“Honeymoon Suite”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #98 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed March 7, 2010

We chose the Tropical gardens for our wedding.It featured a waterfall and a tropical atmosphere. The chapel was nestled about the plants above the pool area with great background scenes for our pictures.

Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
TropLV, Service Culture at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2010

Congratulations on your wedding and I am glad we were able to assist in making your special day a happy memory. We hope to see you on your first anniversary.

Reviewed March 5, 2010

There are good things and some bad things about the
Tropicana Hotel and Casino (The Trop).
1. First the good ... this hotel is at a great location with direct access to the MGM, NYNY, Excalibur--Lexor--Mandalay Bay (it is on an intersection with the overhead walkways and it is located right at the Northbound stop for the "Deuce", a dbl. decker bus that runs along the strip). Second, we were able to get a budgeted room rate. Third, the casino is a bit cheaper there ($5 blackjack) and reasonable paybacks on the slots.
2. Now the bad .. when we first arrived, we were given a shabby room in the garden wing (4000's). Our group requested a room upgrade in the "back" tower (Island Tower) which were much better with a nice view of the strip and a reasonably sized bathroom, though there could be at least one more lamp in the room for more light. Second, the walk from the casino/front door of the hotel to our room was LONG, not welcoming after a long walk touring the strip (or a bad night at the casino). Third, there are only two full service restaurants, an italian place (Bacio) and a steak joint (which was closed). For breakfast and lunch, there is only the deli. I think there is a buffet there but it was closed while we were there, (along with the pool area), for renovations Which brings up another point, while we were there, the Up escalator to get to the walkway for the island tower was closed so we would had to wait for the elevator. Fourth, the service is stuck up and cannot keep any reservations straight. Though they promised us a new room in the Island Tower,and gave us keys for it, the hotel forgot they had given us the new room and "sold" it to another party later that day. That night, we had an awful experience .. a person was trying to open our door at night with their key card (even if the room not over sold, he/she was probably drunk which is even more startling).. Furthermore, the key cards are very, very sensitive. The keys did not work the first morning and we had to have security come up to let us in. We were given new cards which worked the rest of the stay until 9 AM the day we checked out which was even more inconvenient since we had until 11 to check out and still had our stuff in the room. Finally, the hotel is the same block as the airport, great for a short taxi or shuttle ride, but not so great when we can hear the planes at night, let alone being in a room right next to the elevators.
Overall, the trop wasn't bad (not great) for the price and if it finally finishes its renovations, we might even stay there again, even just to experience the pool. We just hope this place would just simply abandon and completely redo the garden wings for what they are worth.. they are just simply outdated. If I wanted plain, I would have stayed at the travel lodge up the street (hey, thier sign .. that is the TravelLodge sign. is probably the only one on the strip not in neon).

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family

I am glad that you found our room rates and $5 (all day, every day) blackjack tables to be a great benefit. I do apologize, however, that you found the hotel facilities and food and beverage offerings to be lacking. We do have several new restaurants that will be opening this year as and the renovations will, among other things, include new doors and locks. We understand the sensitivity of the keys has been an issue and we are rectifying that. I hope you will visit us the next time you are in Las Vegas. I know we will more then exceed your expectations.

Reviewed March 2, 2010

When making me reservation I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting myself into after reading other reviews on Trip Advisor. I was able to book for $59.00 a night for a three night stay-so far so good. Upon check in the front desk lady was extremely helpful and fun, she needs a raise. We told her it was my father in law's 50th birthday and she gave us a few free drink tickets which was a nice touch. All of the staff I came into contact with was by far some of the friendliest most helpful people I have ever met. Now the bad. The room was exactly how most descrive on here, on it's last leg. The air didn't work, the tub did not drain, the tile was pretty gross with mold. The room smelled and just was over all unpleasant. With that said, with the price I got what do you expect. The casino only had maybe seven or so table games open at a time, so finding a seat was tough. We ended up gambling elsewhere for this reason so the Trop definitely lost out on some easy cash. So to summarize, if you are not going to be in your room for long (only to sleep and shower) and want to be on the strip I would say go for it. However, I will never stay again because I feel the extra money would be worth it to have a room that functions better. If the Trop comped me a room after the renovation was complete, I would probably give it another shot. I want a chance to win my $500 back I lost at three card poker anyway!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends

I am thrilled that you experience such wonderful customer service. We pride ourselves on our ability to deliver the best service on the strip. I do apologize that you found the rooms not up t your standards and had trouble finding seats at the Table Games. Every room on property will be renovated by this winter, with new ones selling as soon as April. The casino will also be renovated and more table games and an exciting new pit will be added.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

The room was NASTY to say the least. We asked for non-smoking and the room smelled strongly of smoke. There were NASTY NASTY stains on the bedspread...it looked like it had never been washed. I wouldnt even let my son down on the floor because it was so incredibly nasty. The carpet looked like it hadnt been swept let alone ever cleaned. I was appauled! We walked in, called the front desk, asked for a differnt room, which still WAS NOT up to any standard and then called for the bell hop to take our luggage down to the taxi that drove us across the street to the MGM Grand! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND A DEAD PERSON STAY HERE!

Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank tyrissTHEoriginal

Please accept my sincerest apologies that the room did not meet your standards. We are working hard to renovate the property, which includes a renovation of each and every room. I hope that you consider your stay not be our intended levels of service and room and will come back once the renovated rooms are open, which is this April.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

we got put in the old part of the hotel,, and it was so crappy,, stains every where,, good thing we only used it to sleep,, Never go to Vegas on a holiday..

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goldwingltd85

I apologize that your room did not meet your expectations. Every room will be renovated by this winter, with some rooms opening up as early as April. We hope to see you on your next vacation an earn the opportunity to “WOW” you.

Reviewed February 27, 2010

Price was good as the convention was across the street. Room was okay; drink prices were way up from last visit to Vegas altho that seemed to be across the board at all casinos. Will stay again, just not quite as magical as before....

Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

I am glad that you had a great business trip but apologize that you found us “not as magical as before.” Tropicana Las Vegas is currently going through a positive transformation to update the entire property. The new Tropicana Las Vegas is a South Beach themed destination. There will be excitement, sensuality, rhythm and style with a hint of a Latin twist. We anticipate the rooms, public areas and casino will be completed by September 2010 and hope that you come back and visit us then. We will redefine the Las Vegas resort experience!

Reviewed February 23, 2010

My main suggestion to people thinking about booking the Tropicana is to read the reviews throughly and make an educated decision. Keep in mind that there is a lot of renovation going on at the moment, so things are constantly changing. My experience is based on my stay in November 2009.

The Tropicana has good points and bad points, and you need to understand and weigh these up before you book.

The day we arrived we had a rental car, which we were going to return after check in. The Trop is one of the few Strip hotels that has parking, and it was free which was great.

We had to wait for about 10 minutes to check in, but the staff were polite and efficient.

We stayed in a room in the Island Tower. As many others have noted, these rooms are looking very tired. But having done our research, we knew that when we booked and I'm not going to complain about it. What the room lacked in looks, it made up for in view. We had a fantastic view, with the airport and Hooters hotel to the right, MGM Grand right ahead, and New York, New York and Excalibur to the left. Fantastic. The room was also very large with a double bed and a little sofa and table.

The Island Tower was a long walk from the lobby (at least 5 mins), which was a bit of a disadvantage.

There was construction going on, which meant the pool was closed.

The casino is not the most buzzing one, and the crowd seemed to be a bit older than nearby New York, New York and Excalibur. Food and drink options were limited.

We got one complimentary beverage each included in our rate, and we could have seen the resident magic show for free, although we didn't have time.

The Trop is at the far south of the Strip, and quite a distance from the major Strip hotels like Ceasers and Bellagio (probably 25 mins walking). The traffic was so bad on the Strip that we spent a lot of time walking up and down rather than catching the bus. This did become quite frustrating. But for us, room cost was a bigger consideration than location so it was something we had to live with.

Our stay was pleasent enough, but that is because we knew what to expect. I wouldn't trip over myself to stay at the Trop again, but if you're looking for somewhere on a budget that's a little less hectic, and a little bit of wear and tear dosen't bother you, then the Tropicana is worth consideration.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Loulabelle44
TropLV, Service Culture at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2010

I apologize that your stay in November 2009 did not meet all your expectations, but appreciate being notified of our shortcomings so that we may continue to review and improve our operations, Since your visit, we have better quality and new menus in all our restaurants, upgraded our entertainment, renovated several areas and are getting ready to unveil the new rooms in a month and a half. I hope you will consider your visit not to be our intended levels of service.