“Plaza Hotel @ Fremont Street Experience”

Plaza Hotel & Casino
Ranked #108 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Broomfield, Colorado
“Plaza Hotel @ Fremont Street Experience”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The new and improved Plaza Hotel has come a long way since being renovated. It is now fairly clean and modern with several restaurants; casual, fine dining, pizza, Mexican, McDonalds and a nice little coffee and pastry shop. The casino itself seemed a bit dated and never really seemed to be all that busy. I'm not much of a gambler, but there were lots of open tables and machines.

The room itself was big. I liked the decor and how the lay-out was. The bed was firm, but comfy. The sheets and blankets were very thin and I actually got a tad cold...yes, in Vegas! My biggest complaint was the noise factor. Good grief, we could hear every word and every activity of our next door neighbors. It was like they were in the same room. Not good. I was happy when they checked out.

Room Tip: Try to request a room that faces Fremont Street Experience. We were in the south tower and our view...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paige B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,098)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orient, Ohio, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I loved the setting of the hotel, the restraunts that were in the hotel were excellent!! The room was redone, and was spacious!! Cannot wait to go back again!!! Being across from Fremont Street was the best! We did travel to the other end of the "strip", but came back to Fremont Street!! Loved the live bands, and just the people there. The hotel staff was excellent would recommend to anyone wanting to go to Vegas!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle S
PlazaBest, Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Hi! We are so glad to hear that you loved your stay at the Plaza! Be sure to join our email list and "like" us on Facebook so that you won't miss out on great deals and rates for your next stay :) Best, Plaza
Barrie
Reviewed February 24, 2013

First I want to say that based on first impressions, the Plaza has made some huge improvments. Having visited this property many times before the renovation, I can say that when you first walk in, the improvments are huge. The lobby, desk area and Restaurant areas are greatly improved. The rooms as well are spacious with nice looking furniture. Though there have been a lot of comments of the air purification/fragrance in the Plaza, I thought that it was a definite improvment over the smokiness in most casinos downtown. However, after you pull away the veneer, the real problems emerge.

Casino

Absolutely no atmosphere. The machines are too far appart and the casino tables are laid out wrong. There is really no atmosphere and the the casino seems huge instead of inimate. The Z-Bar was hardly open and the half the pit was always closed. The Dice pit is at the far end of the casino and was deserted much of the time. While I was there the sparts book was being renovated but still, the casino was not engaging and was nearly empty most nights and afternoons. As well, the Plaza has added the continuous shuffling machines at the Balckjack tables. I will actively advoid these tables and the majority in the Plaza had these machines. Drink service was also infrequent compared to the D or Fremont.

Check-in

Check in was fine and quick. However, I did see lines at certain times of the day. This seemed to be due to being understaffed at peak check in times. I did have a few complaints that were handled by the staff promptly with no issues.

Rooms

The rooms are nice and big. I have no issue with the lack of closets (They are part of the bathroom). Beds were comfortable. Be prepared in the North Tower facing Fremont that the rooms are noisy until at least 1:00 am. Put the fan on and it will mask most of the noise. As well, the elevators have not beeing upgraded. They are quick enough but are very noisy and clunk at all hours. During the night this is quite annoying. Many of the rooms also have adjoining doors to other rooms. Near the end of our trip, the couple in the suit beside us decided to smoke in their non-smoking room. This samke wafted into our rooms and literally billowed under the door. There are no seals around the door frames and this created a problem. We finally had to call downstairs and security dealt with it. I would have preferred nto to do this but the doors are horrible and the smell for two non-smokers was not tolerable. Finally, the water in the Plaza takes a long time to warm up. Our boiler had to be reset once and it took at least 5 mins to warm up before you could take a shower.

Fitness room

Barely adequate. There was one working eliptical machine and one bike. The other machines were not functioning. There were free weights, one ball and a universal gym that was half functioning.

Resort Fee.

My room averaged $40 per night for 10 days. I really can't complain. Now there was a $11.30 charge per day for the resort fee. It covers your fun book, water in the room, pool, wifi and fitness center. My only issue is that if this is being charged then the services should be there. The fitness center needs new equipment. The pool is seasonal. The wifi makes it worth it but is is not that reliable and was down a few times during our stay.

Overall

The Plaza is a well priced good value if you are looking for a room to sleep in. Beyond that, it is not a resort. The water system and elevators have not been upgraded and the rooms, though refurnished, were only painted over and the doors, and fixtured remained the same. The casino is really unplayble due to the shuffling machines and lck of any sort of fun vibe. Like the old Plaza, business came and go quie frequently. The Z-bar is new after a recent closure and the Salon upstairs was not open the entire time we were there. My recommendation would be to stay here is you want a decent clean place to sleep. If you want atmosphere the D or Golden Nugget would better suit your needs.

Room Tip: Park on 3rd floor of the garage. It leads directly into the Hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Metboy
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are sorry that you had that experience while staying with us! We are glad that you were able to get a great nights sleep, at the very least! If you'd like to further discuss your stay, please do not hesitate to chat with us on Facebook and/or via email Plaza.marketing@playlv.com
Euless, Texas
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Upon check in, the hotel provides each guest with a coupon book. There are two match play coupons inside, one for blackjack and one for craps/roulette. It is presumed they want you play them since they are provided. Well................................if you do, DO NOT use any other sort of coupon in addition.

I had a single coupon (one!) matchplay coupon from American Casino Guide that I used at the same time as the ones provided from the room check-in coupon book. I played two rounds of roulette and one hand of blackjack and the PLAZA WON all THREE! They got my money, I didn't take a dime from them.

Anyway, an Asian pit boss (I wish I had gotten his name, this happened Thursday, Feb 21 about 7:30 AM), came running over and started chewing my azz out and berating me for using multiple coupons. (2 of 3 were provided by the casino remember). The other dealers turned and looked at him while he was chewing me out.

My buddy that was with me was shocked. And vowed right there on the spot to NEVER spend another dime at the Plaza. I am inclined to agree with him. It was truly humiliating.

Look at my past reviews. I have given good reviews to this hotel in the past. Although most of my play comes from the sister property Las Vegas Club, I have stayed at the Plaza complimentary for three trips in a row so I must be a decent customer to them.

Well, no more. This may explain why the other casinos on Fremont St. and the Boyd casinos (Cal and Main Street Station) are bustling while the Plaza is an empty cavern.

Has no one ever used a coupon here from Las Vegas Advisor or American Casino guide as well as the ones provided by the hotel? I guess not. Thank God I didn't try and use the additional $10 match play coupon from the Las Vegas Advisor.

What would have happened if I had won on any of the three measly coupons I used? I shudder to think. Anyway, good luck to those who want to use the coupons provided. I will use my future complimentary nights at the Boyd hotels downtown where the folks treat you right.

Otherwise, the hotel was OK but the customer experience sucked by being humiliated in front of a half dozen non-working dealers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Daryl R
PlazaBest, Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hey there,
We are very sorry to hear that this was your experience at the Plaza Hotel and Casino. Having the inability to use coupons that you received is frustrating and we will look into this immediately. If you'd like to share more details of your experience with us, please email us at Plaza.Marketing@playlv.com

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Cherokee, Iowa
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is my fourth time staying at the Plaza in the last two years. I have no complaints about the condition and accomations of the actual rooms. They are very modern, roomy and comfortable. The beds and pilllows are excellent and the shower is excellent. My room was very close to the elevators in the North Tower and these elevators are extremely noisey and coulod easily be heard from my room.. Other than that I have no complaints as to my room. My only complaint has to deal with the fitness center. FITNESS CENTER???? What a joke. I was at the Plaza in October of 2012 and I comented on the condition of the Fitness Center back them (see my review). There are seven pieces of cardio machines in the fitness center (three elipticals very ancient and old, one treadmill, one exercise bike and 2 steppers (one stairmaster and one older off brand. When I was there in Ocotber, the stairmaster stepper was broken and did not work, two of the elipticles did not work and the treadmill belt slipped so bad it was unsafe to use. When I arrived on February 18th at the Plaza I went right away and was excited to use the fitness center. Holy crap what an absolute PIT. I will guarentee you that the place had not been cleaned in over a week. There were used towels EVERYWHERE as well as used plastic glasses all over the floor. It was discusting. Then I went to use the machines and nothing had changed since i was there in Ocotber of 2012. Only one elipticle worked, (barely) the treadmill had an OUT OF ORDER sign on it, the starmaster was still broken as was the bike. The Plaza had not done anything to fix or repair these machines in over 5 months which is totally uncalled for and unacceptable. How can they charge 15.00 a night for a resort fee and advertise that part of the fee is for the fitness center? I know for a fact that when I go back to Vegas again I will not stay here again unless they make some improvements in their equipment. I would like to know from The Plaza's management team why they cannot spend 10,000 to 15,000 and get some new equipment and have and actual FITNESS CENTER.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Todd W
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Pool not open, yet included in resort fee as well as coupon book. Why pay for a coupon book? Broken, propped up table. Thin blanket, bathroom fan didn't work, and large burn mark on dresser.and Saff nor Hotwire offer any type of compensation. Totally disgusted with entire experience.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank treekass
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed 2/15-17 and it was disappointed.

**I've noticed hotels give less than average rooms to guests when rooms are booked via travel site: hotels.com, expedia.com, bookit.com etc....(I travel for pleasure 3-6 times per year) and that what I got.

Room 605 North tower:
1. Large red stain 12" by 7" at foot of bed
2. Black streaks on dresser (also chipped on corner)
3. Carpet unraveling in several spots, worst are being directly outside closet/bathroom
4. Hole in bathroom door and smut on bottom of door visible with naked eye
5. Very long hairs in shower when i move curtain prior to showering
6. Turn on shower - a whale sounds & rattling pipe sound emitted from the wall during duration of shower
7. Bathroom sink must keep in cold position because beyond more than 2 inches to the left and water is scolding.
8. King bed was foam, I sat on edge and hit hard surface
9. Check in the line of 20-30 people waiting and 2 clerks
10. Resort fee is a joke wifi is in lobby only and mini bottles of water ????

Side note: Hass House A Go Go, its a 45 minutes to an hour wait for bacon and eggs but order fired chicken out in 5 minutes. Weird!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Tyleea D
PlazaBest, General Manager at Plaza Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Plaza Hotel and Casino. We appreciate your detailed description of the issues that you saw in your room. We have passed along this information to the appropriate parties who can help remedy. If you could please send us an email with your contact information to Plaza.Marketing@PlayLV.com, we would really appreciate it.