“Mirage can't turn the clock back, but remains a solid 2nd-tier choice.”

The Mirage Hotel & Casino
Ranked #43 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas
“Mirage can't turn the clock back, but remains a solid 2nd-tier choice.”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Back in 1988, excitement on The Strip was erupting out of the amazing Volcano framed by Steve Wynn's new Super Resort. Well, obviously we've all aged since then, and unfortunately (for some of these early ground-breakers) so has The Strip, as the latest entries have raised the bar to heights that no H.W. Bush-era property can hope to reach. With our latest Vegas rotation having cycled through the Wynn, Encore, Palazzo, Bellagio (slipping), Venetian and THEHotel, our one night at the Mirage (elected out of simplicity due to Show tickets there that evening) was initially a bit if a letdown, but really only by relative measures (compared to the aforementioned.) Initial impressions took a bit of hit, thanks to the chaotic main pathways through the Casino in order to get to the Check-in line...a serpentine TSA-like experience where we slowly moved along behind a group of six young men with backpacks for luggage, each of whom as they shuffled forward were literally kicking along the floor in front of themselves their own personal case of beer that they had picked up along the way (sans the cans missing from the torn-open boxes during the wait.) Kudos to the Mirage Line-Steward whom smilingly picked up each case for each "Gentleman" as they reached the front of the line. Kind of auspicious, but what are the chances they would be on our floor? (They were not.) As mentioned by others, the taxi-cab Christmas-Tree air-freshener that is piped throughout the property was off-putting (though not quite to the nauseating level) and it did seem to do its job of covering up the smoke odor....so, well-played by the Mirage, as "What are you going to do?" Check-in itself was painless from there, and yes, the walk to the room and across the property is an excursion, but where isn't that case? The Rooms: quite an interesting juxtaposition...a really nice, large, clean, well decorated and obviously recently renovated space, attached to the smallest Motel-6 bathroom I've ever seen in Las Vegas. Go figure. As far as food and drink, early evening pre-show drinks at Stack, and then post-show dinner in the bar at same were very pleasant, with good food and great energy in abundance. We cancelled our reservation at Samba (the recommended steakhouse) as although Tripadvisor reviews were generally positive, those written specifically by Dallas-based guests (from which we hail) each pointed out that this Brazilian Steakhouse paled greatly in comparison to the several local stalwarts we all frequent. Therefore, Stack it is! The casino was sampled from midnight to 3:00am, and I had a unique experience while sitting at first-base at a Blackjack table, as although luck (personally) was running quite high and the chips were piling-up, the ballcap-and-t-shirt player in the last seat felt compelled to openly criticize several of my hand selections (honed over 35 years of play btw), as apparently he felt that they must be the reason his cupboard was bare and my cup overflowed. I guess he didn't enjoy my ignorance of his complaint either (difficult to see him over all the chips) because it culminated in an invitation being proffered by him to meet me outside in the parking lot (yes, a first.) Oh well...tensions can run high under the tremendous pressure of the high-stakes of the $25 tables (tongue firmly in cheek here.) As far as staffing, we found everyone from the front-desk to the restaurants to the casino to be professional and above reproach. Again, well done Mirage. In summary, your overall interpretation of your experience at the Mirage will be weighted greatly according to your expectations. As a move from the Monte Carlo, Luxor, New York, Harrah's et. al ...you're there...the big time...enjoy! As far as competing with the new standards set by the Mandarin and a few others, the Mirage just can't get there, but that's OK. It is what it is, and it's not bad.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jason G, Director of Guest Relations at The Mirage Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your recent Mirage trip. I really appreciate all the feedback and comments provided in your review. Your feedback is extremely valuable because it assists us to improve our hotel and amenities. I am thrilled that you were able to enjoy Stack. I do apologize for the unique experience you had with the other guest at the Blackjack table. We should not have allowed the conversation to accelerate to that level. If you would like to share more about your stay, please do not hesitate to email me at Tripadvisor@mirage.com. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,422)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I, aged 29 and 30, stayed here from 18th - 26th June and absolutely loved it.

The hotel is busy but so are the majority of the hotels in Vegas.

We booked the trip through Trailfinders travel agents in Edinburgh. This was a delayed honeymoon for ourselves. My wife had contacted the hotel via email prior to travelling to see if we could chance an upgrade and to our amazement the staff upgraded us to a strip / volcano view room which was amazing to look out everyday. The room was very big and clean. The maids do a very good job here.

The hotel is ideally located midway on the strip, right next door to the Forum at Caesars, which is excellent for shopping. There is also a small shopping area within the hotel which was fairly decent, with a variety of shops available. My wife particularly loved the Kardashian store, god help her!! Blizz ice cream is a 100% must as well!!

The gym facilities are fairly impressive for those wanting to use them, and is free to guests.

The pool area is pretty decent and quite lively. My only criticism is, however, is that all the sunbeds are all bunched up extremely close together, meaning if your sitting next to the annoying family you haven't got much room to hide. The area is also very busy but we enjoyed it. Waitresses are also on hand to come and take drinks orders at the sunbeds which saves going to the bar.

There is a private pool area for adults called Bare which costs $30 for men and $10 for women to get into. We did consider it one day, however, when we saw the type of clientele leaving on one occasion (look-at-me-I'm-beautiful-and-obnoxious types - which there is a lot of in Vegas, coupled with a days alcohol in them), we were glad to avoid it and just sit by the main pool.

The hotel also boasts several restaurants, including deli, pizza, burger, Chinese, Brazilian, steak and a buffet. We ate at a couple and were fairly impressed. The breakfast buffet was good, however, it is the same stuff every morning so if your looking for something a little different just try one of the other hotels.

