“Underwhelmed but Satisfied”

Ranked #97 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
anchorage alaska
“Underwhelmed but Satisfied”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

My husband and I got a good deal for the Paradise room at the Tropicana ($63 NOT including resort fee of $9.99). They actually put us in the Island Tower which was fine since they had completed the remodel of that tower 2 week prior.

The two best things about this hotel are :
1. Location. Easy walk to monorail or any other section of the always busy Strip.
2. The bed. Seriously. Best. Bed. EVER. This is what set it apart from let's say South Point Hotel and Casino who has all the same amenities as the just upgraded Tropicana but the location sucks and the beds are hard. I know a lot have raved about the rooms being "stunning" but to me it was just neat and clean and with all the amenities that everyone else has listed...not a whole lot of character to it.

The casino is small. The pool seemed small and with the construction, it got a little crowded since they are working on the Nikki Beach section. However, construction itself never was a problem for us. We never heard it early in the morning and weren't tripping over tools and equipment during the day. Note that the pool closes at 7pm.

Staff was friendly enough and let us do a late checkout of 2pm which was nice. There is WiFi in the rooms but I could never get mine linked up and in reality didn't pursue it much since there is way better things to do than sit around figuring out internet.

All in all a pleasant stay. Perhaps my exceptions were really high from all the glowing reviews but the Tropiana's upgrades are great and make it a good deal for on the Strip.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Our casino is a boutique sized casino, which enables us to create a better and more personal gaming experience for our guests but still have all your favorite games. I also apologize that our pool seemed smaller then normal. The main pool and garden area is 100% open, however the adult pool and garden area is closed. This still gives us more than 2 acres of pool excitement. I hope you will come back later this year to see the completion of the transformation! Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,645)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

I wanted to stay somewhere in Vegas that wasn't too expensive and where I'd have a nice room. I came across recent reviews and pictures of the Trop and decided to give it a shot. I wasn't disappointed. I had booked an Island Tower room but was upgraded to a 20th floor strip view Paradise Tower room when I told the friendly front desk agent we were there to celebrate my birthday and had a very long day getting there thanks to the airline. There were literally no lines at check in.

The room was spotless. It was a smoking room but I couldn't tell other than the ashtray and matches in the bathroom. It felt like we were the first people to stay there. The 42" HDTV was incredible. The bed and sheets were beyond comfortable and on most nights I slept great, however the walls are incredibly thin. Our second night there our neighbors had a raging party and it sounded like there were 30 people in the room. I realize this is Vegas so I didn't raise a stink and luckily I was so exhausted from my day I fell asleep again in the middle of the festivities. The next day I could literally hear every word of one guy's phone conversation in the same room. The other problem with the room is the blinds on the windows let in an incredible amount of light in the morning, despite the fact that I had them completely closed. It woke me up every day and it was tough to get back to sleep. I think they could easily install curtiains in front of the windows and blinds to correct this. The bathroom was nice, but I think with the upgrades they could have done more. The tub and shower were standard and I would have preferred a stall shower similar to what Mandalay Bay has. The sink area was great.

The maids did a good job cleaning up but for some reason didn't like replacing our soap. Twice during our stay they took the bar of soap that we had just opened and didn't replace it. They also didn't replace our bath mat one day and we had to use a towel instead.

I can't comment on the pool because we never used it. I wish we could have but it was over 110 degrees and the thought of lying out in that heat wasn't appealing to me. It looked great though, and the lounge chairs looked really nice as well.

In visiting the other casinos on the strip you get the idea of how tiny the Trop is compared to everything else. This was both a good and bad thing. It was great because I literally had to walk a few feet to the elevators after checking in and when coming back from being out all day. The down side is that there really isn't anything going on at the Trop at this time. I know they're renovating but there are hardly any dining options or stores to check out. Other than the comedy club there aren't any shows, and the casino was tiny and due to the renovations it's kind of scattered. There are slots thrown here and there without any organization. The location of the Trop is ok, but be prepared to walk or take a cab to the heart of the strip. The walking was rough in the heat and cab prices added up very fast.

As others have stated, the service is very friendly. We were greeted by everyone we passed and when we asked a maid in a hall for some soap, we were gladly given several bars. I think once the renovations are done and with a few tweaks of the rooms, it will be a great place to stay and an awesome value.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate the time you took. I am glad the room more than met your expectations but apologize the shutters created an issue with light. I will ensure this, as well as your bathroom suggestions, are brought up. I know at times the shutters appear completely closed when they are not, which may lad to problems with morning light. I recommend running your hand on them to ensure they are closed all the way. I apologize for the feeling of the lack of entertainment. In the next few months we will have some exciting goings on that will be well worth the wait. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Spanish Fork, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

We spent the night of August 15th, 2010 at the Tropicana in Las Vegas. We had reserved it for two nights, but we bailed out after the first night. The room was supposed to be non-smoking; however, it smelled like a bunch of chain smokers had been living in the room. What a stench. It was 111 degrees that day. We were anxious to spend a couple of relaxing days at the pool with our kids. As soon as we arrived at the pool, somebody threw up in the pool and it was closed for the rest of the day. So there we were, stuck in the stinking room while it was 111 degrees outside. Sleeping at night became impossible because the terrible air conditioning system could NOT keep up with the hot temperature. I spent most of the night tossing and turning. In the morning, we quickly checked out and checked in at the Flamingo. Now, that was incredible. We loved the water falls at the pool, and we spent hours playing there. There were lots of kids and families. Next time, straight to the Flamingo.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank cmerighe
Thank you for your review and I apologize that your visit did not meet your expectations. I apologize that your room was not the smoking preference you had requested and the A/C was not as strong as you would have liked. We try to ensure that we grant every request for a specific room type, however rooms are assigned at check in based on availability. Please feel free to always contact the Front Desk if you are not 110% satisfied with your room so they can assist you right away. I also apologize that the pool was closed due to a guest getting sick in it. We take safety very seriously and did need to close the pool until it was properly cleaned and back to normal levels. This can take a few hours due to the size of the pool. I hope that you will consider this to be an isolated incident and not our intended levels of service and will allow me to personally attend to your next visit. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

