“Good place to stay to see Fremont Street”

Plaza Hotel & Casino
Ranked #108 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Whitehorse, Canada
“Good place to stay to see Fremont Street”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I had one room for one night in the south tower. I've stayed here before and have found it ok. Like most casinos, at the Plaza getting from the parking garage through the casino to check in is putting your lungs in jeopardy(there are worse places). I found the elevator to be fast and no lineups. Fremont Street is a quick walk across the street. If you've stayed on the LAS strip before, this is an ok alternative to see another part of town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
PlazaBest, Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
"Hi,
We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Plaza Hotel and Casino. Fremont Street is definitely a unique part of town. Hope to see you again soon! (:
Plaza "

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (976)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Camrose, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here mid week for $25 a night. Check in was at 3 but they didn't have a king bed (as requested) so we waited until 5. When we got to the room it was just 2 doubles anyway. Spacious room with a desk, iron & board, safe, desk & chair, 1 lounge chair. Beds firm but OK for sleeping. You may have to ask housekeeping for blankets as their is only a sheet and thin blanket. Single sink is outside the bathroom. The bathroom is VERY SMALL...you cannot turn around in it really. Lots of hot water. Air conditioner worked fine. Some holes and scuff marks on the walls and the paint was peeling on the inside of the bathroom door but generally clean.
I don't know that we would stay here again but if you just want a cheap room for a few days while you explore freemont street it would be OK.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Liz730053
"Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Plaza Hotel and Casino. We appreciate your detailed description of the issues with your room. If you could please send us an email with this review to Plaza.Marketing@PlayLV.com, we would really appreciate it and try to remedy the situation. I can assure you this is not typical.
Plaza"
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 17, 2013

When we started planning my Vegas trip this time we decided it might be fun to stay closer to Fremont Street. I found the Plaza Hotel and it seemed nice enough on the internet so we booked!

I was definitely pleasantly surprised!
We arrived around midnight and used the valet. They were quick and also got bellman to help us with our baggage.

The young lady who checked us in was excellent! She gave us a room upgrade with a spectacular view and the room was absolutely stunning. Yes, it's old Vegas, but this hotel has kept up and maintained everything to keep it's guests happy.

Our housekeeper was superb! Both mornings we were there, we went to breakfast maybe for an hour at a time and by the time we came back to the room before hitting the pool, our room was clean!

This hotel doesn't have a spa, we had to go down the street a little bit to the Golden Nugget, but it wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PlazaBest, Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hey there,
We are so glad to hear you had a great experience with the Plaza Hotel & Casino including the stunning room and our friendly staff. We hope that your next stay with us is equally as great or even better. We look forwards to seeing you again! (:
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The rooms are quite nice. Plenty of space, although the bathroom is a bit small, but how much time do you really spend in there on vacation. The biggest problem with this hotel is its staff (or lack thereof).

The first day I checked in, there was someone at the elevators checking everyone's room keys to make sure they belonged. That was at 3:30pm. After that, no one was ever on duty at that position --including late at night when many people should not have been there. Also, in the four days I stayed at the Plaza, I only saw a concierge on duty once. Every single person who asked the concierge a question on that day, including myself, were told we would have to inquire at the front desk. She had absolutely no information.

So, we all move to the Front Desk line --and those personnel were not much better at helping us. One person in my group changed rooms and left her cell phone charger in her original room by mistake. And God forbid anyone from housekeeping, security, or front desk people would be able to assist in finding out if the charger was still in that room.

First, housekeeping said they had no record of finding it and call security. Security said housekeeping would have the charger, but we should call the room and see if the new guests have seen it. So, we call the front desk to connect us to the room, and they say they cannot connect the call unless we know the name of people staying in the room. After explaining the situation, the front desk says to call security. It was a vicious cycle. After three days of banging our heads against the wall, we gave up. And yes, we went to the room multiple times and knocked on the door, but no one ever answered.

Anyway, the food choices in the hotel were fine --typical Las Vegas fare and the rooms were clean. But don't expect any type of customer service if you need it. I do not get to Las Vegas very often, but if I return, it will not be a repeat stay at this hotel

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you will need to ask for a room that does not face the Freemont Street e...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HeatherK3
Boston Area
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The rate was too good to pass up so I booked one night to experience Downtown Vegas on a recent trip. The property was completely renovated a few years ago so how bad could it be?

