“They really are changing everything - in a good way!”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #100 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“They really are changing everything - in a good way!”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

The Tropicana had such a bad reputation that I had never stepped foot in there before my recent trip (August 26-30), despite having stayed on the strip about a dozen times. Their new marketing showcasing the much needed renovations is what changed my mind.

The group: I think it's always helpful to know what kind of people are writing the review so you know what our expectations/needs were. We are laid-back late-20-something professionals from the midwest, somewhat low rollers (we like $5 blackjack). Four of us had just been in Vegas in February, staying at the Aria. One other had stayed at the Encore the last trip, and the other was a Vegas virgin. All of us understood that we were taking a step down staying at the Trop, so we had certainly adjusted our expectations.

The hotel generally: the renovations look great. There was usually somenoe at the door to open the doors for you, always with a smile and a hello. Once you walk in through the newly done entrance, the airy, light casino floor opens up. After staying at the Aria my last trip (I know, quite a different type of resort!), the big thing I noticed was how bright everything is at the Trop. The renovations are ongoing but mostly out of sight - there are temporary walls erected around the casino so you don't have to see the men at work. There is a slight coconut scent in the entrance area - one out of the six of us did not like it, I liked it a lot, and the other four did not mind it much. Definitely not as overpowering and offensive as the scent in the Venetian.

The rooms: We had three rooms - two in the Paradise tower and one in the Island tower. All the rooms we had were newly renovated. I'd say the rooms are solidly 3.5 star rooms. Everything is clean, and, like the hotel, airy and light. The 42" plasma TVs have HD channels, which is not always the case for a lot of the 3 to 4 star hotels on the strip. Toiletries were adequate - your standard shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, lotion and soap. They were scented with a coconut scent to go with the general motif of the hotel - again, I found it very pleasant, but one friend thought it was tacky. The bed was very comfortable. I understand the complaints people have with the shutters. They definitely do not block out all the light. I personally didn't mind because I woke up around 7:30am anyway, but I can see that if you're a light sleeper, you might not like it. None of the people in my party seemed to have trouble sleeping well into late morning, however. One bonus was that you are able to open the windows just a crack, to let some fresh air in.

Island Tower vs. Paradise Tower: The rooms are essentially identical, but I think if I were to go back, I would stay at the Paradise Tower - it's very close to the casino floor and the entrance. In fact, it's so close to the entrance that I realized that the MGM Grand casino floor is closer to get to for someone staying at the Tropicana Paradise Tower than for some of the folks staying at the MGM Grand! However, the Island Tower would be very nice for people who want to use the pool - the elevator takes you basically right up to the pool. Which brings us to...

The pool: I read in a review that the Trop has the best resort rate to pool quality ratio, and I have to agree with that. The pool is relaxing and unassuming - an "ultrapool" it was not, and that's a good thing. About 1/3 or so of the pool area was closed for renovation, but we were always able to get 4 chairs together (2 of our friends weren't much for the pool) and they always kept the free water filled (one was cucumber infused, one was lime infused). Drinks were a little overpriced - we did not order drinks after the first day.

The gym: there is a small gym near the pool area. It was hardly used but had all the basic equipment you need - treadmills, a few machines, a variety of freeweights. Not great but, hey, it's free.

The casino: The casino was very small, although I didn't mind that much, since I only play at one table at any given time anyway! Plus it made it easy for us to say "meet at the blackjack tables". As of last week, there were about a dozen tables open and a bunch of slot machines, but I understand that another renovated section of the casino is opening soon. I appreciated the fact that there was 3:2 $5 blackjack basically all the time. Swim-up blackjack was also pretty fun - a little gimmicky (you basically just sit in about 3 ft of water while you play) but fun for an hour or two. The casino never felt super exciting, even when it got fairly busy, probably because it was so small.

The restaurants: There were 4 restaurants when I visited, including the steakhouse which had just opened. We tried all but the steakhouse. Bacio is the mid-range Italian restaurant. We had pasta dishes, pizza and salad among us. The portions are huge (2 or 3 people could probably have split the spaghetti) and quality is decent enough for the price range ($11-16 entrees). The Havanna Cafe was a good cheap option - cheap but not poor quality, mind you. My girlfriend said the veggie reuben was probably the best that she's ever had. The South Beach deli is open 24 hours and very mediocre - I would not recommend it unless you just need a quick bite at late hour. We also had coffee from the Starbucks kiosk near the conference center area - the coffee was not burnt, so that's always a plus (I noticed that a lot of coffee kiosks on the Strip burn their coffee by keeping the coffee on too long).

Complaints: I do have a couple of minor complaints. First, there was a timeshare scamster set up as an "information" desk right near the check-in on the casino floor. Very tacky. I walked away saying I just want to go to the room, so you would think they would've taken a hint, but when I came back down to the casino area they tried to talk to me again ("all settled in?" etc). Second, more minor complaint: there were two conventions while we stayed, some kind of kids' martial arts convention and a kids' dance competition. That filled the hotel up with a lot of families, some with unruly kids. I understand it might be good business to get those conventions in there but THE reason I don't stay at the Excalibur is because of all the unruly kids - it'd be nice to phase out the family events. Lastly: there was almost no shopping to be done. I understand that part of the renovations includes putting in new shopping, though, and it's certainly not a priority for me.

Final words: I enjoyed the Trop immensely. I had low, low expectations, which were certainly exceeded and then some. For the price, I don't think you can get much better than the Trop right now on the strip, in terms of hotel/room/pool quality and location. And the renovations keep going! I'd be very curious to see what the Garden rooms look like after the renovations - it would be awesome if they were as nice as the Island and Paradise rooms, and they keep the balconies. I also would love to return when the Nikki Beach stuff is done.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,689)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
columbia, sc
Reviewed August 30, 2010

When we pulled up to the Tropicana we were promply greeted by the bellman. He was incredibly friendly and patiently answered the billion questions we had for him! In our conversation, he told us stories of famous people who had come through the tropicana throughout the years (neil armstrong, alan shephard, etc). Declaring the place the old "Tiffany's" of the strip, we couldn't wait to stay in a place with such a neat history.

When we walked in the front door, I was suprised by the look and feel of the casino. It was very bright! The clean white floor tiles and stained glass ceiling made the atmosphere feel fresh and clean. It is a very classy place to stay. It is very different from the mega resorts in vegas!

The woman who checked us in was also very friendly and helpful. We felt like we were home! When the bellman brought our luggage to our room, he was very helpful. He made sure we had everything we needed; he even offered to fill our ice bucket!

We stayed in a room in the newly refinished paradise tower. The room was very spacious and had a breathtaking view of the strip! The room had large flat screen TV's, free wireless internet access, and bathrobes! The bed was AWESOME! Very comfortable! We felt like we were sleeping on a cloud! The bathroom was very large and clean; the water pressure was great! They even had an iphone radio charger (we loved this little detail).

There are a few places to eat at the tropicana. We loved the 24 hour cafe. They served boars head meat on their sandwiches (my favorite). Everything was priced very reasonably! The other cafe there was open in the morning....they served starbucks coffee and had krispy kremes!

The pool area was amazing! I was so happy to see that they had grassy areas and trees for shade! The lounge chairs were lined with comfortable pads; the pool staff kept everything very clean and in pristine condition! There was even a man that went around drying the area around the pool to keep people from slipping in the puddles. They paid a lot of attention to detail!

We can't wait to visit this place again next year! We were very happy with the atmosphere, the friendly staff, and the classy feel of this casino! The staff made this place so special. Their friendly attitudes made us feel at home!

A special "Thank you" to the security man Brian. We loved chatting with you! Thank you for being so nice and helpful!

2 Thank webb2010
TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review, we really appreciate the feedback. We do pride ourselves on our ability to offer the best service and I am glad you were able to experience that. I will also ensure that Brian in Security sees this review as well. When you visit again, I would love to personally assist you with your reservation. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We stayed @ the Tropicana 8/22/thru8/27 rooms were great service was great price was great.We were treated like KINGS&QUEENS .Had a really good time,I was a little disappointed that we did not see Brad Garrett,I did not realize that our BOGO tickets were for his theater and not him,still we were very happy with this hotel

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I apologize over any confusion for the Brad Garrett’s Comedy Club. The Club is owner by Brad Garrett and all featured comedians are hand picked by him. He also makes several appearances a month, which means on the days he is there you get three comedians and a bit longer of a show! Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 28, 2010