We got an awesome deal on LasVegas.com on this hotel. We paid half of what the hotel would of charged us! so shop around! We were automatically upgraded to a renovated room in the Island Tower. The room was spacious and the beds were so comfortable that I am still dreaming of them! I am even thinking of purchasing one. GO to Serta Hotel Mattresses online. The hotel is still being renovated but it did not inconvenience us in any way and it was very clean. The hotel is also quieter and not quite as exciting as the others but it will be interesting to see how it will be after the renovations. All the major casinos are within walking distance. We were told check in was at noon but they let us go up at 11:30. They also said check out was at 11 but they let you stay until noon. NICE! The pool was clean and we had no problem getting a drink.. We had to show our room key to get a towel and we didn't notice any outsiders coming in. Great time overall!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

Checked in at 9pm...at the Tropicana...no one at the door to assist you or even hold the doors open...Lines were long...but we were invited guests - so we went to a different line...Had seen the hotel a few months ago was being upgraded, so thought we would stay there for a few days...checked into our room, which was newly done over - decor - ok...definitely an improvement. We went downstairs to eat and when we returned to our room - our bathroom was a mess ! Water backed up into the tub and all over the walls in the tub area - like mud sticking to the walls and the bathroom sink - called the front desk and waited over 30 minutes - finally called again and asked to be transferred to another room - which they did within 20 minutes...comfortable room

Toured the pool in the morning, staff at the pool did not check hotel key - anyone can walk into the pool area...pool needed cleaning...that was enough for us ! we left !!!!!

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank janjanBoston
TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
Thank you for your feedback and I apologize your July stay did not meet your expectations. We have corrected the small plumbing issue and hope you consider this an isolated incident and not our intended levels of service. We do allow non-hotel guests to enjoy our pool, which is why we do not require a room key check. Our 4.2 acres of pool/gardens does allow us enough space to be able to cater to a great number of guests, however we do always ensure hotel guests are taken care of first. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

I arrived in Las Vegas from Detroit, MI On Monday, August 9th before 9 AM. Took a shuttle to the Tropicana where Doug checked me in. My room was not ready (check in time is 3 PM) but he permitted me to put my bags in the room I was assigned and expedited the cleaning of my room so it was available to me by 10:30AM! How's that for good customer service?

My room was lovely and I almost felt guilty realizing how ridiciulously little my friend had paid for the it (I was in the Island Tower). I look forward to returning to Vegas and to the Trop in the not too distant future!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am glad we were able to allow for an early check in. I will ensure Doug sees this review as well. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Savage, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

I stayed in the Tropicana hotel In early August of 2009. The hotel was pretty nasty then but the pool was nice. In looking for a hotel for this summers visit, I looked into the Tropicana again. I noted that the Paradise tower had been completely remodeled in January of 2010. I noted the pictures of the renovated rooms and they looked pretty good. I decided to book a room for three nights. The end cost before resort fees was $160.00. Upon arriving the bellhop were nice and we tried to check in (9am) and unfortunately they sold out the night before so rooms would not be available until after noon or so which was not an issue as check in is at 3pm. Upon arriving to the room it looked new nice and fresh. The rooms, hallways and elevators were much nicer than last year. The bed was ridiculously comfortable. I am thinking of purchasing the same brand due to how nice it was. The AC was set to 60 degrees in the hotel and it stayed that way the whole time we were there. It was nice to come back to a comfortable hotel room after a days walking around.

One day we arrived back at the hotel at 3am in the morning. I decided to go alone into the casino to see what was happening. There were a few people around a craps table having a great time and the staff was into it and laughing along with everyone. I watched the craps table for about an hour. The rest of the casino (which is ridiculously small as compared to other casinos) had maybe 10 people on machines 10-20 people in the table area. I noted that there was a woman walking around that looked out of place. She seemed to have no direction except eyeing people. She was very skinny and very tall black woman dressed with minimal clothing. After she wandered around for a while there was a very built black man and a very skinny tall black woman wandering around in the same manner. It appeared that they didn't know where they were going and looked out of place. The first thing that came to my mind was a pimp and a prostitute. Giving the people the benefit of the doubt I shrugged the thought off. I walked around the slot machines for a while and noticed a third skinny tall black woman that again looked out of place. This woman had her arms around two obviously drunken looking white men in their 20's sitting at a couple of machines. It was obvious that she did not know them and was propositioning them for something. I try to give the people the benefit of the doubt as to what this woman was up to but there were too many factors that this person was out of place and trying soliciting something. I didn't see anyone of the staff members or security approach these people and ask what they were doing.

Besides that the only negatives were that one morning there were loud indistinguishable noises coming from the hallway or above floor like maintenance work.

I think I would recommend this hotel for its price and value but I will personally be staying somewhere to get a little atmosphere change and be closer to the middle of the strip and a hotel with a decent casino.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am very glad that you found the rooms, hallways and elevators to be so much better than last year. I appreciate the time you took for your detailed feedback on the "people out of place". We will look into this matter ASAP and ensure that it does not occur again. I hope you consider that to not be our intended quality of guests. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com