“Great Experience! Already Booked Another Stay!”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #97 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Experience! Already Booked Another Stay!”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

This was my first experience at the Tropicana, and decided to try this place out because it was a quick, 3-day visit for just some rest and relaxation, and because it's now affiliated with Hilton. Check-in at the VIP lounge was fast, efficient and very friendly, although there really wasn't a line at the general check-in area. My requested room type, a king bungalow, was very nicely appointed and clean with a view of the pool. The staff throughout the property was very friendly and responsive to any request. Since I spent a great deal of time at the pool, I found it to be a fun, relaxing environment, and quickly learned that if you want a good spot near the pool, get there early! :) I found the restaurants to be very nice, with great food and decent pricing. There is also a Starbucks on-site, which was a nice, added perk. I have already booked another 4-day stay at the Tropicana in September, and look forward to visiting the Tropicana again.

Room Tip: Bungalow rooms with pool view are very nice, each with a little balcony. They are also very conveni...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Randall O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,670)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Barcelona
Reviewed August 18, 2014

This is our second time at the Tropicana. We just sleep there for 2 or 3 nights to rest from long flights from Europe when we are headed somewhere else. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are quiet and basic. This time we were given a room for smokers although our reservation clearly stated it was for a non-smoking room. We realized as soon as we stepped in because the cigarette smell was awful. However, after a 15-hour flight from Europe we opted for dropping on our beds. I told the reception the next morning and they offered to change our bedroom or to ozonize it, We opted for this and the smell improved, but people smoked in corridors and the corridors were very smelly. I wish they would forbid smoking once and for all. The safe in our bedroom was broken, we called and they sent a maintenance man who said it would take longer to repair, so we kept our passports in the safes provided at the reception. We stayed for 3 days and noone appeared to repair the safe. Also, I had prepaid the stay, but they said there was a 19,99 per day "resort fee" to access the pool and spa. Again, with the jet lag, I didn't say anything, but we never went to the spa or pool area, so this "resort fee" feels a bit like a scam,I mean, isn't the pool included in the hotel price? We are going to stay again at the end of this month and I am going to see what happens when I tell them that we don't want to use the pool or the spa, I wonder if they will still charge the "resort fee".

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ariana60
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2014

With all the themed resorts and mega resorts in Las Vegas, the simple old-time feel of the Tropicana was a refreshing change.

From a distance, the property looks ghostly - all-white, and almost looks uninhabited. But the hotel was fairly busy during my visit, and the service was friendly and accommodating.

I did not use the pool, but the pool area looked inviting and offered cabanas, poolside wait staff and other amenities.

The resort is located just across the street from New York, New York, the MGM Grand, Luxor and Excalibur, so dining and gambling options were plentiful and convenient.

What I especially loved was the short distance from self-parking to the front desk, from Las Vegas Blvd to the front door, and from the check-in desk to the room. The new resorts throughout Vegas force you through endless walks to go anywhere, so if you're short on time it won't all be wasted getting from your car and to the Strip.

Hilton HHonors participation is an added bonus.

In short, this place is not as glitzy as virtually every other property in Vegas - but the nostalgia and convenience are very appealing.

Room Tip: Request a recently renovated room and be prepared to be reassigned if your room assignment is subpar...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank davidrA3168AF
Osakis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 18, 2014

This hotel is located across from the Excalibur and MGM Grand and kitty cornered from New York, New York. Luxor and Mandalay Bay are within easy access via monorail. We were located on the 7th floor in the Club Tower for 6 nights. Our room was a King, but not a typical Doubletree in that is was not a suite. I don't know if that is the case for all the rooms or not. It was clean, which is a blessing in this day and age of bedbug reports. The room view was the airport runway, with the terminal located about 2 to 3 miles away. We found it quiet, even with airplanes taking off and landing. It was more of a muffled sound, but if that bothers you, get a room on the other side. Our only complaint about the floor was a "wet mop mildew" smell in the lobby area off the elevator. We weren't sure what the issue was there, but it seemed to have dissipated after our time there. If you are driving, parking is free, but be advised that it is a long hike from the parking area to the Club Tower. There is no back entrance, and I would guess the walk is between an eighth to a quarter mile. I would think that the hotel could design a back entrance of some kind, but it may be a security issue. The casino is small by Vegas standards but adequate and clean. My game of choice is slots, however don't expect loose slots here or anywhere else on the main part of the "new" strip. They are looser in the old part of Vegas or off the strip. You can still find $1 blackjack in the old part of Vegas as well. Blackjack here starts at $5. Beware of the push to be a club member here. We understood that in the first 24 hours (as new members) that half of our losses would be returned to us in slot use. When we swiped the club card before the 24 hours was up, we received a ticket sort of thing that I took to the club card people to ask how I could use it. Table games, I was told, which was contrary to the explanation I received originally. So beware of the club card promise as it wasn't what it seemed. Restaurants here are primarily "white tablecloth" with a cafe and Starbucks being the alternatives. Pricey is my description of the two regular restaurants (one Italian, one a steakhouse located across from each other) as entrees start at $40. You can however trot over to Excalibur for fast food such as McDonalds, Krispy Kreme, and the like if you want something cheaper. I found the other restaurants on the strip just as pricey and pricier, however, that is relative to what you are used to. With that said, I personally view anything over $20 as pricey so take that for what it's worth. While we did not use the pool area, it looked very clean and nice. My biggest complaint about the hotel was the parking access which was miserable. I can't compare it to the other hotels however, so that may be common. It was a pleasant stay otherwise.

Room Tip: If you are noise sensitive get a room opposite the airport.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank NativeIowan
Globe
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We had an excellent time at the Tropicana. Friendly staff. We were given an upgrade and the rooms were recently renovated with quality furnishings (great bed, TV, bath and sofa). Hlton did a nice job. It was on the strip with close access to the City Center, MGM, and Mandalay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Where do start. We just came back from Las Vegas and stayed at the very friendly Tropicana. I can not say enough about the fabulous service we received as soon as we walked through the doors. Right from the check in to the housekeeping to the amazing waitresses throughout the hotel. The casino is very bright and to our surprise not very smoky at all. We have never had such amazing cocktail servers in any Las Vegas hotels we have ever stayed at.
Great service in the restaurants the only negative comment I have is my prime rib at the steak house was very tough and I could not eat it. This is a Very quaint and classy hotel. If you are looking to go Las Vegas and not feel like a number I suggest you try the Tropicana. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Tammy_bettles
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed for a long weekend in August. We loved the pool. We used the pool on a Sunday and a Tuesday and it didn't seem like people had a problem finding a lounge chair. We rented a daybed for $75 on Sunday and $50 on Tuesday and it was totally worth it to us. It was nice to have a larger space to spread out and relax. The pool had a relaxed atmosphere, not too many children/families, but not too many college kids either. The music wasn't too loud. Perfect environment to lay out and read a book. Prices for drinks/food were pretty fair by Vegas standards too. $8 for nachos and $32 for a pitcher of margaritas. (about 6 glasses in a pitcher)

We stayed in the club tower. The rooms were decent. They have been renovated and are perfectly nice. Spacious enough and the beds were comfy. The bathroom however, did not seem like it had been included in the renovation. The grout in the tile shower was cracked and moldy. Also, it was difficult to get a visit from housekeeping. We were out of our room around 10/10:30am each morning and somehow we always missed them. Finally called and asked for service. I thought the schedule was a little unreasonable, I understand there are a lot of rooms, but this is Vegas, people sleep in.

We were here celebrating our anniversary and brought a bottle of champagne with us. We wanted to drink it in our room before dinner one night and stopped by the concierge desk to ask if we could get champagne glasses to take up to our room. No dice. They wanted to charge us to let us use champagne glasses. Seriously? I was pretty put off by that.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The bathroom could have been cleaner and I think they need to seriously rethink their policy on glassware and such in the rooms. The pool was wonderful and I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for a more relaxed pool vibe in Vegas.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple