“Nice surprise.”

Don Laughlin's Riverside Resort
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Laughlin
Bakersfield, Ca.
Reviewed August 1, 2005

In Feb. 05 we had gotten a show/room package at a good rate. Then I checked the reviews and was worried about what we had gotten into.Several reviews said thet the rooms were dirty, no hair driers, and heavy smoke everywhere.

Parking the first time was confusing and a pain until you realise that the signs for self parking lead you to the Valet Parking area. When we got there they had one person working the desk so we had a bit of a wait. In line we were hit with advertisements, especially for the river cruise. The next day though we found out that the river cruise was closed for the weekend.

When we got to the room we found out that it was clean and comfortable. It did have hair driers, but could not find a coffee maker. The pools were very nice, clean and pretty, although a little small, But the Hot tub was almost to hot and the "heated" pool was freezing. (then again we went in the off season)

As far as the smoke was concerned. I happen to be very allergic to smoke so I was worried. But our room was non-smoking (with no trace of Smoke). I did have some problems in the regular casino and some of the shops. But they were not nearly as bad as most of the other casinos in laughlin. On the bright side they had recently (2004?) added a nonsmoking Casino (the only one I found in Laughlin) which I was fine in. They may have some problems with smoke in the past, but are trying to improve. The shows are also non-smoking. In my opinion right now they are one of the better Laughlin hotels for non-smokers. (then again we went in the off season)

As a final note the people were nice, the price was reasonable, the room was nice, and the pool was nice. I would stay here again, if I go to Laughlin again.

• Stayed: February 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Lakewood ca.
Reviewed May 16, 2005

we were given very reasonable rate for two night stay, enjoyed the prime rib dinner, part of the package. the parking was easy, plenty of ice, no charge also coffee and tea also furnished in room, maid service was all to be desired, would be our stay if we go again. I. d. shouse

• Stayed: May 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2005

As for my impressions of Laughlin from 5 previous trips over 10 years, Old, slow and white trash heaven. Today's impression, the same, but the Riversdie was a surprise.

Stayed at Riv 5/6-5/8. Checked in and was really woried. First the youngest I saw was 100. Ok, maybe 90. But then I did see younger. 13-14 year old hood rats and white trash thugs. ROaming the halls and the arcade.

When we checked in we got bumped to a Riverview room for free (a $10 upgrade) and was plesantly surprised. Motel 6 furnishings, but newer and clean. Carpet was 1/4" thick industrial strength but spotless and very utilitarian rooms. Big basic bathrooms and nice size rooms. Would stay again. Not a fancy place, but for resting it is ok.

Only real bad thing was the waterpressure. The shower was a trickle. In fact on both days when showering the water went off for about 5-10 seconds then came back on. They must have only one water heater for all 1400 rooms as well. Never got hot. Just luke warm. Otherwise ok.

DON'T PAY MORE THAN $50.

STILL BETTER THAN FLAMINGO. See my June 2004 report. Yikes!!!

Stayed: May 2005
13  Thank Johnny V
Reviewed May 7, 2005

Took the package deal out of Des Moines to celebrate my wifes birthday. It was an outstanding trip and stay. We are now planning to go on another flight in August to celebrate my birthday. That should tell you what we thought of our experience. Thank You, Don!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank AZHawkeye
Reviewed May 6, 2005

We were taking a "road trip" and had heard about Laughlin over the years. So, on our way to Las Vegas, we decided to spend two nights there. We only stayed at this hotel because my folks love it and would have been heart broken if we stayed anywhere else. I guess I have to be up-front and say that we usually stay at the Mirage in Las Vegas and we did know better than to try and equate the Riverside with that. However...

When we checked in they charged us two dollars for each room key. Then she told us that their key machine wasn't working so we could not use them to get into our room anyway! She said Security would have to meet us at our room to let us in. So we headed towards the elevator to get up to the tenth floor. There was a bank of three elevators. The middle one would not work at all. The one we finally got in to groaned and screeched so much that I had my heart in my throat! Security never showed up to let us in so we had to flag down a cleaning lady and have her call Security again. They finally showed.

When we got in the room, it was very clean, and very dated with a couple dusty plastic plants hanging around. The cold and hot water faucets were switched but we got used to that okay.

It was sunny out so we decided to go to the pool. There were very few people there. The only way to get something to drink was a pop machine...but it was broken. So, when we left the pool area, I told my husband that we should grab a couple pops from the machine on our floor. We wandered down to it and...guess what...it was broken...

That night we went to the casual cafe area to have dinner. We (who are 47 and 51 ) were easily the youngest people in there by a couple decades. Nothing wrong with that at all...I hope I live long enough to do the same thing. We waited for over twenty minutes for someone to bring us menus or to give us water (I wanted to leave but my husband didn't...yet...), so I flagged down a Keno runner and asked them if they could find us a waitress. She finally came over and took our order...and we waited almost another half hour for it...and they were both SANDWICHES! As we left, there were other people who WERE walking out and complaining to the hostess.

To make a long story short, it just wasn't the place for us, neither the town nor the hotel.

12  Thank cathykins
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed April 30, 2005

I went on a package tour from Rockford Illinois to Don Laughlin's Riverside Resort and had a wonderful time. The view overlooking river from the 18th floor was really awesome and my room was always fresh and clean. The casino complex was great fun and so large, there were so many choices of what to do. The slot action was fantastic, after the whole trip I came home with just $25 less than I started with. The people at the gaming tables were so helpful and kind, I had never been at a gaming table before and asked them to be sure to let me know exactly what to do as I didn't want to violate any rules. The others at the table were patient and helpful also and let me know what was going on and what to do. During the afternoon I would stroll along the river on the beautiful walkway, it was always clean and you really felt comfortable and safe. I had a great time and am looking forward (actually I can't wait) to return again to Don Laughin's Riverside Resort.

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 7, 2005

First for the people who say the Riverside is old and dark, think about it the more frills and neon ect. the more it cousts. I have been a Riverside customer for many years now and I have yet to have a bad stay. If a problem does come up they take care of right away, not to say they happen offen, but if they do you will be taken care of. The people there will do what ever they can do to make your stay there a good one. The food is good, the service is good the people are good. Like I said i'm a long time customer and I will continue to be one.

• Stayed: October 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laughlin
Aquarius Casino Resort, BW Premier Collection
#2 of 14 in Bullhead City
Harrah's Laughlin
Harrah's Laughlin
#1 of 11 in Laughlin

Been to Don Laughlin's Riverside Resort? Share your experiences!