The staff could not be faulted at The Mirage. They were very polite and helpful and at no time were we made to feel like we bothered them whenever we had a request.

There is a nightclub within the hotel but you cannot hear the noise from it, we'll at least we didn't from the 25th floor. We went once and were impressed but again it did get fairly busy.

An absolute must for any guest staying to book is The Beatles Love show by Cirque du Soliel, as it takes place within the hotel. There is a reward card, M-Life, available to guests for free which is kind of like a Tesco club card. If you sign up to this, you get 30% off tickets for the show which is an added bonus.

If you wanted to, you could quite literally not have to bother leaving the hotel as there were so many facilities on site.

Having seen a couple of the other hotels on our trip, most appear to be very similar in terms of the facilities they offer. Each one just has a different theme. However, we thought The Mirage was ideal for us and would absolutely 110% stay there again.

Thank you for a great stay, if I could I'd be back there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank cgs1983
Wow! I am ecstatic to hear you and your wife had an amazing stay! Congratulations on your nuptials! Thank you for choosing The Mirage to celebrate your special occasion. I also, appreciate your comments and praise of our hotel staff. If you would like to share any additional comments, please email me at Tripadvisor@mirage.com. Hope to see you again for your next anniversary, or possible sooner. 
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at the Mirage our last 3 visits to Vegas, staying in Resort & Hospitality Suites. This last trip we booked a Hospitality Suite, and on checking into the room found it to be a disappointment. There maybe updated rooms but this one was looking "worn" and dated, and looking round the room noted the "spa tub" had a constant trickle running and wouldn't be turned off. Asked the desk (which gave wonderful, friendly service) if another was available, but there wasn't one. They gave us a reasonable rate for an upgrade and we took a one bedroom penthouse suite. These are TERRIFIC! We'd give those a "5" rating. Staff is friendly, room service is slow, and IF you want a drink while your on the floor (other than at a table game) Good Luck on having a Server come to you!! Carneige Deli, BLT burger, and California Pizza are overrated compared to other MGM properties. Carvings Buffet was inconsistent this visit, with the more popular items empty most of the time. Roasted Bean has kept it's quality of service and product up to standard. We went off property for most meals. If our rating seems high compared to comments; tried to be fair by considering our first 2 visits into the rating. This visit was more like a 2.5, with the suite being the exception to the low score. Having been a guest of the various other MGM/Mirage properties, may wait for a "renovation" before staying at Mirage again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We booked a room at the Mirage mostly because we wanted to see the Beatles Love show by Cirque Du Soleil, and that show is excellent! We arrived around 4 pm on a Saturday, and the line to check in reminded me of Disney World, very long wait. The hotel complex is very beautiful with lots of restaurant and shopping choices, but again, get ready for long waits in line. Our room was gorgeous with lots of marble and granite, a stocked fridge and pretty furniture. I only called the desk once to try to request a wake up call but was put on hold for a long time and then hung up on. I like having more electrical outlets accessible, there was one by the bed but it was obstructed by wood paneling. Overall this is a very nice place, needs a bit of work on service. On checkout they tried to charge us a $25 resort fee for a fitness center we had not had time to see, much less use. They did take the charge off when we asked.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate your comments about your recent Mirage trip. I will be sure to forward them to our Front Desk Management Team to address your concerns on the long lines and phone service. I am happy your were able to experience the Beatles LOVE by Cirque Du Soleil. Honestly, I am not the biggest Beatles fan, BUT I LOVE the show! If you have more feedback you would like to share, please email me at Tripadvisor@mirage.com. Thank you for the review.
Saint Louis, Missouri, Usa
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had a great time Weather was ok 105 degrees but we enjoyed the Mirage pool service and the water was great to cool off in. Service at the pool was excellent also Mirage is excellent location on the strip and the rooms are so clean. Everything at the Mirage is incedible. We always go back to Mirage whenever we go to Las Vegas.

Room Tip: clean and maid service very good
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Woohoo for another excellent Mirage stay!!! Thank you for always choosing The Mirage for your Las Vegas trips! Thank you for your compliments about your pool and staff, I will forward your comments to our Pool Manager. If you would like to share more about your experiences, please do not hesitate to email me at Tripadvisor@mirage.com. See you again soon!
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The mirage is ideal for location on the strip, only problem we had was that we had to wait 3hrs before we could check in as the rooms were not ready . Eventually had our room at 6pm but they did upgrade us to a strip view . Pool is fantastic. Hotel is average, would stay here again due to location

Room Tip: 11th floor, strip view okay but would be better on higher floor, as you also get a really good view...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and recommendation. I apologize for the delay in the check-in process but am happy to hear we were able to upgrade you to a Strip view. I would like to hear more about your Mirage experience, please email me at Tripadvisor@mirage.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Went there as part of a trip to celebrate my engagement. When my fiance and I arrived we got a nice upgrade (50 bucks/night) to a 700 sq.feet room. The room was ready only 3 hours after we checked in, not the 30-40' they told us, and we were sent to the wrong room...
We are still waiting for our complementary gifts we were told we would get.
The room was great, the only downsides were the fact that the tv cupboard was not working properly and the view we got (we got a bad view because, as I said, this way the room would be ready in less than an hour!). The bathtub is great, the amenities were nice. The king size bed was wonderful.
Conciergerie was helpful and helped us save on Cirque du Soleil tickets telling us to try it at the theaters just before the show (they could have pushed us for 50% more).
The casino has a unusual smell of cigars and vanilla.

Room Tip: ask for upgrades at checkin
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple