“Clean, Cheap, but don't expect too much more.”

Plaza Hotel & Casino
Ranked #110 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Murrieta, California
“Clean, Cheap, but don't expect too much more.”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

First time (in a long time) I've visited a hotel that doesn't/didn't have a blow dryer, and clothes iron/board.

Pros first:
The price was right (see the end of this review) and so I try to consider that when making a review. This hotel currently doesn't charge mandatory "resort fees".

This "deluxe" South Tower Room was decent size, with 2 queen beds. The beds were comfortable, but the pillows were pretty hard. Bring your own pillows if you like/need a softer pillow! The beds are double sheeted, (nice touch), but the bedding is very light, so you may need to ask for additional blankets of you want the feel of something on top of you when sleeping.

This room had a 32" Flat Screen TV. Premium channels are/were included (nice) during our stay.

The Plaza Hotel faces the Freemont Street Experience, and therefore makes for a convenient stay at "Downtown" Vegas.
That's about it for the pros.

CONS: Bathroom was so small that I had to virtually step into the bathtub to close the door. Door opens inward to the commode and shower making for very cramped use of that area. An outward opening door would help a lot.

The vanity area is decent, and next to it is an area for luggage and hanging of clothes. A wall safe is available as well.

There are no refrigerators in these rooms unless you are willing to pay additional fees.

There are NO ice machines in the halls on ANY floor.

The rooms were clean, however the remnants of stale smoke still permeated the room, compelling me to wash even my clean clothes upon return home.

It is important to note that for the price, this stay was acceptable, even with some of the basics missing.

Final thoughts:
Rates change constantly but this Deluxe Room in the South Tower ran less than 30 dollars per night mid-week. (makes it hard to complain too much).

Most hotels in Las Vegas charge a "resort fee", which in most cases is a mandatory extra cost that is paid upon check-in. The Plaza does NOT charge "Resort Fees", (as of November, 2011).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank WebSerf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,142)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I go to Vegas a lot and this was the first time I stayed at ‘The Plaza’ in Downtown Las Vegas. The only reason why I stayed there was because a friend of mine that lives in Vegas heard they had remodeled their rooms and wanted to check it out.
We checked in on Saturday, 11/12/2011 and they were nice enough to let us check in at 1:00. The first room that they assigned to us was already occupied, so we called the front desk and they had us come down to get a new key to another room. We asked for a NON-Smoking room and the second room that they gave us had the OLD MUSTY HOTEL SMOKE smell. I thought they remodeled??? We decided to just stay in the room since we were tired and didn’t want to have to pack everything back up.
There was no blow dryer or iron in the room so we called Housekeeping and asked them to send one up. Twenty minutes later, still no blow dryer or iron. So we called again. We were told they were on their way. Another 20 minutes later and we called another time, this time to tell them that we would just go down to pick it up. Again, we were told someone was on their way. Yet another 20 minutes later and still nothing. We called one more time and again we were told they were almost there. The guy finally got there after another ten minutes of waiting. We ended up waiting for over an hour just for a blow dryer and an iron. Needless to say, my hair was already dry by the time we got the blow dryer. It was perplexing knowing that the Plaza had ‘remodeled’ their rooms but the blow dryer or the iron didn’t come standard in the room? Even Motel 6 has blow dryers and irons in every room.
And then there were some draining problems with the sink. It drained REALLY REALLY slow. And granted, it was wrong but my friend threw up in the sink at 3:00am, making it worse. We called for a plumber and when he got there, he gave us an attitude about the throw up in the sink and complained about how he was the only plumber there.
The next day, after the sink was 'fixed', it started regurgitating and left gross brown bacteria in our white sink. It was just disgusting. I’m NEVER staying at the ‘newly remodeled’ Plaza Hotel again.
Sidenote: When I got home and unpacked, all the clothes that I brought with me, even the ones I DID NOT wear all smelled like old musty smoke. I have to rewash all these clothes now.

Room Tip: Read the reviews that others have posted!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anna Bee B

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Location was great. Great room. Only thing was the bathroom was tiny.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Doubl
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Just came back from a 7 night stay at the newly renovated Plaza. We stayed at the Plaza many times in the past before the renovation so we have a good knowledge of changes, improvements etc. For anyone looking for a brief opinion/review I can say we were very pleased with our stay and considering price paid the Plaza is an excellent value. There is definite improvement in the rooms, the look of the casino, and other facilities (restaurants, bars etc.). The staff/service is still one of the Plaza’s strong points. In short, you’d be hard pressed to find a better overall deal in LV and Downtown LV in particular.

Following is a much more detailed review for anyone interested. Feel free to message/PM me with any comments or questions.

Reservations/check in/out
Our reservation was accurate and we got the room with amenities we asked for. We checked in late (about 11PM) and it wasn’t busy at that time (2 people ahead of us) so we were done and on our way to the room in less than 5 minutes. Check out no problem - did it via phone call from the room, took only a minute or two. I’ve heard others complain about slow check in but from what I saw looked like they were doing a good job. Day before Veteran’s Day I saw a line up of about 40 people. I was walking by to pick up a coffee and sign into the internet. By the time I was done (about 10-15) minutes the line up was gone.

