“Old and Aged like its owner”

Don Laughlin's Riverside Resort
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Laughlin
texas
“Old and Aged like its owner”
Reviewed March 8, 2009

Seems as Don Laughlin has aged so has the hotel.

Stayed here on Feb21, saturday night. Booked the room on their online web site,, which incredibly was a waste of time. I booked a King Smoking room. What they gave me was a non smoking queen double bed room on the south tower 26 freaking floor. The lady at the reservations desk was going to give me the room i book until some woman supervisor came up behind her and told She to hose us.

i will never stay here again. the room was ok for a non smoker who likes the queen beds, the opposite of what i was supposed to get,, and return the room plastic key cards or pay 2 bucs each

I had previous stayed at the edgewater there, though the rooms were not great

dirty carpets,, paper thin walls,

car show was ok, but doesnt last long, at least that is free, amazingly

my main gripe here is the way they did the switch er room on the room i booked.

Overall rating = D----

remember first impressions mean the most, if your screwed when you first walk in, leave,,

oh and no room service, no high speed or any internet and A one hitter coffee pot i the room with styrfoam cups that will melt , lol, if you leave them on the burner.

3 Thank doctormud2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Mosinee
Reviewed March 5, 2009

I started going to Laughlin in March 2008. It is definitely my destination of choice. Riverside comps are the best. The location is great. There is so much to do besides gambling at the Riverside: bowling, movies, shopping - all right there!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank gacbingo
Indiana
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Went on an air/room package for around $300. The arrangement, flight, and airport pickup went very smoothly. Flight to Laughlin actually left early. Upon arrival the bags are taken to the resort and put in your rooms, you just get on the bus and are taken on a five minute ride to Riverside. Players cards and other info given on arrival on bus or at casino arrival.

First impression when entering was how big the place was. When walking through the casino area after arrival, was awed by all the signs with the amenities as well as how big it was. Several restaurants, cafes, bowling alley, car museum, riverboat, south tower, north tower, west casino, etc.

The first floor casino area reminded me of the Vegas casinos of 30 years ago. Low ceilings somewhat dark and smokey. (One of my complaints.) They do have a non smoking casino too, but the poker room and most of the table games are in the smoking section.

The room was quite spacious, with heavy door to reduce hall noise, plenty of space in bathroom, with great water pressure for shower. Room with King bed, also had large dresser, table, two bedside tables, iron and ironing board. My room had a view overlooking the river. You could see the mountains in Arizona and watch the boats on the river. The room was clean and well lit. Better than expected after reading some other reviews.

Not impressed with the buffet, but the Prime Rib Room was very good. If you go on a package deal, you get a comp prime rib dinner with 50 points on your players card. Personally, I think the best place to eat there is the Casa Serrano, the prices were reasonable and food was good. It is located in the west casino. By the way, when you get the 50 points, you have to go to the Players Club counter to get the voucher for the Prime Rib, then I'd suggest calling the restaurant for reservations or you may have a long wait to get in.

If you go from Sun-Thur. there are 99 cent margaritas at the bar in the no smoking casino. The cafe in the same area is open 24 hours but would not recommend the breakfast there, too high for a Jimmy Dean packaged muffin/egg/sausage sandwich.
The Riverside Restaurant has a breakfast special during the week. Around $4 for Eggs, meat, hashbrowns, toast.

As for the gambling they have anything there you want. Lot's of slots, which to me seemed very tight. Poker rooms has holdem tourneys every morning at 10 AM for $12 buy in.

Service around seemed fine considering the amount of people that was there when I was.

The Riverwalk is right outside the Non Smoking casino entrance. This walk goes along the river down to some of the other casinos. It's a relatively close walk to the next four casinos. Since this is about Riverside, won't comment on them.

There is no shuttle among the casinos, so if you want to go to Harrahs, or River Palms, would suggest a taxi, for around $8-$10. I walked it and it was about 2 miles to Harrahs.

There are some fast food places close by the Riverside along the street, as well as in a couple of casinos close by. There is a Subway and Burger King in the Aquarius, which is the first casino from the Riverside. Also a Starbucks, which has wireless hotspot.

Hope this helps a little. This was my first time there, so wanted to help others in the same boat. Don't think you could go wrong with Riverside, or some of the others. I'll be going back again.

7 Thank adivedog
Michigan
Reviewed February 23, 2009

We just returned from Riverside and was very disappointed in the hotel atmosphere. Last time we were there we stayed at Colorada Bell and the people working there were a lot nicer. There were also shuttles to take you from casinos which is nice. We are in our late 60- 70s and the walking is not enjoyable with arthritis. Our room was nice except for elavator noise. Put stuff on floor to see if cleaning lady was cleaning and it was there until we left . At least toilets were clean. But I am sure we will be back to Laughlin because we like it more than Vegas. I was very surprised to see dogs were allowed in casino when I went to sit at machine I was greeted with a dog barking at me which was sitting on a chair. That was not to pleasing. Walking we saw alot of dog droppings that owners never cleaned up and that was not appealing.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank grandmotherof9
Nevada
Reviewed February 11, 2009

I was not impressed with the resort. I thought I was getting away from the bussle from the Vegas atmosphere, but little did I know. My husband turned a yr older this yr & I wanted to surprise him with a nice getaway!!! OMG, was I surprised!!!!!!
The riverfront resort is not a five star. The lobby was too smokie{poor ventilation} and the buffet was not all that. We was not impressed at all.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
6 Thank 2much2handle
Forney, Texas
Reviewed January 17, 2009

My husband and I visited Laughlin on January 9-12. Booked our trip through Don Laughlin's Riverside. We have been to Las Vegas, Reno/Lake Tahoe and Wendover....so we decided to give Laughlin a try. The short shuttle ride from the airport to the casino was great. The main purpose of this trip was to have fun, gamble and eat an In-N-Out burger (it was a birthday gift for my husband). We did some research on the area, so we didn't think we needed a rental car. So we walked to In-N-Out for our first taste of heaven in three years. It was a cool night, we were excited, so it didn't seem too far. We walked everywhere on this trip. There is no shuttle service between the casinos. We walked, and walked, and walked. Needless to say, if you want to visit other casinos in this area.....YOU BETTER GET A RENTAL CAR or catch a taxi. . There is a riverwalk, which is beautiful, and we did enjoy the stroll around. We did walk down to Harrah's on our last full day there, Harrah's is at the other end of "the strip". Isn't if amazing how close the casinos look until you start walking to them. The best $10 we spent while we were there was on the cab to get back down to Riverside. The cab driver was giggling because "we walked up that huge hill". Ok, back to the Riverside. Our room was on the 4th floor, so we had a balcony which was nice. I had read a review to stay in the SOUTH tower...so I followed their advice. The rooms are ok. Nothing fancy. The bed was like sleeping on a sheet of plywood and the pillows were about 2 inches thick. Even though we were exhausted from walking everywhere, we couldn't get any rest because the bed was so uncomfortable. Considering the price of the trip (with air & hotel)....it was an ok room. We did see something at this hotel that we had never seen before. When you enter your hotel room, you have to insert your room key into a slot on the wall, and this will activate the air conditioner/heat unit, lamp and television. We thought that was a little odd. We finally came to the conclusion that it was to save energy at the hotel. We ate In-N-Out three times while we were there (we don't have them anywhere around Texas) so it was a special treat. We did eat a dinner buffet at the Aquarius. The food was mediocre. It was the usual buffet food (minus the bananas foster). Would I eat another buffet there for the "Saturay Night Prime Rib & Crab Legs"? No. We had a "Champagne Breakfast" at the Riverside on Sunday morning. The food was ok. You couldn't beat the $10.99 price, but we were a little disappointed in the selection of breakfast food items. The champagne was HORRIBLE. Would I eat another breakfast buffet at the Riverside? No. Ok, now lets move on to the casino. All the employees were very nice. At times, there seemed to be a wait for a drink on Saturday night.....but the place was packed. So I can understand. The waitresses were still very pleasant and would let you know that it would be a few minutes before they could deliver your drink. We did win a few small jackpots while we were there, but nothing to write home about. It was enough to keep us playing and having a good time. Overall, we had a great time and will be visiting Laughlin again, with a rental car and our own pillows.

• Liked — You couldn't beat the price
  • Disliked — The room was ok, but the bed was very uncomfortable
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Rhonda777
roseville, ca
Reviewed December 14, 2008

We went to Laughlin, NV to see Sammy Kershaw in concert at the Don Laughlin's Riverside Resort Casino. We didn't book a room but decided to show up and just get a room which is not normal for us to do - but it worked out. I asked for a suite with a view - we got it! The room was very nice - it had two balconies overlooking the Colorado River.

The valet was great, the lady that checked us in was so very nice - and actually everyone that we met at this hotel was very friendly.

I brought my children with us and we did some sightseeing and went on the cruise on the Colorado River - that was part of the hotels amenities - it's actually very reasonable charge for the cruise. It was totally hot out but we didn't mind being on the cruise.

The restaurants are all great at the hotel - well except I wouldn't do the buffet there it wasn't that great quality food. I eat out a lot and I'm not that super picky about buffet food - but OMG that was definitely a one time place I'd never go back there. The cafe had great food so we ate there all the other meals.

We enjoyed our trip to Laughlin and I look forward to going back!

• Liked — Nice clean rooms with a view.
  • Disliked — Nothing about the room...
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank countrymomma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laughlin
Aquarius Casino Resort
Harrah's Laughlin
Harrah's Laughlin
#1 of 11 in Laughlin
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,274 reviews

Been to Don Laughlin's Riverside Resort? Share your experiences!