Either they hire the worst service staff immaginable or they are extremely understaffed.
Issue #1 - I was in Las Vegas for a conference at the Mandaly Bay. My travel staff suggested the Issue Tropicana since the Mandalay Bay was above our preferred rate. I called the Tropicana to ask how far away they were from the Mandalay Bay and explained that I had a business conference. I was told that all I needed to do was walk across the street to the Excalaber and the tram would take me right there. I confirmed at check-in and was told again that the tram would be running and to just walk across the street to the Excalaber. The morning of the conference, I walked across the street to find........the tram does not start until 9am. That's a problem since my conference began at 8. I understand miscommunications happen. But when I complained to the staff, I was met with EXTREME indiference as the desk manager said "Well; did you tell them that you needed the tram at 8?". No apology for the miscommunication.
Issue #2 There is only one person at the concierge desk and I only saw him once during my stay. I asked him to set up a cab to take me to the mandalay bay as I would have luggage. He said there were always cabs outside the door. I told him that I needed to leave at 7am and he said that even at 7 there would be cabs. If there were not, the valet would be able to call me a cab. Got there at 7am and neither cabs or valet were present. There was someone near the luggage room with a Tropicana jacket and he said just to go back and wait for a cab. A cab finally showed up and said technically he was not supposed to pick me up because the valet was supposed to hail him. But he said that he serves many of the hotels and the valet at the Tropicana was "most likely to disappear".
Others at my conference stated that they had a similar experience and were very disapointed at the rude service.
The room itself is OK. The beds were decent, but the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling as was the bathtub. The plantation shutters and daybed were nice touches. I do have to give a kudos to the maid service. For all the peeling, the rooms were exceptionally clean.
Honestly as one of the few remaining independent hotels/casinos on the strip, I would think that they woud want to provide exceptional service. But the level of service was sorely lacking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prepare to be surprised. The Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton redefines the expectations of today's global travelers with a casually elegant experience on the Las Vegas Strip and a convenient location just minutes from the airport, major convention centers and top entertainment stadiums. With a unique South Beach vibe after a $200 million complete transformation, the hotel features all-new rooms, suites and luxury villas that evoke the sentiment of a breezy beach house or penthouse in Miami, a fresh redesign of the 50,000-square-foot casino, several award-winning restaurants, a new race and sports book, and Glow(R), a Mandara Spa and fitness center. Top entertainment includes Laugh Factory comedy club and live music in the Tropicana Lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Vegas.com, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tropicana Las Vegas Hotel Las Vegas
- Tropicana Resort Las Vegas
- Tropicana Hotel Las Vegas