“TERRIBLE PLACE * 1 STAR HOTEL* DONT STAY HERE”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #98 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We stayed here this past weekend and when we checked in, we were told they "gave away our room" it took almost 3 hrs for them to find us another room, which was on the other end of the hotel like 2 miles away. it smelt like sewage and mold, dingy and dark. The airconditioner was not working. when i tried to contact the manager to switch rooms, he was "on his break". He didnt care and acted like it was our fault. This hotel should be rated 1 STAR. Probably the worse place on this earth. Youre better off at a SUPER 8.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sak L
Trop L, Guest Relations at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Dear Sak L,

Thank you for leaving us feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear of any inconveniences you may have experienced during your time with us. I would love the chance to speak to you in more details, please reach out to us directly at Myexperience@troplv.com

There are newer reviews for Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Reviewed May 1, 2014

The rooms seemed to have been recently updated as the beds were REALLY comfortable. We were in a bungalow facing into the parking lot. The view was actually not bad, of NYNY/Luxor and Mandalay Bay over the parking garage.
The rooms were nice but basic. They did have FREE wi-fi, an iron, hairdryer, safe and balcony. They did not have a fridge or coffee maker.
The pool was GREAT. Excellent music all the time, loud enough to make it fun, but still able to talk over it. Excellent sandwiches (Philly cheese steak was awesome!) by the pool and frequent beverage service (you cannot bring your own food/drinks to the pool).
The Casino was small, but it was actually nice because we were travelling with two other couples and it meant it was easy to meet up with them before going out.
There was a Starbucks and a pizza place that were both good, we did not try the other restaurants.
The location was not super central, but definitely close to lots of other hotel/casinos.
We went to the Laugh Factory and saw Adam Ray, who may have been the funniest person I've ever seen.
I would recommend it if you got a really good deal, but probably wouldn't stay there again due to the size and location.
We did have a great time though!
Let me know if you have any questions!

Room Tip: We stayed in the bungalows and were VERY happy with the room (with balcony)
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank craigger20
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Out in Vegas with a group for birthday celebration, although we travel there twice a year first time at this location in 30 years. They have done a great job of bringing it up to a good standard. We had a suite on the 17th. floor in the Paradise Tower, fantastic view of the strip. Room was clean tidy and comfortable , would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed May 1, 2014

When you turn on the TV in your room, you hear the CEO of Tropicana talk about the great customer service you will receive from the moment you check in.

That wasn't my experience with the front desk. I arrived a few hours early and was promptly told by the woman at the front desk, that check in was at 3pm and if I wanted to check in early, I would have to pay for the previous night, then a blank stare and hands folded behind her back-clear signs that she was not going to engage with me any further. Yes hotels have check in times, but I've never received that sort of response when arriving a few hours early, typically they are sympathetic and check to see if something is available. Plus there's no consistency in when the requirement to pay the previous night kicks in.

I returned at the check in at 3pm only to be told that the type of room I requested was not yet available, so I can either take what's available or wait some more, or for $75 more I can upgrade to one of those fabulous suites that the CEO also raves about on the TV.

So I was put in the Club Tower which is a good 15 minutes walk from the front desk, through the casino, past the show ticket booths, up the escalator pass the restaurants, pass the spa, gift shops, down the stairs to the convention center, hang left for the Club Tower.

I get to the room and it is right above the designated outdoor smoking area. The room itself was not one of the newly renovated rooms that you see advertised, but it was clean and orderly with signs of wear and tear on the furniture. I would describe the decor as 70s understated Hawaiian/Tropical.

The casino itself looked newly renovated and also quite clean. The cleaning staff was friendly as well as the bell hop crew, they were the best in terms of customer service.

But the casino doesn't have the same lively energy as some of the others nearby.

The wifi did not work, not once while I was there. I asked for an explanation of what was included in the resort fee and got no explanation, my guess is wifi and something else which remains a mystery to me.

I wouldn't stay here again, not even for the Hilton points. I prefer the service and rooms I've received from the other hotels. But it is good option if you are looking for something on the Strip that will not break the bank.

Room Tip: Suites seem to offer the best experience
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank kh214
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We were their from April 21 thur the 24 and after we got home we got a bill for internet service. We were told if we log on and off every day it was free Then we get a bill. Beware as they have a double standard. Room was ok. The cleaning lady was super our friends room was very bad stained carpets and stained sheets. Stay elsewhere

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank kleiker55
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Either they hire the worst service staff immaginable or they are extremely understaffed.

Issue #1 - I was in Las Vegas for a conference at the Mandaly Bay. My travel staff suggested the Issue Tropicana since the Mandalay Bay was above our preferred rate. I called the Tropicana to ask how far away they were from the Mandalay Bay and explained that I had a business conference. I was told that all I needed to do was walk across the street to the Excalaber and the tram would take me right there. I confirmed at check-in and was told again that the tram would be running and to just walk across the street to the Excalaber. The morning of the conference, I walked across the street to find........the tram does not start until 9am. That's a problem since my conference began at 8. I understand miscommunications happen. But when I complained to the staff, I was met with EXTREME indiference as the desk manager said "Well; did you tell them that you needed the tram at 8?". No apology for the miscommunication.
Issue #2 There is only one person at the concierge desk and I only saw him once during my stay. I asked him to set up a cab to take me to the mandalay bay as I would have luggage. He said there were always cabs outside the door. I told him that I needed to leave at 7am and he said that even at 7 there would be cabs. If there were not, the valet would be able to call me a cab. Got there at 7am and neither cabs or valet were present. There was someone near the luggage room with a Tropicana jacket and he said just to go back and wait for a cab. A cab finally showed up and said technically he was not supposed to pick me up because the valet was supposed to hail him. But he said that he serves many of the hotels and the valet at the Tropicana was "most likely to disappear".

Others at my conference stated that they had a similar experience and were very disapointed at the rude service.

The room itself is OK. The beds were decent, but the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling as was the bathtub. The plantation shutters and daybed were nice touches. I do have to give a kudos to the maid service. For all the peeling, the rooms were exceptionally clean.

Honestly as one of the few remaining independent hotels/casinos on the strip, I would think that they woud want to provide exceptional service. But the level of service was sorely lacking.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank DawnTaz
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Dear DawnTaz,

Thank you for providing us detailed information from your recent stay with us. I would love the chance to speak to you. Please feel free to reach out to us at Myexperience@troplv.com

Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

The room was not bad, but we did not have high expectations beyond a clean room. We do not spend a lot of time in the room. The bathroom was not great with chipped enamel in the tub. The casino is nice, bright and not to smokey. The pool area while smaller than most is well laid out and is nice (there were no wait staff that we saw so we were on our own for drinks).

Checkin was a horrible experience. We tried early checkin twice and were told to come back(fair enough) but the attitude we were given was borderline rude. Our third attempt was beyond rude although it was check-in time and our room was not ready. (They had 2 staff helping all the non honors guests.) We were told she could not tell us when to come back and we were offered a room with 2 queens instead of 1 king (which we took to avoid having to line up at a random time) as we were told we could not check in. We can understand one person having a bad day but we were three for three at the front desk.

As a result of our experience with the front desk staff we will stay somewhere else when we return.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Patrick M

Dear Patrick M,

We greatly apologize for the unnecessary frustrations you experienced. Our goal is to meet and exceed every guests' expectations and we are terribly sorry we failed to do so on your visit. We would love the chance to further discuss your stay. Please feel free to reach out to us at your earliest convenience.- Myexperience@troplv.com