“Decent if you're just looking for a place to sleep that's inexpensive”

Plaza Hotel & Casino
Ranked #108 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
yucaipa
“Decent if you're just looking for a place to sleep that's inexpensive”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My first impression when pulling into the parking garage was what the heck did I get myself into. There were some shady characters running through it. The elevators to get down to the lobby ( from parking) were filthy. When we exited the elevator into the casino area it was heavy with smoke and dim, just an overall grungy feel. We got into the lobby and it didn't look too bad. Unfortunately while we were waiting to check in (a good line, three people up front but only one actually working with waiting customers so it took a while) we started to notice an order that was an odd cross between sewer and something else. We apparently weren't the only ones noticing as an employee ( janitor?) started walking around spraying air freshner which just made it worse and difficult to breathe. We figured maybe it was just the lobby. Boy were we wrong. The whole floor and our room was awful. I tried calling the front desk twice but didn't get an answer. The light by the door had a blown bulb. The rest were unplugged which was exciting, trying to work our way around in the dark plugging things in and finding light switches. We finally got through that and managed to at least disapate the smell long enough to get to sleep. I tried calling the front desk again in the morning and again didn't get an answer. We decided to go to Walgreens and get some car vent clips to put on the AC. When we got downstairs I asked the front desk what the oder was ( as it was worse that morning) and she just shrugged said she didn't know and someone else had complained as well. They offered us a different room but at that moment it seemed to be throughout the hotel so we declined ( later on we concluded it must have just been the north tower as we we were on the 2nd floor by the south side for a presentation and it was fresh and clean). Oh well, the clips worked well. As for the casino, we stopped for a bit on the way in from our evening and played a few slots. Servers were scarce but then again so were the patrons. Other than the smell, the lights, and slow check in, oh, and the elevators having issues, the room was clean overall and the price was good. It worked for what we needed it for which was a place to sleep for two nights.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pandora1356
E_Eisenberg, Director of Hotel Operations at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Pandora1356,

Thank you for providing feedback of your recent visit to the Plaza. Comments such as yours enable us to identify our shortcomings and improve guest service and we always appreciate hearing about your experiences. Our goal is to provide all of our guests with a clean, safe, friendly and fun environment each and every time they visit. I am sorry that we fell short of our goal and we will work hard to improve each element of the guest experience.

I apologize that you did not have an outstanding stay with us and hope that you will give us another chance. If you would like to discuss your concerns in more detail, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you.

Best regards,

Eric Eisenberg
Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (976)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The rooms are very reasonably priced for how nice they are, and the location is great. A lot of the other hotels on Fremont are closer to lights and noise, this location lets you enjoy Fremont St but be able to quickly retreat to a nice, clean, quiet room. The room appointments are very above average for the market segment, I've stayed in much more expensive hotels that don't have furniture, bathrooms, TV's, etc that are as nice as Plaza's. This trip in July 2014 was about the 5th time I've stayed there, and I've always come away feeling I got a great deal for my money

Room Tip: I like the South Tower, it's closer to the parking garage
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank apwilla
Lisa M, Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hi Apwilla, Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We are happy to hear you found the rooms to be clean, quiet, and nice. We are very glad to hear you think the furniture, bathroom, TV’s, etc are high end. We love giving you a great deal for your money and look forward to your next visit!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

3 days in the south tower. Room was clean and was bigger than I expected but bathroom was small. View of parking garage from my room but who cares. They waived the resort fee which was nice. Two bottles of water in the room was not expected. I would stay here again if only for a few days and then maybe somewhere a lite more upscale.

Stayed August 2014
Hi JimMcD, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We are glad the room was clean and bigger than you expected. We look forward to your next visit.
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I stay at the Plaza 3-4 times a year when I want to play bingo. I like the hotel, the rooms are spacious and the housekeeping people are very good. The rooms are always clean. Decent selection of dining, the cocktail waitresses are great they remember me and are always there with my drinks. The Players club people are always smiling and seem to like their job. Nice variety of slot games, but I'm a bingo player so I spend most my time in that room. The Bingo staff is out of the world great! They are all very friendly, and so helpful and it's a lot of fun playing here. The only problem is that the money I spend at bingo doesn't count towards my players tier points, which is really unfortunately since I'm not a big slots player. Which means that I don't get my share of comps, like someone else would. But I keep coming back to play because it is the only bingo downtown and it's so much fun there.

Room Tip: Rooms that face Fremont are a litter noisier on the weekends because of the bands, but it's not...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank JOJOWIS2014
Hi JOJOWIS2014, Thank you for your review! We are glad you stay at the Plaza and find the rooms spacious and clean. We are happy to hear you love the staff, especially the Bingo staff! I have let the Bingo Manager know of your thoughts, so look for changes to the bingo reward points in the near future!
Lincolnshire
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My wife & I stay at the Plaza every few months, we always stay for 2 weeks. Flights from England are tedious & expensive!
Yet again we enjoyed our stay. The staff are good. the cocktail waitresses all know us & make gambling a pleasure, the pit staff are just as good, the housekeeping ladies are helpful & the valet parking crew is ultra fast. See those girls run! Bell staff were helpful & the front desk staff were friendly & efficient.
The casino hosts are simply brilliant, they take great care to ensure our stays are hassle free.
The comps are the best downtown.
The room was excellent & with the strip view it was quiet.
We never noticed any unpleasant smells & we checked in quickly
The Plaza is now like a 2nd home. Cannot wait for the next trip

Room Tip: Ask for a strip view, you will stay in the south tower, if you want a quieter stay. Use valet park...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PollysPa
Lisa M, Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hi PollysPa, We are so happy you are able to call the Plaza your second home! We appreciate you! We look forward to your next stay.
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was our 1st time staying at the Plaza. The rooms were clean & pleasant, there is only 1 mirror & it is in the bathroom. Be warned, the check in took over an hour. It was a Saturday, but the line looked just as long & slow when we walked by on Sunday. Check in as early as possible to avoid the wait.
There are some fun, & different slots at the Plaza, but we did not win much. We may stay here again, it was pretty good, but not fabulous.
It is convenient to walk downtown to other casinos, & restaurants.
There is a food court with a McDonald's, & it is crowded, with very slow service. Eat elsewhere if you can.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank icemom2009
Hi Icemom2009, Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed the fun and different slots at the Plaza. We hope you'll be back really soon.
Huntington Beach
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Had a nice view and room located in the South Tower overlooking the swimming pool. Requested the South Tower after reading a lot of review of the noise from the Fremont Experience in the North Tower so we were pleased with our quiet location. Our room was spacious but the reviews of the small bathroom area is spot on! For those who maybe claustrophobic, the bath area could provide some issues! Still had a good three night stay....also ate at Pop Up Pizza a couple of times and as vegans, we thought that the Soho Vegan Pizza was probably the best we've ever had anywhere, to date! Room was booked through Casablanca Express and had to attend a timeshare type presentation to get a good room rate. Overall a good stay, check in and out was very efficient and did not encounter any problems that other reviewers indicated, thank goodness!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank GHTfromHB
Hello GHTfromHB, Thank you for your review! We are glad you enjoyed your location in the South Tower. The Soho slice at Pop Up is so good- you can’t even tell its Vegan! We are happy to hear you found check in and out to be very efficient. We hope you will be back soon!