Stayed here on a special deal for 39.99 a night for the newly renovated Paradise Tower. Beds were lovely, room very modern and lots of extra amenities to enjoy.....Huge flat screen TV, am/fm radio alarm with I pod docking pads,large bathroom with ample counter space, full size closet with nice mirrors.......Airconditioning was great and muchly needed as every day was in the 100's! yikes......Pool area was very clean and well landscaped. Pool meandered around property and had lots of chaise lounges and even a swim up black jack table.All in all visit here was very nice, and for the small price we paid it was a steal. All employees were so nice and were available to cater to our every desire. Excellent bell staff gave us good recommendations for breakfast, and concierge was very helpful with maps of the strip, info on out of town adventures and more... Only drawback was location, down at south end of strip , not really centrally located to every thing on the strip, but with the monorail and taxis you really aren't too far from where you want to go........Check this place out now while they are running such great deals or in the spring as they are changing up there pool area to be a South beach area with lots of cabanas and it looks like a great place for a pool party. Resort fee of 9.99 added to each night but well worth the extra amount to stay here....Great night view of the strip with all the lifghts! We stayed on 11th floor

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you had a wonderful stay and hope to see you on your next visit. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Montevallo, Alabama
Reviewed August 27, 2010

with some trepidation I booked my upcoming trip to the famous "Trop" based on price and proximity only. my fears were based on previous experiences(old outdated decor/a really bad dining experience, it felt like a trip to the old folks $5.99 cafes but the prices were higher/ gambling while being accosted by street walkers/ and being crowded into a show where the costumes looked very worn and the performers jaded. after reading these reviews I am again excited to be coming to the "Trop". your responses to patrons is encouraging and their enthusiasm has lifted my spirits in anticipation of my stay there. I look forward to posting my stay experiences in a like positive manner.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing our property as your Birthday destination. If there is anything that I can assist you with, please feel free to contact me directly. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 27, 2010

Went for a weekend trip and booked Tropicana last minute because it was the best value on the strip. Was a little worried because my previous experience at Tropicana 5+ yrs ago was poor. This time it was wonderful! Stayed in a remodled room in the Paradise tower and the rooms are gorgeous! On par with hotels like Monte Carlo, Luxor, Rio. Loved it and will be staying again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Christiansted, St. Croix
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I stayed at the Trop 9 years ago, and I must say that true to their word, they've changed EVERYTHING. Gone are the annoying vendors on the bridge between towers, the cheesy Miami Vice attire for staff, the '80s idea of "tropical" decor, and the general cheap look of the hotel. What stayed? The AMAZING staff, some of which have been there nearly (or over) 20 years. This is a major recipe for success as far as I am concerned, since those people who helped us--from Bellmen to front desk personnel and everyone in between--were incredibly sweet, helpful and totally seasoned. After spending the first night in a room with an airport view, I kindly requested to move to a more appealing room with a better view, since this was my husband's first time in Las Vegas. Kimberlee quickly obliged with a smile, reserving us a room which would be ready in the early afternoon in the Paradise tower with a much better view at no additional charge. That's right folks, free upgrade! When it was time for us to move, my husband was busy in a poker tournament and so Chuy came to move our things from one room to the other. He was super friendly, and his service level again, was out of this world, right down to setting up our suitcase on a luggage rack in the new room. While we were there, we decided to eat at the South Beach Cafe, which is open 24 hours for room service as well. A really nice staff member there let us in on a little secret that is the $8 coffee tumbler. This got us free coffee for the entire time we stayed there, which is a HUGE savings with the way we drink coffee! We ate there several times for a few reasons: 1. It's SUPER cheap, compared to the other options out there. 2. The portions are HUGE, so hubby & I were able to split our meals. 3. The food is AMAZING! 4. They're FAST.
We made our way down to the pool a couple times to take a quick dip and cool off from the hot desert sun, but this isn't finished yet. The open pool was far less exciting than the old one, but I have to give them a break here since the remodel won't be complete until next year. I will say that it was fairly large, not crowded, good temperature & had REALLY comfy lounge chairs. The swim-up blackjack tables were closed both times we were there, which kind of bummed me out, but other than that, it definitely got the job done.
The location of this hotel was also perfect for us, since we stayed primarily on the south end of the Strip anyway. Although, even if you plan to venture further north on the strip, transportation options are abundant and easily accessible. The monorail is quite close at the MGM next door, and the Deuce has a stop right out front of the hotel.
Overall, the Tropicana WELL-exceeded any expectations I had going into this trip, as I was just hoping for a bargain hotel and wasn't expecting any great service or luxury experience. We chose the Trop simply because it was a cheap bed for the night that was close to the action. We got WAY more than I ever expected, and I was pleasantly surprised! Thank you to the staff at the Tropicana for making my husband's first visit to Las Vegas unforgettable, in the best possible way!

1 Thank BargainBri