12,890 results
All reviewsclub towerparadise towerbeach cafepool areaother hotelssouth end of the stripnew york new yorkclose to the airportlong walkfood courtgreat poolmandalay baycasino floorself parkingslot machinesstrip viewbungalow
Reviewed March 5, 2010

There are good things and some bad things about the
Tropicana Hotel and Casino (The Trop).
1. First the good ... this hotel is at a great location with direct access to the MGM, NYNY, Excalibur--Lexor--Mandalay Bay (it is on an intersection with the overhead walkways and it is located right at the Northbound stop for the "Deuce", a dbl. decker bus that runs along the strip). Second, we were able to get a budgeted room rate. Third, the casino is a bit cheaper there ($5 blackjack) and reasonable paybacks on the slots.
2. Now the bad .. when we first arrived, we were given a shabby room in the garden wing (4000's). Our group requested a room upgrade in the "back" tower (Island Tower) which were much better with a nice view of the strip and a reasonably sized bathroom, though there could be at least one more lamp in the room for more light. Second, the walk from the casino/front door of the hotel to our room was LONG, not welcoming after a long walk touring the strip (or a bad night at the casino). Third, there are only two full service restaurants, an italian place (Bacio) and a steak joint (which was closed). For breakfast and lunch, there is only the deli. I think there is a buffet there but it was closed while we were there, (along with the pool area), for renovations Which brings up another point, while we were there, the Up escalator to get to the walkway for the island tower was closed so we would had to wait for the elevator. Fourth, the service is stuck up and cannot keep any reservations straight. Though they promised us a new room in the Island Tower,and gave us keys for it, the hotel forgot they had given us the new room and "sold" it to another party later that day. That night, we had an awful experience .. a person was trying to open our door at night with their key card (even if the room not over sold, he/she was probably drunk which is even more startling).. Furthermore, the key cards are very, very sensitive. The keys did not work the first morning and we had to have security come up to let us in. We were given new cards which worked the rest of the stay until 9 AM the day we checked out which was even more inconvenient since we had until 11 to check out and still had our stuff in the room. Finally, the hotel is the same block as the airport, great for a short taxi or shuttle ride, but not so great when we can hear the planes at night, let alone being in a room right next to the elevators.
Overall, the trop wasn't bad (not great) for the price and if it finally finishes its renovations, we might even stay there again, even just to experience the pool. We just hope this place would just simply abandon and completely redo the garden wings for what they are worth.. they are just simply outdated. If I wanted plain, I would have stayed at the travel lodge up the street (hey, thier sign .. that is the TravelLodge sign. is probably the only one on the strip not in neon).

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
TropLV, Service Culture at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2010

I am glad that you found our room rates and $5 (all day, every day) blackjack tables to be a great benefit. I do apologize, however, that you found the hotel facilities and food and beverage offerings to be lacking. We do have several new restaurants that will be opening this year as and the renovations will, among other things, include new doors and locks. We understand the sensitivity of the keys has been an issue and we are rectifying that. I hope you will visit us the next time you are in Las Vegas. I know we will more then exceed your expectations.

Reviewed March 2, 2010

When making me reservation I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting myself into after reading other reviews on Trip Advisor. I was able to book for $59.00 a night for a three night stay-so far so good. Upon check in the front desk lady was extremely helpful and fun, she needs a raise. We told her it was my father in law's 50th birthday and she gave us a few free drink tickets which was a nice touch. All of the staff I came into contact with was by far some of the friendliest most helpful people I have ever met. Now the bad. The room was exactly how most descrive on here, on it's last leg. The air didn't work, the tub did not drain, the tile was pretty gross with mold. The room smelled and just was over all unpleasant. With that said, with the price I got what do you expect. The casino only had maybe seven or so table games open at a time, so finding a seat was tough. We ended up gambling elsewhere for this reason so the Trop definitely lost out on some easy cash. So to summarize, if you are not going to be in your room for long (only to sleep and shower) and want to be on the strip I would say go for it. However, I will never stay again because I feel the extra money would be worth it to have a room that functions better. If the Trop comped me a room after the renovation was complete, I would probably give it another shot. I want a chance to win my $500 back I lost at three card poker anyway!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends

I am thrilled that you experience such wonderful customer service. We pride ourselves on our ability to deliver the best service on the strip. I do apologize that you found the rooms not up t your standards and had trouble finding seats at the Table Games. Every room on property will be renovated by this winter, with new ones selling as soon as April. The casino will also be renovated and more table games and an exciting new pit will be added.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

The room was NASTY to say the least. We asked for non-smoking and the room smelled strongly of smoke. There were NASTY NASTY stains on the bedspread...it looked like it had never been washed. I wouldnt even let my son down on the floor because it was so incredibly nasty. The carpet looked like it hadnt been swept let alone ever cleaned. I was appauled! We walked in, called the front desk, asked for a differnt room, which still WAS NOT up to any standard and then called for the bell hop to take our luggage down to the taxi that drove us across the street to the MGM Grand! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND A DEAD PERSON STAY HERE!

Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank tyrissTHEoriginal

Please accept my sincerest apologies that the room did not meet your standards. We are working hard to renovate the property, which includes a renovation of each and every room. I hope that you consider your stay not be our intended levels of service and room and will come back once the renovated rooms are open, which is this April.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

we got put in the old part of the hotel,, and it was so crappy,, stains every where,, good thing we only used it to sleep,, Never go to Vegas on a holiday..

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goldwingltd85

I apologize that your room did not meet your expectations. Every room will be renovated by this winter, with some rooms opening up as early as April. We hope to see you on your next vacation an earn the opportunity to “WOW” you.

Reviewed February 27, 2010

Price was good as the convention was across the street. Room was okay; drink prices were way up from last visit to Vegas altho that seemed to be across the board at all casinos. Will stay again, just not quite as magical as before....

Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

I am glad that you had a great business trip but apologize that you found us “not as magical as before.” Tropicana Las Vegas is currently going through a positive transformation to update the entire property. The new Tropicana Las Vegas is a South Beach themed destination. There will be excitement, sensuality, rhythm and style with a hint of a Latin twist. We anticipate the rooms, public areas and casino will be completed by September 2010 and hope that you come back and visit us then. We will redefine the Las Vegas resort experience!