“Service Staff Extremely Inattentive”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #98 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
New York City, New York
“Service Staff Extremely Inattentive”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Either they hire the worst service staff immaginable or they are extremely understaffed.

Issue #1 - I was in Las Vegas for a conference at the Mandaly Bay. My travel staff suggested the Issue Tropicana since the Mandalay Bay was above our preferred rate. I called the Tropicana to ask how far away they were from the Mandalay Bay and explained that I had a business conference. I was told that all I needed to do was walk across the street to the Excalaber and the tram would take me right there. I confirmed at check-in and was told again that the tram would be running and to just walk across the street to the Excalaber. The morning of the conference, I walked across the street to find........the tram does not start until 9am. That's a problem since my conference began at 8. I understand miscommunications happen. But when I complained to the staff, I was met with EXTREME indiference as the desk manager said "Well; did you tell them that you needed the tram at 8?". No apology for the miscommunication.
Issue #2 There is only one person at the concierge desk and I only saw him once during my stay. I asked him to set up a cab to take me to the mandalay bay as I would have luggage. He said there were always cabs outside the door. I told him that I needed to leave at 7am and he said that even at 7 there would be cabs. If there were not, the valet would be able to call me a cab. Got there at 7am and neither cabs or valet were present. There was someone near the luggage room with a Tropicana jacket and he said just to go back and wait for a cab. A cab finally showed up and said technically he was not supposed to pick me up because the valet was supposed to hail him. But he said that he serves many of the hotels and the valet at the Tropicana was "most likely to disappear".

Others at my conference stated that they had a similar experience and were very disapointed at the rude service.

The room itself is OK. The beds were decent, but the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling as was the bathtub. The plantation shutters and daybed were nice touches. I do have to give a kudos to the maid service. For all the peeling, the rooms were exceptionally clean.

Honestly as one of the few remaining independent hotels/casinos on the strip, I would think that they woud want to provide exceptional service. But the level of service was sorely lacking.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank DawnTaz
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear DawnTaz,

Thank you for providing us detailed information from your recent stay with us. I would love the chance to speak to you. Please feel free to reach out to us at Myexperience@troplv.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,694)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

The room was not bad, but we did not have high expectations beyond a clean room. We do not spend a lot of time in the room. The bathroom was not great with chipped enamel in the tub. The casino is nice, bright and not to smokey. The pool area while smaller than most is well laid out and is nice (there were no wait staff that we saw so we were on our own for drinks).

Checkin was a horrible experience. We tried early checkin twice and were told to come back(fair enough) but the attitude we were given was borderline rude. Our third attempt was beyond rude although it was check-in time and our room was not ready. (They had 2 staff helping all the non honors guests.) We were told she could not tell us when to come back and we were offered a room with 2 queens instead of 1 king (which we took to avoid having to line up at a random time) as we were told we could not check in. We can understand one person having a bad day but we were three for three at the front desk.

As a result of our experience with the front desk staff we will stay somewhere else when we return.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Patrick M
Trop L, Guest Relations at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Patrick M,

We greatly apologize for the unnecessary frustrations you experienced. Our goal is to meet and exceed every guests' expectations and we are terribly sorry we failed to do so on your visit. We would love the chance to further discuss your stay. Please feel free to reach out to us at your earliest convenience.- Myexperience@troplv.com
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed at the newly renovated Tropicana for 4 nights, Monday-Friday. We were in the Club Tower which I might not book again, but only due to its location within the casino. Its beyond the casino and near the convention centre. Meaning you have to go through the casino, up the escalators near the players card area, through an area with some shops and restaurants and then down a loooooong hallway to get to the elevators where the club towers are. Aside from the 15 minute hike to get to the Club Towers, there were no faults.

We slept only until 6-9am daily yet every morning when we left (around 10-11am) we already had a note on the door that we had missed maid service due to the do not disturb sign on our doors while sleeping. Not a problem, we just called down each time and told them we were now up and out and would appreciate housekeeping service.

The fridge requested was brought up broken, but the lady who brought it checked it upon plugging it in, realized immediately and was back with another one 15 minutes later. We appreciated she took the time to check it and notice it was broken before we learned the hard way.

The bottles of water in our room at check in were appreciated, though it would have been more so if they were a daily thing and not just upon checkin.

The wifi did not work and we were unable to connect (to our whopping 1MB daily allowance). If you are going to charge for wifi, giving only 1MB is ridiculous and pointless but since we couldn't access it the entire time, it was irrelevant. They did refund us our $22 resort fee for this reason which was very appreciated since it was the ONLY amenity included in the resort fee we would have used, and with it not working, used none of them.

The beds however were very comfortable and the location while not centre strip was perfect for us who had shows at Luxor and MGM and meal plans at NYNY and Mandalay Bay. I really enjoyed being on the south end of the strip, still very much ON the strip, but at the same time quieter and more subdued than had we been near PH or the Quad.

For the value and the location, it would certainly be an option we would consider next time we came to Vegas.

Room Tip: Pay a few bucks extra and stay in the Paradise instead of Club Tower. it will be a much shorter walk...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank PolishJinx
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Stayed at the Tropicana because we heard that it was remodeled. Well, yes it was, but we won't be going back. The hotel shows signs of its old age right through its "newness". The pool area was ridiculously crowded with hardly any shade protection from the sun. There are many better choices on the strip.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BandJ R
Lehigh Valley
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The room was clean and re-cleaned daily. Bed was very comfortable and bathroom had plenty of space. Lots of hot water and plenty of towels. The hotel was designed like all of the rest; where you have to go through the casino to get anywhere. What I enjoyed was not being bombarded by time share people as I was when entering most of the other casinos. Their food was prepared very well at any of the various restaurants and coffee shops inside. It is a more family and couple friendly place than the other resorts; no partially dressed women dancing on tables, no 2 gallon mug watering holes, and no college drunks staggering around with phony paper bag dunce caps on their heads. None of the casino slots pay out anywhere on the strip; at least they bandage your wound with giving you back a hundred after you lose $200 ( the other hundred is given back in play if you return in 30 days). The best way around is by walking as the tram is only accessible if you can get through the maze in the hotel to find the correct exit in the rear; try a $2 one way pass to confirm this and save the $12 you waste on an all day pass that you will never use. Cab service for 2 persons is actually cheaper than the shuttle; as it is only $10 per group versus $8 a person on the shuttle. The bus service from airport only runs hourly and they drop you off in obscure areas where you end up walking almost a mile to your hotel; even though the map shows you being dropped off in front of resorts. If you are seeing the theater shows, avoid buying the cheapest seats or you will be surrounded by self absorbed, rude, classless people who show up late, talk throughout the show and beg for attention by whistling and acting like they are part of the show. The Glow Spa was fantastic for a massage for my birthday. Fitness room is just a few treadmills, bikes, and about a dozen dumb bells; about the same as the other hotels.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank screwedbydaysinn
Greenfield
Reviewed April 30, 2014

They will say you have a view of the strip but when you get there your room is gone and you're left with a room looking at buildings and no balcony. Also, it would be nice if they opened the pool area in the mornings so you can sit outside and enjoy your coffee. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else, trust me.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

6 Thank Donna C
Dear Donna C,

Thank you for leaving us feedback from your recent stay. I would love to speak to you in more detail about your stay. Please reach out to us at your earliest convenience. - Myexperience@troplv.com
Tropicana, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Hotel/Casino Tropicana is a nice place to stay. I really enjoyed going to the pool and the Conference Rooms are Just Perfect. I stayed at the Tropicana for the Annual Tri-Sec Conference and it was an enjoyable time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business