Check In: Check in was quick with no line at around 8pm. The agent wasn't overly friendly or talkative but checked me in efficiently.

Room: Very basic with updated furnishings. It looked like the bare minimum was done during the renovation. No attention to detail was given and much of it looked slapped together. The doors were not replaced and it appears the tub was not either as it was stained and very old looking. The room was clean enough however.

Public Areas: Public areas have been updated as well. The entire property had a very strong perfume scent in an attempt to cover up the smoke smell. They succeed in covering up the smoke but I am not sure the air freshener is much better.

Overall this is an okay place to stay in my opinion for a short stay. I am not sure what it was but I did have sort of a "creeped out" feeling about the place...but that was just me. The price was right and it was clean enough but I am not sure I would return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank discjoker
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Plaza Hotel & Casino. We apologize for all of the inconvenience. If you would be so kind to please email us at plaza.marketing@playlv.com with these details of your stay. I can assure you that we will do our best to remedy the situation. Thank you in advance.
Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was staying at the hotel for a training course. Check-In was late at night but went very quickly. The staff was friendly and provided detailed instructions on how to reach my room. I did not get the King Deluxe Room I had booked. When I got to the 17th Floor (North Tower) I was shocked. The numbers on most of the doors had fallen off. Upon entering my room it was clean. The room faced Freemont Street and was very loud. Having been to Las Vegas many times I had planned for this. Having traveled all day I jumped into the shower and discovered hot water did not exist. I have had warmer showers in the field while in the military.

The next morning I discovered the ironing board in my room was broken and the iron was leaking water. I left a note for housekeeping and they took care of it for me by the time I got back to my room that afternoon. During the day the I was in a meeting room. The room was great and provided everything we needed. The course included catering by the hotel for breakfast and lunch. The meals were OK...nothing to write home about. I know trying to make 100 or more financial counselors and foreclosure counselors happy with their meals would be a challenge. The desserts were the highlight of the meals!

Since I don't smoke or drink the casino wasn't really for me. I did play a few slots. The few employees I interacted with were very nice and professional. The casino was clean and I did not see a single ashtray that had ashes in it....Kudos to the cleaning staff.

I ate at the Hash House twice and the meals were great and priced fairly for Las Vegas. I ate at the bar one night and the bartender worked non-stop on prep and cleaning. The young man made recommendations and kept my iced tea glass filled. I was impressed by his work ethic. I know the hotel has staff that reads these postings. I did not get his name but he was in his 20's with reddish hair. Please give him an atta-boy. I ate at the bar on June 11th.

I can deal with a cold shower, smaller bed, and average catering food. What really troubled me was the lack of numbers on the door. My room was missing two of the four numbers. Although a placard was placed beside each door with the proper room number having missing numbers on the door struck me as funny. I cannot understand why a manager hasn't walked the floors and addressed the issue. It gives the appearance of either not caring or not taking ownership of the hotel.

I would stay here again if I needed to. I like the thought of "Old Vegas" compared to the high number of drunks, pushy sales people, and the crowds of the Strip. I understand the hotel is working on improving things. I really hope they do. Overall I had a expected a little more..

Room Tip: Get a room in the south tower if you don't want to listen to Freemont Street most of the night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank S B C
PlazaBest, Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to write a great detailed review. We highly appreciate it. We are very sorry to hear about your experience with the Plaza Hotel and Casino. If you would be so kind, please email us at Plaza.Marketing@playlv.com with these details of your stay, - I can assure you this is not typical and we would like to attempt to remedy the situation.
As for the friendly and hard-worker bartender, he will definitely get recognized. :)
Once again, we apologize for all of the inconvenience and we hope to see you soon again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We got an amazing price on our room and were pleasantly surprised when we opened the door to find such a spacious accommodation. We had a king size bed, a nice sitting area, and huge desk/dresser. The toiletries were quite nice, not cheap off-brand like many inexpensive hotels. There were many dining establishments to choose from, including fast food and sit down restaurants. We were worried that the noise from Fremont Street was going to be a problem but it was far enough removed to not bother us.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi there,
Wow! What an amazing review. We are very happy to hear that you loved your room and that your experience with us was great. :) We hope that your next stay at the Plaza Hotel and Casino is equally as great.