); No hot water, or no water for showers, running toilets, over flowing toilets on first flush, no working phone to call to report issues, no working television remote. Did I mention the filth, (see photos) there was mold everywhere, not sure WHAT was on the wall in pictures attached, splattered dry blood(?), questioning what it was. We were locked out of our room, our cards shut off for no apparent reason after the maid came. When we went to the desk to have it corrected, nobody confirmed we were actually staying in the room we said we were. They didn't ask for ID, the counter clerk just whipped out two fresh cards and handed them out!!!!! There are no credit cards taken at the bar in the casino; Pioneer suuuuuuure would have made a boatload of money off the group we had up there - everyone took their money elsewhere to gamble/drink/eat and had a marvelous clean time. The staff enjoyed the tips too!!!!!!!!

I don't care what's advertised on the flashing neon sign, there is no best of anything.

Room Tip: I've got nothing. Buyer/Traveler beware.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Wiffqueen
Beulah, Michigan, United States
Reviewed December 30, 2012

booked 5 days in a dog friendy room,strong urine smell,decor from 1950,waGON WHELL THEME SHEETS ,HEADBOARDS,dirty carpet,13 inch tv,norman rockwell paintings on walls,we have stayed in many dog motels,motel 6 ,red roof inns etc,they still clean rooms,here they do not clean,we went camping after 1 night in 40 degree weather it was a upgrade over this.could not eat snacks in room due to smell etc whole property is dingey including casino.we left after 1 night and we are not pickey.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bob T
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

I have to admit my perception of hotel/motel values has changed since HOTEL IMPOSSIBLE has dawned. I pay closer attention to all aspects of my vacation stays. My second visit to the Pioneer was even better than the first. Chose a riverfront non-smoking suite and was most pleasantly surprised. Check-in staff was rather humorous and the room is by far the best $40/including taxes room I have EVER stayed in anywhere! Tested everything from hot water in sinks and shower to toilet flushing to availability of electrical outlets. Outstanding all around.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank BrianMillerSantee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laughlin
Aquarius Casino Resort
Harrah's Laughlin
Harrah's Laughlin
#1 of 11 in Laughlin
Edgewater Hotel & Casino

Been to Pioneer Hotel & Gambling Hall? Share your experiences!