“Good value for money”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #101 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed January 16, 2014

A trip that required a four night stay at the Trop was not bad given the airline tie-in price of $57 a night. Room was large, basically clean, and comfortable.

Like some other reviewers, I too was a victim of housekeeping skipping the room one day. And I believe that had I not run into housekeeping in the hall at 5pm the next day, I would have been skipped again. Unlike others, when I called housekeeping someone was up within 15 minutes with fresh towels and was prepared to service the room had I pressed for it (but it was 9pm and I was not really interested in leaving the room to make the point). There was a small child's hand print on the closet mirror and I did benchmark that for the thoroughness of cleaning as it was never removed. Couple of other things:

The resort fee is a complete rip-off. What you basically get is two water bottles. The "free" Internet is at 500 kbps which is good for nothing, so you are compelled to upgrade for $8 a day to 5mbps. In fairness, the front desk waived the upgrade charge after the room cleaning incident.

The in-room TV channel selection was very limited. Now I realize part of the deal is they want you out gambling. But it's winter and sometimes you just want to go back to the room and chill for a while.

The hotel is at the south end of the strip which means you do have to walk a little ways to get into the main action. Not a deal breaker but a little wearying after a few days.

So a great value for money, but only at the right price.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear BD456,

Thank you for leaving us a review and providing us with valuable feedback. I am so sorry we were not able to exceed your expectations and unfortunately you experienced some inconveniences as a result of inconsistencies with our service. I have shared your feedback with our teams to make immediate improvements. I hope you'll give us a chance to make it up to you next time you are in Las Vegas. Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby

Write a ReviewReviews (12,240)

Reviewed January 15, 2014

If you are looking for the Vegas party, or if you are looking for upscale accommodations then this really isn't the place to stay. However as I was here as contractor working in LV for two days with early call times each morning, the Tropicana was ideal especially as I had to pay for the hotel out of my own budget and this is one of the best value hotels on the strip. I'm not on vacation so I don't want to be paying through the nose, but I do want a certain level of quality so that I can unwind after a hard days work.

This is newly renovated hotel and so everything felt clean and new. My non smoking room unlike many so called non smoking rooms in Vegas, actually did smell clean and smoke free, and even the gaming / bar area was well ventilated. I didn't feel like I was breathing in an oppressive smog. This is a huge plus, because not everyone who visits Vegas wants to go home with emphysema.

The staff here were very friendly, from check in to check out. I don't gamble, but even the table hosts smiled and waved as I passed them. The girls at the Chill'm bar were also very friendly and professional. It was nice to relax and enjoy a beer before settling down for the night. As a paying guest it is important to feel that the staff value your business and I really did feel welcomed by everyone working here.

House keeping was efficient I came back to a nice clean room after a hard days work. The bed was comfortable. When I'm working out of town all I need is a clean, quiet and comfortable room and the Tropicana delivered. I stayed in the club tower which being further away from the casino area, I imagine made for a quieter room. Even though I was in one of the cheapest rooms, it was plenty big enough with a modern open and airy feel. There was a huge desk and plenty of power outlets, which for me was very useful as after work I have to charge up batteries for my work equipment, phone and computer.

The only thing about the club tower is that it is a bit of hike from the check in desk, which is fine as most of the Vegas hotels have you schlepping through the casino to get to your room after checking in. What I don't understand though, is that the self parking lot is right behind the club tower, but every time I wanted to get to my car to drive to my work location, there was no direct way out of the club tower to the parking lot. I had to haul my expensive and heavy gear through the hotel and casino to one of the main exits and hike around the hotel to get to my car. Why can't there be an easy exit / entrance from the club tower to the parking for day to to day use? If there was door that could be secured from the public and able to be accessed by hotel guests by swiping your room key it would be so much easier.

The other thing is that pesky $19.99 + tax resort fee. If I could go back in time and change history, after assassinating Hitler and some other evil despots, I would seek out and find the person who invented the resort fee, give that person a good beating and make them un-invent this rip off . I get that most Hotels in Vegas and Hawaii charge this. We all hate paying this mandatory fee as it stinks of being nickel and dimed. The Tropicana has no reason to charge this as you get very little in return- The Wifi is soooo slow, 512k is included in the resort fee, but you can upgrade to faster for an additional $9.99 (More nickel and diming). Most non resort hotels offer high speed internet for less $ than what they charge for the resort fee here. Also you get to access the pool except it's January so the pool was never open when I was in the hotel, and non resort hotels offer their pools for free so it's not like you are getting anything above the ordinary for the resort fee. Oh and access to the gym which 1) I didn't have the time to use as I was working, and 2) Non resort hotels have free access to their gyms, so again nothing extra for the fee. For $19.99 all you really get is snail speed internet and couple of bottles of water.

Would I stay here again, most likely if I am traveling for business, and as a Hilton Honors member I get points for using this hotel. I do prefer quieter hotels even if I'm in Vegas. My 1st choice of accommodation in this city would be the Vdara, but when on a budget the Tropicana is more than good enough.

3  Thank Martin K

Dear Martin K,

We appreciate the valuable feedback you provided us, Our goal is to meet and exceed every guests' expectations and we are sorry to here you did not enjoy your entire visit, particularly regarding the inconvenience of the location you stayed at. On your next visit I would suggest reserving our bungalow tower as it has direct access to our self parking. We would love the chance to have you visit again. If you would like to further discuss the details we would love to hear from you. Myexperience@Troplv.com - Shelby

stayed 14 - 16 January, the hotel is not bad, but neither is it good
so, here's my random list of bizarrely disappointing things.... in all fairness, it was a really cheap room, and any one of these things is forgivable, but taken together, they're a big 'thumbs down':
AIR CONDITIONING: arrived and A/C wasn't working, room was an oven, maintenance responded quickly, got it going... the weird noises from the A/C required two more visits throughout the night... the staff was very friendly and responsive, but, honestly, I wanted to spend time sleeping, not chatting with them... the next day I noticed that Tropicana seems to be very environmentally conscious... they don't really air condition the public spaces...; hallways, gym, etc. -- admirable sentiment, but there are probably better ways to reduce your carbon footprint than skipping A/C in the desert
NOISE: there's no sound proofing, so the ability to monitor all the activity on the street from 15 floors up is just like having a police scanner that you can't shut off
INTERNET/WIFI: the 'free' WiFi isn't.... the trick is this: if you want WiFi that actually works a little, Tropicana will charge you $9.99/day... sadly, even their up-charge WiFi (is that still a thing?) leaves much to be desired (think dial-up)... but it is a big improvement over their 'free' WiFi, which provides you with nothing more than a chance to sit quietly and meditate....
'RESORT": the biggest mystery of all: what is the $19.99 'resort fee' for??? I've been to a lot of DoubleTree hotels with more 'resort' amenities than this place.... someone needs to tell the Tropicana that having a swimming pool is not really that big of a deal in the U.S. hotel business....
ROOMS the rooms are NOTHING like the pictures on their website... I'm in an 'upgraded tower room' -- it is not a bad room, but certainly nothing special... roughly the equivalent of any room at a newer Hampton Inn
- the gym is a HUGE disappointment! don't bother....any Marriott in any town has a better gym than this one
- I picked this place because they sold it well on the Hilton website (totally misleading) and offered an $80 rate, but at $80 I still felt like I didn't get a good deal

Room Tip: go somewhere else
3  Thank briansO569VE
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Brian S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We apologize that your stay fell short of your expectations, especially in regards to the unexpected temperature challenges you experienced in your room. Your feedback is very important as it allows us make any necessary improvements. I would love to speak to you in more detail about your stay, please feel free to reach out to me at your earliest convenience. Myexperience@troplv.com – Shelby

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Great hotel on the strip. If you want a smaller and quieter hotel that offers great service and a nice casino. This is the one. Great service and nice hotel for those who do not want the mega casino hotel.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Charles D

Dear Charles D,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving us such fantastic feedback! We strive to delight our Guests with our service and I am thrilled to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know when you'll be visiting us again! Myexperience@troplv.com –Shelby

Reviewed January 14, 2014

My friend and I stayed here during CES, we paid an exorbitant amount of money for what we got, but that is the nature of the beast when you attend CES. I was curious to see how much different the place was since the renovation, I'm afraid to say it's already needs another. Granted, this is a historic Vegas location and you do get a nice feeling of genuine old Vegas when you walk through the main entry. The check in process was smooth enough and we stayed in a Paradise Tower room. The furnishings in the room were pretty tired - the dresser had a matchbook underneath a corner to help level it out, but even then if we put anything a dresser drawer it would creep all the way open because it wasn't level. The power plugs on the lamps were completely worn out and our devices would just slide out of them like a loose... well, you get the idea :) The white paint on the surface of the bathtub had peeled off in large sections and the bathtub faucet was leaky. On the plus side, the AC worked very well and the beds were clean and comfortable. Other then the road noise and sirens from the strip through the window (which was quite a bit louder than I would have liked), I found the room to be pretty quiet.

The resort fees here are a total joke. We paid $22 a day in resort fees, which includes a couple of bottled waters, gym usage and "high speed" internet. This was just flat out false advertising, when you try and access the wifi you are greeted with a page stating that your included "high speed" access is limited to 512kbs. If you want to pay an additional $9.99 a day, they will raise you up to 5Mbps. Are you kidding me? The 512Kbs wifi was horrible of course, nowhere even close to that speed. Good thing we good decent cell reception in the rooms.

The real issue was the housekeeping. Each day when we returned to our room around 5pm, we came back to an unmade room. I called housekeeping to report it and they said they would have someone come up and clean the room. They did follow through on this but it happened each day we stayed there, we had to call everyday for a clean room! I don't think I've experienced that anywhere else I've stayed in my life.

The Beach Cafe had a decent breakfast buffet for $20 a person. The food was fresh and there were many options. One thing left me puzzled though - they had an outstanding spread of bagel fixings - different kinds of cream cheese, onions, cucumber, lox, capers, tomato - and the only bagels they had were the cheap, awful mini bagels you would find in the grocery store! (Think Sara Lee brand) Seriously?

My friend left his tablet charger in the room by accident when we left and he called the hotel after he realized his mistake but they said they couldn't find it... granted he was the one who left it in the room, but it was definitely somewhere in the room... oh well...

I would only consider staying at the Tropicana again if we got a really good deal, it certainly wasn't worth the CES surcharge

2  Thank lichen86

Dear lichen86,

We appreciate the valuable feedback you provided us and we are delighted to hear you found your room to be comfortable in regards to the bed and temperature. Our goal is to meet and exceed every guest’s expectations and we are terribly sorry we failed in some areas of your visit. We would love the chance to make it up to on a future visit, please feel free to reach out to me if you would like to further discuss your stay. Myexperience@Troplv.com - Shelby

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed on june 2013 for a week. The room was dated and a litlle dirty (lost of dust on the fixtures, behind the bed, along the walls...etc.). The lobby was fully redesigned, but the rooms were not. Comfort was ok. Well situated on the strip, close to everything (instead there's the monorail just a step away). The matter was we had a deal for the trip, so we thought we could have a «not to expensive» vacation at the Tropicana, but when the lady at the pool bar is telling you seriously that a «slush» is 14$ and that she looks at you like «it is soooo normal», you realize that everything in this hotel doesn't fit with your room.

At the pool, there is 2 sections: Bagatelle and Tropicana, they have their own music, playing outloud at the same time. Wow... desperatly nerve racking and not enjoyable at all!

Would not really recommend it. Will never go back there instead if it's free.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Missysabella
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Missysabella,

We appreciate the valuable feedback you provided us, Our goal is to meet and exceed every guests' expectations and we are terribly sorry we failed to do so on your visit, particularly in regards to your room, and the music at the pool. We would love the chance to have you visit again. If you would like to further discuss the details we would love to hear from you. Myexperience@Troplv.com - Shelby

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Hotel is very nice, reminded me of Aquarius in Laughlin. Not a mega resort thank god, rooms are just fine, appointed well and clean. My biggest complaint however is that the restaurants, sports bar, food court were closed. The Coffee Shop restaurant was the only thing open. No cocktail service in Sports Book !!! Since sports bar was closed, I went to gift shop to buy beers while I sat in the Sports Book. Cantor Sports Book is great !!! No Smoking !!! Casino is just fine as well, very clean. I will go back because I really like the other things that are important to me, Honestly I would give it a solid 4 Stars if all restaurants were open and cocktails were served in sports book. Other than that, I would recommend. If you want big, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Bungalow Room with a balcony overlooking the pool, no complaints.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear SurfPonto27,

We appreciate the valuable feedback you provided us. Due to business demands, some days we do close some of our outlets earlier, and I am terribly sorry if this caused any inconvenience for you. We truly hope to have an opportunity to better serve you on your next visit! Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby