“My sister's wedding” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #108 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“My sister's wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

A group of family and friends went to Las Vegas to witness the wedding of my sister Marie and brother n law, Hasan. We stayed in the Plaza Hotel and Casino. Our rooms were fantastic, we stayed on the 5th floor which led out to the roof top swimming pool. The restaurants were the best. Affordable and so much food you could not eat it all, not to mention the presentation at the Hash A Go Go. restaurant. To top it off we were right at the entrance of Freemont Street, never ending excitement. Stores, casinos, food spots and shopping. We have already booked our trip for this coming October 2013.

Room Tip: The South tower is quiet, The North tower faces freemont street and the fifth floor of either tower...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Charlayne G
PlazaBest, Public Relations Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
We are thrilled you had such a great experience at the Plaza! We agree, we sure have some great places to eat here. Hash House certainly does know how to make an exciting presentation with their food. We are also glad to hear your coming back. Thank you for your review and look forward to seeing you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,061)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Can't complain about one thing, had a fabulous stay! Enjoyed the fact that the hotel has several restaurants on the main floor.

Rooms: large and modern
Pool: the fact that it is roof top is neat.
Staff: mostly friendly

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Laceycee
PlazaBest, Public Relations Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. Glad you had no complaints! Hope to see you back really soon.
Peoria, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here during their soft open after their remodel/reopening. We had booked a deluxe view room, but were upgraded upon check in to a mini-suite. There were a few hiccups, which was normal for a "new" hotel, and they didn't have bell service yet (I hate having to truck my luggage through a casino to get to my room), yet nothing prevented me from wanting to stay here again. We were in LV last weekend and decided to try the Plaza again and let me tell you my opinion has changed.

We had a late check-in because we were driving up from San Diego. We arrived a little before 10:30pm. I pulled up to the valet, and they informed me that bag drop off was in the front. So I pulled around to the front circular driveway and found no bell hop, no door man, nothing - just a security guard. So I unloaded my bags and helped my wife move them up to the front desk. The security guard was giving my and my vehicle the "evil eye", so I moved my car back to the valet while my wife checked in. We were informed that due to low occupancy, they didn't have bell service anymore (we later found out they have day bell service, they just stop at "10-ish"; I couldn't get a hard time out of anyone). Strike one.

We got to the room and went in and when the door swung closed I realized it was not closing all the way. The door lock plate was bent and would not allow the door to move past the brass strike plate on the frame. Huh I thought, that is odd they would not catch something so obvious. So I called the front desk at 10:45 exactly. I informed them of the issue and asked if we could switch rooms. I was informed that they didn't have anymore of my room type available so they would have to send someone up to fix it. (I wondered why we weren’t just upgraded to a full suite if they had "low occupancy", but maybe those rooms were all full too). I asked if they could send someone right away as I was unable to leave the room since the door would not close (without taking all of my luggage). At 11 I was getting a little irritated, so my wife went down to the front desk while I waited. At 11:15 the guy finally got there, fiddled with the door for about 10 minutes and finally got it fixed by taking the lock apart and reassembling it. We asked the night manager, and then inquired why it took so long to get someone up to fix the door, she said it was because they where have a shift change in maintenance, and they have to sync up the shifts. So again I asked, “So if my wife was here alone with just her girlfriends, at 11 at night, next to the bus station, in a hotel where there is no security at the elevators, waiting in a room with a door that doesn’t close 30 minutes for someone to come fix it, don’t you think the customer suffers as well as being a guest safety issue?” She replied “yes, I guess it does” (direct quote) and offered to refund out $10 resort fee. Strike two.

Another ding for the hotel is that although the valets are super nice and super quick and efficient, the valet parking area is at the back of the hotel, NOT in the parking garage. So your car is sitting in the direct desert sun all day while self-parking is in the garage. I don't see how you would spend 55 million dollars to renovate a hotel and not spend the extra couple of hundred thousand more (at most) to put up some covered valet parking areas - even most apartment complexes have those. Additionally, the hotel renovation was completed just over two years ago, and in that time everything has taken some damage. A lot of the elevator lights don’t work, in our mini-suite room, the carpet had a large snag in it where the thread bunched up; like house keeping and maintenance don’t own a pair of scissors to cut it out? The bathroom door was cracked at the bottom in several places and chipped (can you say paint?). The casino smells of must, dust and/or smoke. To put it in a nutshell, they don’t seem to do much routine maintenance. Strike 3.

I honestly don’t know if we will stay here again. Hotel issues aside, the slots seem pretty tight as well, so we just ended up doing most of our gambling at other downtown casinos. Although dated, I much prefer the level of service we get at the Fremont if I were to come back looking for a cheap room. If I were not looking for a not cheap room, I think I would try the Nugget or the newly remodeled “D”.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank The_Rockkk
Thank you so much for your review. We are truly sorry for your negative experience with the Plaza. The wait time on room maintenance was not acceptable. They certainly should have come right way. Yes, bell service ends at 10pm in the low season. We are sorry you were inconvenienced by this. We truly hope you will reconsider trying us again.

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I recently returned from a 4-night stay at the Plaza. My sister and I had previously stayed at the Plaza last year for just one night during our on-Strip stay in Vegas. We actually really liked the whole Fremont Street feel so we decided to stay at the Plaza for our entire trip this year.

We booked a really good rate on their website which included a 25% discount for our entire stay. When we stayed at the Plaza last year, we stayed in the North Tower, which was newly renovated, somewhat spacious (for Vegas), and nicely decorated. When we checked in on Saturday 8/31, we were given a room in the South Tower. We had to walk across the casino floor to get to the South Tower elevators. When we stepped onto the elevators, we immediately saw a difference from what we remembered. The carpets were dirty and dingy and the stale stench of cigarette smoke was EVERYWHERE. We opened the door to our room and decided we were NOT unpacking. The room looked NOTHING like we had remembered in the North Tower. The bathroom was dirty, the bedding was stained, and the room was scarcely furnished (a single-sided dresser, no chair - the room looked pretty empty). One of the pillowcases had a hole in it, and there were all sorts of crumbs and random "junk" under the mattress. Just disgusting!

We returned to the front desk to specifically request a room in the North Tower. After about 15 minutes we were able to get another room in the North Tower. We noticed that the front desk rep kept commenting that we were staying "for so long" and that was what was making it difficult to find us a room. We thought that was a bit strange as we were only staying for 4 nights. Later on in our stay, her comment would make sense.

We went to check out the new room FIRST before moving our luggage. The room was definitely more like what we had remembered. Even the sheets were nicer. It was clean(er), and had a double-sided dresser, as well as a sitting chair and table. Hmmm...we wondered why there was such a STARK difference between the two towers!

Once we moved our bags to the new room, we went to park our car in the garage. When we proceeded to the elevators from the garage we were once again DISGUSTED - Nothing but absolute FILTH!! The carpets were so dirty they were black, and it seems people enjoy leaving shoe imprints all along the walls. And we could barely breath walking into those elevators!

We settled into our new room and things were fine for the first couple days. Then on Monday, we got a call saying that we had to move from our room by the end of that day! Since we were out all that day, we didn't get the message until late in the afternoon. I returned the call and spoke with the manager Alyssa. She was very apologetic and offered an upgrade to a 1BR Suite in the South Tower. I told her about our already traumatic experience with the South Tower and that we were not interested in moving to a room there. I inquired as to why we had to move. She gave me two explanations, the first (which I believe was "shady" at best) was that there was an electrical problem in the room above ours and that maintenance needed our room to be vacant to do the work. The second was much more believable. She explained that during non-peak days they like to leave the North Tower rooms empty to "cut down on operating costs". Aha! The REAL reason we were asked to move! Suddenly, the front desk rep's comments began to make sense. She put us in a room in the North Tower KNOWING full well that we would have to leave the room in just 2 days when the weekend was over! Unbelievable!

After Alyssa upped the ante to include a comped night's stay in addition to the room upgrade (of course she made a point of telling me how "generous" she had already been in offering the upgrade; really??), along with assurances that housekeeping would ensure the room was clean, we packed up and lugged our belongings to the new room.

I must say that the suite was in fact "sweet". It had a living room, 1 1/2 bathrooms as well as a wet bar with a fridge and coffee maker. We were on the 22nd floor so we had an awesome view of downtown. To be fair, I'd also add that we had some fun in the casino (using the coupons in the fun book they give out a check-in) and ate at the Hash House restaurant for breakfast (again using their coupon) which was really good - especially those biscuits w/homemade jelly!

Despite being given the upgrade and having some cushy digs for the last half of our stay, I could not recommend the Plaza to anyone. With having to change rooms twice during a short 4-day stay, encountering daily filth in the elevators, breathing in cancer every day because of their inadequate ventilation system, "housekeeping" that only changes towels (no beds made, trash emptied, etc) and having to pay a daily resort fee (for what I have no idea), I'd rather pay more for a better, stress-free experience. I really prefer the downtown atmosphere of Vegas, but options for nice accommodations are almost non-existent (not paying Golden Nugget prices that are as much as the Strip resorts). There are, however, some new hotels opening downtown, so the Plaza will no longer be able to boast having the "newest" rooms Downtown. They seem to be "trying" at the Plaza, but they are just still too far behind. Perhaps we "got what we paid for" since we booked a super cheap rate, but that's NEVER a reason for poor service. Unless any of those new hotels open in time for my next trip, I won't be staying downtown, and I definitely won't be staying at the Plaza - sorry!

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, insist on a room in the North Tower!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank ms30sumthang
Thank you for your detailed review. It is truly unfortunate that the front desk made you switch rooms. We are sorry for the inconvenience. That should not have happened. Otherwise, I am glad you liked the rooms you got (with exception of the first one) and enjoyed dining at Hash House a GoGo. We hope you will reconsider staying with us again.
Fontana, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I brought my children to Vegas as a graduation reward - one from high school and the other from Jr. College. I wanted them to have the Fremont Experience. $25 night was a great price, and as always, the staff was professional. Security wasn't always posted by the elevators as previous stays, which I prefer that they were. Rooms clean as usual, it is very odd when I read other reviews of having filthy rooms, as if we aren't staying at the same place - but cleanliness has never been an issue when I've stayed here. As we were leaving, my mother was coming to Vegas and is VERY picky as it pertains to hotels - usually a 5 star patron. I talked her into The Plaza because she didn't want the hustle & bustle of the strip. To my surprise she loved it as well, as she - like me was looking for a clean room! Will be returning in December and will be returning to The Plaza!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank kimdeewill
Thank you for your review. Congrats to your children for graduating! We are honored you chose to take them to the Plaza. It is wonderful to hear that you and your mother had such a positive stay. We hope to see you back really soon.
Bradenton Fl United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

my husband and son just got back from las vegas yesterday, they have stayed at the plaza before but this time will be the last. he was very disappointed with the room and the atmosphere.
room was very basic no refrigerator or coffeemaker. was charged a resort fee every day. the plaza did have entertainment but there was no buffet anymore. very surprised they had to hunt for a buffet. Las vegas has changed and is not want it used to be. think it was last time going there for whole family.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Cindy D
Cindy,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry your husband and son were disappointed with their stay and accommodations. We do have many great restaurants at the Plaza but, yes, no buffet. We do hope you and your family will reconsider and stay with us again.

Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

When my wife and I heard that The Plaza Hotel had been completely renovated, we just had to give it a try after many trips to Las Vegas. Well finally on our recent trip we drove into the self-parking lot, we drove up to the second level, parked and got out. As we walked to the elavators we noticed graffiti on the wall headed inside, the carpets were worn dirty stained and the area was smelly. we guessed that maybe only the rooms were renovated not the entire hotel. Well after walking for what seemed like miles from the garage to the check in desk, we went to our room and as we entered the room, the feeling that we usually get when we walk into an expected renovated room, we were not happy. The room did not feel or quite look as if it had been renovated. Of course we do not know what the rooms were like before since we had never stayed there before. At least in our room the walls were scraped, the original hair dryer did not work, the carpet did not appear to be clean, and we just didn't feel that the room lived up to the hype it was given. After one night (because it had already been paid for), we checked out, especially after hearing another complaint being made about the smell of a room. I can understand that other people was in the room before we were, but the feeling of clean was not present.

Room Tip: Ask to view a room before booking it if possible, or ask to msee the room once you arrive and decide...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelvin R
Kelvin,
We are disappointed to see that you and your wife was disappointed with the room you stayed at our hotel. Our cleaning staff is always striving to keep our rooms clean. We hope you will reconsider and try our hotel again.