“Long time Las Vegas visitor”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #96 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We have stayed at several mid-priced Las Vegas hotels over the past 25 years. The Tropicana has been the best for our money. This was not the case before the renovations. We like the Paradise tower and the Bungalow Rooms near the pool. The casino is small to mid-size which we find to perfect to play slots or table games and still be able to find others in our group with ease.The valet ,front desk and cocktail service was very good.Looking forward to our next visit in the Spring of 2014

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear MIKE2255,

We appreciate the valuable feedback you provided us, Our goal is to meet and exceed every guests' expectations and we are thrilled to hear you had an enjoyable time with us. Many of our guests find the location and layout of the hotel to be convenient and I am pleased to hear you agree. We truly look forward to your next visit! Myexperience@Troplv.com - Shelby

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Overall, our room at the Tropicana was very good. It was large. The bed was comfortable. The furnishings were new and in excellent condition. It was clean, as was all the linen. It was quiet; we were in the "Club Tower". The room temperature was comfortable and the AC was quiet. All the staff we met were friendly. We got a very good rate - even after they added the "resort fee".

I would have rated it excellent except for a couple of items; The tub/shower faucet was very difficult to operate. Once you pulled hard enough to turn on the water it didn't regulate the temperature very well either. The tub also had some broken tiles and missing caulking that allowed some mold to grow therein. I also missed having a coffee maker in the room; there was no refrigerator, either, which might be nice in a desert climate.

swj,

Thank you staying with us and leaving us a review. We strive to delight our Guests with our service and I am thrilled to know you that overall you had an enjoyable time with us. Please accept our apologies for any maintenance related issues you experienced in your room. I will be passing this information to the appropriate departments for immediate improvements. Please let us know when you'll be visiting us again! Myexperience@troplv.com – Shelby

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Situated at the very south (better) end of the Strip but still a fairly large walk to the main tourist attractions such as Bellagio, Caesars Palace, etc. Good thing is that you can get the Deuce bus which stops right outside the hotel for $8/day which runs 24/7 every 15 minutes to get up the down the strip and stops at all of the hotels, shops and casinos. Definitely opt for this bus as opposed to the tour bus (which does the exact same thing for $37/day). Also worth asking for a room in the tower closer to the Strip right above the lobby and casino. We stayed in the Club Tower which is located right at the far end of the resort and I swear it was at least a good kilometre walk from the lobby/front entrance. Not a pleasant thing to come home to when you're drunk, tired and stumbling in at 4am. Rooms are reasonably sized and staff were generally friendly and helpful. We took a morning flight and they did their best to accommodate our early check in despite it usually being at 3pm. All in all we had a comfortable stay but nothing outstanding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the tower above the lobby/casino.

Diyanti C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us this important feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that our staff was friendly and accommodating and that you found the location of the hotel to be convenient. I hope you'll accept our apologies for not meeting your entire expectations. Next time you are in our area we hope to have the opportunity to make it up to you!
Myexperience@troplv.com -Shelby

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Fortunately the Rate was very good for a Double-room with bath, but then I expect they hope to recoup that shortfall in absurd gambling. The Room was clean, large, well equipped and comfortable. This was the high point.

We arrived in the late afternoon after a long-drive of > 400 miles from Lee Vining, CA and Badwater etc. Found the Hotel, pulled-up and were swamped with people telling where to go etc - think it also referred to as 'Valet parking'.

As we entered through the front door into the lobby, the noise was deafening and the flashing lights an assault on your senses, complemented by the stench of nicotine, and BO. Great start.

We Checked-In with this as the background scene and it alone took an absurd amount of time, but we were tired.

Found our Room, having had to walk right the way through them main gambling hall, bars, fried food dispensaries, etc and to the Lifts - all fresh with that same aroma. In our room, we admired the view of their Car Park and the Main runways off LV International Airport. Fortunately we could not hear neither, nor smell the Lobby, so stayed put.

I should mention that en route to the Lift Shafts we passed a dedicated 'Smoking Room'. This helpfully separated the Smokers from the others, who were all over the place.

We had a quick supper in the Italian Restaurant, which was OK, but we were very hungry and thirsty, then had a drink over the Road at the MGM GRAND.

Retired early.

Breakfast proved an experience or should that read 'ordeal'. Service was appalling - NB it was a Buffet. The background Music was so loud as to make conversation a serious challenge. A polite request for it to be turned-down was derided, claiming that that was a decision for the Management.

Disgusted - we settled our Bill and left.

We can now, at least, tick-the-box, and say "we have been to Vegas" and say that it was one of the worst places I can ever imagine visiting and awe inspiring in its awfulness.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Safariholic,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us this feedback from your recent stay with us. I am terribly sorry to hear that we did not meet your entire expectations, especially in regards to any poor level of service you may have experienced while dining with us. I would love the chance to speak in more detail about your stay, please feel free to reach out to me at Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We requested a double bed room for our children. Upon reaching the room, we discovered that he gave us a wrong room. It was inconvenient to lug many pieces of luggage back to the lobby as it was a very long walk in such a big hotel after checking in late at night. We had to pay a high resort fee of about US$ 20 which is supposed to cover the internet. To our frustration, the WI-FI worked only intermittenly in our room on the first level. On a more positive note, the mattress and pillows were the best quality and the most comfortable. Overall, I wouldn't choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Regina H
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear Regina H,

Thank you for leaving us a review and for providing valuable feedback. We are terribly sorry we were not able to make you and your family feel comfortable during your recent stay and hope you'll give us a chance to make it up to you on your next visit to Vegas, please feel free to reach out to me if you wish to further discuss your stay. We hope to have the chance to better serve you in the future! Myexperience@troplv.com – Shelby

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Had been 3 years since we had stayed at the Trop. The wait has been good to the Trop. Very nice room, clean open , bright. Bathroom was very nice, clean well lite. Casino as bright, not to smoky. All the bartenders were friendly. Wish room had a coffee maker. Got my coffee at the bar first then went to Starbucks and waited in line. Bar coffee was better. Ate at the food court when we checked in (10 pm our time), was just ok- you get a 25%discount with players card.
Tropicana is a good affordable strip casino, easy to do the strip and comfortable to stay in.
Our room was comped. We were in the Paridice Tower

1  Thank Andrew K

Dear Andrew K,

We appreciate the valuable feedback you provided us, Our goal is to meet and exceed our guests' expectations and we are thrilled to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us. Please let us know when you will be visiting again! Myexperience@troplv.com - Shelby

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I have stayed at the Tropicana multiple times over the past five years. Through good and bad as they changed headliners, owners, managers, carpets drapes and just about everything else. As a lover of the history of Vegas, I always excused the Tropicana for it's shortcomings such as airport noise and less than stellar location. This last stay was my ninth stay at the Trop.....and my last.

This past trip was simply poor. From rude check in to being put in a dirty room right beside the elevator and ice machine - and no wi-fi. Cleaners missed our room on the first day. Front desk goofed on our late check out and locked us out of our room. The lack of food choice is now compounded by the increase in the price for the mediocre offerings. For what is provided, the resort fee is simply not justifiable. Especially this last trip when they were the only hotel with the pool closed and locked up. Not even an outdoor space accessible for that few minutes of peace I look forward to when I need to unwind a bit. As an avid gambler I have always gambled at the Trop as well. This past trip that resulted in a run in with security as I was mistaken for someone they believed to be a thief or a crook of some sort. Very bizarre.

Prior to this trip, I have had pretty decent experiences at the Trop. This time there were just too many issues for me to risk staying there in the future. A previous reviewer said that they do not care about repeat customers and this seems to be true in my case as well.

Having stayed at the Paris, the Venetian and the Palazzo, I am aware there are other choices on the strip. I will be exercising that choice the next time I hit the city I love. Trips are way too expensive these days to risk this sort of experience again.

There are a few pros though;
Nice reno
Nice Valet
Love the history of the old girl.
Like the size of the hotel and the quick access from room to casino.
Like being able to cross the parking lot and go to Hooters and the Mad Onion.
Pool is beautiful (when open)

Fortunately the Trop was the only bad part of an otherwise awesome trip. Looking forward to my spring trip. May be time to give the other side of the street a chance.

So in conclusion, it is not normally awful...but it sure was this time. I hope your stay is better than mine.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CanadianFighter
Trop L, Service Excellence at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

IdeasWinnipeg,

I am terribly sorry we were not able to exceed your expectations and unfortunately you experienced some inconveniences as a result of inconsistencies with our service. We strive to show our appreciation for our Guests and I am disappointed to hear we failed to do so with you. I have shared your feedback with our teams to make immediate improvements. I hope you'll give us a chance to make it up to you next time you are in Las Vegas. Myexperience@troplv.com -Shelby