Rooms - all the rooms have been renovated and look very nice. Personally I like the look of the rooms and now the color schemes, carpet, furniture etc all co-ordinates together nicely. Beds are firm and very comfortable. Lots of storage space for clothing etc. The TVs are better quality than before with a much wider selection of channels than they used to have. Our room had 2 sitting chairs and a sitting table. AC/heating units are brand new and work great. Bathrooms completely renovated and look nice, although somewhat small. The plumbing is much improved. Now the toilets flush properly, there is plenty of hot water and good pressure in the showers, and the tub drains well (in the past we’ve had problems in all these areas - not anymore. They’ve also added a digitally controlled wall safe. In short a clean comfortable modern room with all the necessary amenities.

Housekeeping - one word - outstanding. Room was thoroughly cleaned and restocked with supplies as needed. Couldn’t have expected better. All special requests we had were dealt with quickly. One nice touch is you can now specify a time range for getting your room cleaned. I don’t know if this was available in the past but we loved it. We tend to stay up very late in LV and often don’t leave the room for the day until about 2PM. One day housekeeping called us and asked us if we wanted our room cleaned and at what time. After that they didn’t wake us up to ask anymore, we just got in the habit of phoning before we left for the day and telling them what time to come, and they were there everyday when we asked, like clockwork.

Food - we tried the two new restaurants Hash House A Go Go and Island Sushi& Hawaiian Grill. Both were excellent, good service and good value. Hash House has huge portions, good food and good value. So huge at times we’d order one entrée and split it, one each was too much at times! We don’t like sushi but Island Sushi also has a selection of other foods. They also handle the room service. Cant comment on that as we didn’t try it. There is a little coffee shop (Café a lait I think its called) by the front desk that also has sandwiches, bagels etc. Decent food and prices and hotel guests get a discount. Other than that there is a Subway in the food court. They have 4 more food establishments that are to open in December, Oscar’s (steakhouse), McDonalds, a Mexican restaurant and Gigi’s Cupcakes. Overall food options at the Plaza are much improved, good value and good quality.

Bars - 2 casino bars (Omaha and sports book). Staff are friendly and efficient. Both casino bars offer gaming at the bar and if you are playing generally drinks will be comped. One thing we didn’t like is the Plaza now has a more extensive list of drinks that they won’t comp (i.e. “premium drinks). For example in our case we drink a particular brand of rum. In the past we were always able to get it comped but now it is considered a “premium” brand and has been taken off the comp list. This is not an expensive rum, in liquor stores it costs maybe $1 more than most other rums. I should add that all the other casinos downtown comp this rum. We when complained to our casino host, the Plaza took care of us and decided to comp the rum for us because we are good, regular customers. So personally I cant complain, we were taken care of. But I know there are other regulars who had certain drinks comped in the past that are now no longer on the comp list. There are also numerous brands that the Plaza won’t comp that most/all other downtown casinos do comp. I think the Plaza may have to reconsider their comp strategy or they may upset or even lose some customers, including regulars. I know there is a limit to comp drinks (i.e. I wouldn’t expect to get top shelf cognac or Dom Perignon comped), but if the Plaza wont comp certain brands that other casinos do it can become an issue. Again, we were taken care of so no complaints but I can see an issue where someone gets a comp at say the Nugget and then comes to the Plaza and are told they don’t comp that brand.

Swinger’s Club - a new bar in the Plaza offering nightly live entertainment and min golf. This place is a blast and is pretty lively and busy most nights. Most nights starting around 9PM they have duelling pianos and it’s a lot of fun with crowd participation etc. Also most nights they have live bands and happy hour from 6PM-9PM. During happy hour the bands are very entertaining and the drinks cheap (i.e. 50 cent draft beers). We visited a number of times and had a great time each time. Note to Plaza, I think they should promote the 6-9PM bands more as we didn’t even know about them. We just went in one night at 6 or so and lo and behold there was a live band playing. Other people we met and had drinks with were not aware of the live bands either. All in all a fun place to be and great to have a place you can do some partying and dancing and have a break from gambling.

Staff - in my opinion the staff at the Plaza has always been, and remains, one of their best features. The staff overall are friendly, provide great service and do their utmost to ensure you have a good time and enjoyable visit to the Plaza. We’ve been to Vegas many many times and have been to pretty much all the casinos and to us the Plaza’s staff is second to none. One word of advice. If you experience any problems at the Plaza, whether it be with the rooms, beverage services, gaming, whatever, make sure you speak to a staff member about it. Don’t just grumble and complain to your friends, bring you concern to the attention of a staff member. They cant read minds and cant do anything to resolve your issue if you don’t bring it to their attention. When you do, in our experience, they are quick to deal with it and resolve it for you if they can. Also Casino Services/hosts are simply outstanding and will do whatever they can to satisfy you, particularly for regular/returning customers.

Comps/Players Club - The Plaza’s comp system is simply one of the best, if not the best, in LV. You don’t have to be a high roller to take advantage of the Plaza’s comp system. Obviously the more you play the better the comps, but I’ve yet to find a more overall rewarding comp system than the Plaza’s.

Security - one improvement we really noticed over past trips to the Plaza is the increased security and it’s a good thing. In the past, because of the downtown location, the Plaza seemed to attract some undesirables (i.e. con artists, riff raff etc.), but that is no longer the case. Security now patrols all entrances 24/7 and weeds out undesirables. In our 7 day stay we did not have one bad experience in this area, nor experience any such people. Its obvious the Plaza’s efforts are working and it is a much cleaner, safer atmosphere than before. They also have security 24/7 at all hotel entrances and you must show your room key to gain access to the hotel. Again I love this idea and it just adds to the overall safety of guests.

Overall - we highly recommend the Plaza. The rooms and casino itself look much nicer than in the past. The staff is friendly and efficient. The restaurants are very good and reasonably priced. We love the new swingers club and the live entertainment it offers. The overall comp system is very good. Our one issue of concern is the drink comps (i.e. certain drinks no longer being comped). The atmosphere is laid back and fun. The Plaza is a great and fun place to be in LV and its tough to find a better overall value.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Vegaslovers777
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I was excited to see all the new renovation they did. They were closed for a year (thank God!) to remodel the place. The make over is nice but still very awkward room layout for the bathroom especially! Tiny tiny closet (just a bar with 6 hangers!). Bed was great, new carpets, paint. The decoy is nice as well.
BUT....there is NO ice! They told me after I searched for a 1/2 hour going to other floors trying to find an ice machine. I finely called & asked where the ice was. She kindly told me I could come down to the lobby, walk through the casino & get a free bucket of ice. HOW KIND! I was now in my PJs & wanted to enjoy a lively spirit. I did not want to walk through a casino for a bucket of ice. I was told if I didn't want to do that I could call room service. Okay, goo I thought. I called & they informed me it was $2 for ice! SHEESH! so, not happy about that. I would have felt better if they told me at check in & if the bellman had offered to get a bucket of ice for me after I tipped him generously.
But the view was great, location is great (if you want to stay down town which I prefer after years of staying on the strip). The price is right as well. But ask them about ice before you settle into your room. Over all I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: ask for Fremont view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the hotel from November 1-5. I couldn't wear some of my clothes because there was not iron in the room. There was not hair drier and the quality Of the products such as shampoo was very cheap. My skin got very dry from the soap. The room didn't get clean for 2 days. One day I understood we didn't leave the room till the afternoon but next day we left very early and still didn't get clean. One morning I ordered breakfast and I could not believe it was packed like it came from a fast food restaurant. I tried calling the front desk 3 times and phone was busy. This is not the first time that we went to Vegas and I know there are better hotels for the price of Plaza Hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
Detroit, MI
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I cancelled my reservation at my usual downtown Vegas hotel, the El Cortez, so that I could give the newly renovated Plaza a try, paid about $50 a night for a standard room.

I was pleased with my room and my stay overall--my room was big, new, clean, and stylish. I didn't experience the problems that some other reviewers had--everything worked fine, there was soap and shampoo, I requested an iron and hair dryer and got them promptly, etc. There was a smell to the place, but I’m pretty sure it was the brand-new carpet.

Here’s the thing about the Plaza: It has some really nice furniture and fixtures. And I think that leads people to expect 4-star service and amenities. But the Plaza is not a 4-star hotel, it’s a middle-of-the-road place that lucked into some really nice stuff from the Fontainebleau. So. You get a stylish room but have to put up with a few rough edges.

For example, the bathrooms have very pretty vanities, but they seem a little out of place in the Plaza's small, 70s era bathroom layout. They put really nice tile in the bathtub area, but then put in cheap lighting that doesn't do it justice. The bedside lamps are nice to look at, but don't have switches, so the only way to turn them on and off is to unscrew the lightbulb. If you can live with little things like this, the Plaza is a good value.

One nitpick: the pillows are terrible. I'm sure they were chosen because they look nice on the bed, but they are too big and too firm. I had to use towels as pillows, sort of disappointing.
If noise is a concern for you, you'll want to be careful where you stay. I stayed on the front of the South Tower room that was perpendicular to Fremont Street. I could hear the band on Fremont street from my room, louder than I would have liked but not a big problem and I’m picky about noise. I would guess that the "Fremont Street View" rooms in the main tower are much louder, I would not want to stay in one. I would ask for a room on the back of the south tower or the main tower if noise is a concern.

About the pool: it's open but not remodeled or heated as of early October. It's fine if you just want a basic pool, but don't expect anything spectacular.

If you want a pool and can find a good deal at the Plaza, it’s a good value. You get a nice room (nicer than the Carson Tower at the Golden Nugget) for not a lot of money, and you get a pool. The pool, dining options, and other facilities are nowhere near as nice as the Golden Nugget though.

If you don’t need a pool, I recommend the El Cortez. The tower rooms are not quite as stylish, but they are just as big and clean, they have better quality (if not as trendy) furniture, they are usually cheaper than the Plaza, and they often have a view of the strip. Also, the El Cortez has better dining options and a better casino, it draws a less obnoxious crowd, and I actually prefer its location a block away from the canopy.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo