“Tropicana a great value”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #100 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Just completed a four-night stay at Tropicana. The rooms have been recently renovated. The staff was extremly helpful and accommodating to all requests. I liked the smaller size of the hotel, the relaxed, casual atmosphere, and the ammenities were excellent. I will definitely stay at the Tropicana on my next business trip to Las Vegas. Outstanding!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (12,213)

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have stayed at quite a few hiltons including doubletrees. This place is not run or managed well. First, you can see where they spent money trying to fix things, but there is no care or TLC in any of the details. They did not greet me as a hilton honors gold member. There was no upgrade for the Hilton Gold Honors and i was told that everything was "booked" even though their website showed upgraded rooms available for the same period of time. I was given the free breakfast coupons only to find out they are worthless because they have decided to give everyone in the resort a free breakfast buffet.

The rooms were remodeled but only half way. The tub is the original tub and dirty/dingy. And I didn't have any real hot water the whole time i was there. They Give you two free coupons for cookies which you have to track down. They include two 25cent bottles of water as part of your 20/day resort fee even if you are staying say 10 days. There are no fridges or coffee makers in the room. Something I've come to expect from the lowest level of hilton properties. There are stains in the carpet even though the carpets are new.

The beach has been closed indefinitely, and apparently when they reopen it, it will be a private beach for events only.

Overall, they aren't cleaning or fixing things. Even the new things that were just remodeled. The doors have scratches and dings. There are broken tiles and bricks everywhere. The sidewalks are dirty and perhaps never been washed down since the remodel. As a result the majority of the hotel and casino looks empty. Get the picture? I now understand why all of the real hilton grand vacation properties were booked for the same period of time and this hotel wasn't.

I only stayed here for the points and because i vainly thought as a hilton honors gold member i would get some sort of special treatment. The mandalay was cheaper and has much better service and amenities.

I'm not sure how this place comes close to rating 4 stars.

If someone from Hilton reads this and wants help in terms of fixing it up, i'd be more than happy to walk them through the improvements they need to make immediately.

Visited August 2013

Room Tip: Maybe have hilton honors diamond? Gold didn't make any difference.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank AliBaba0101
Mali-TropLV, Service Excellence Team at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Alibaba,
Thank you for your feedback and for all your great suggestions! We are constantly working towards improving our beautiful property and your comments help us identify areas where we can improve even more. You are correct, our Beach Club is now the only venue in town available be rented for private parties rather than operated as a day club. The inside portion if you didn't get to see, is a fantastic gorgeous brand new state-of-the-art venue that will also host private parties for up to 500 guests.
We hope you'll stop by when in Vegas again so we can show you all the new projects we are working on! Mali C. - Myexperience@troplv.com

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Got a great price for a quality stay. Pool was great and nice and cold. Felt great in the 100+ degree temps. Hotel people were nice, unlike what was mentioned by others. As a Diamond member, the breakfast was one of the best ever. Great family place on the southern part of the strip. Pizza in the food court was very good!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Woodman1127
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel and was pleasantly surprised by the overall appearance and the staff. One person stood out. His name is Anthony Butrico a pit boss there. Every time I walked pass or play at the tables he was always polite and very professional. He is a asset to this Hotel. The new owners have done a great job refurbishing the Hotel. The rooms are clean and well kept. I would highly recommend this Hotel anyone who might be staying in Las Vegas in the future. I will always stay there when I go again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Stan Z
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Some old properties have a retro charm. This property is just...old.

My wife and I stayed here for several days last week and we left wishing we had selected another hotel. It may have been better if we were smokers, but for us, the pervasive stench of stale smoke that greeted us even before we stepped foot in the lobby was stomach-turning. My wife is asthmatic, and I am not, but both of us were gasping before we hit the elevators. Except for a few tucked-away places on the first floor, there is no place on the casino floor where one can escape cigarette smoke.

When we entered our room, which was always clean and odor-free, we were constantly plagued by the dripping of a broken tub faucet. That is inexcusable on a budget motel much less a Hilton.

Two out of four nights, I was awoken by drunken screaming at 4am local. I couldn't tell whether the screaming was coming from next door or outside and was too exhausted to complain.

Drinks are outrageously overpriced. You are better off bringing your own bottle in.

Desk staff were appropriately dressed, polite and helpful. Of course, you have to fight your way through clouds of smoke to get there.

You are better off either going full-on budget in Vegas or full-on high class.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 6079513Peter

Dear 6079513Peter,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I thank you for your comments and please know that we are constantly monitoring the air quality in our Casino for the comfort of our non-smoking guests. I hope that when you are in Las Vegas, you’ll come to visit us. Mali C. – Myexperience@troplv.com

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Tropicana for 8 days and the Hotel is excellent. I stayed through "Convention Sales" and they did a great job for the entire group. Hotel is clean, friendly and fun!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I went for Memorial weekend (4 ngiht stay) with my gf. i am silver HHonors member and used some points and cash for 2 nights and cash for the other 2 nights. I would give this place a 5 star rating if it werent for the fact that

a) while standing in Hhonors line for check in- staff just let people cut in line as they didnt want to stand behind the 5 people line trying to check in. not to mention the regular line was moving twice as fast then the shorter Hhonors line.

B) 2 of the 3 days I was at the hotel I didnt get room service in the morning and when I called to report it and asked for towels at 10:30 at night, I was told they would stop by at 11:30. I called back before 12midnight to ask where the towels where and they finally showed up till 1 am...

3) I was upgraded to one of the bungalow rooms for free but room was beautiful but the sheet felt cheap and plastic. My gf had a problem with them and was complaining about i taught this was a Hilton not a motel 6

I would love to recommend the tropicana hotel to other and would like to go back and stay but unless service is better its not worth the price

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Stevejr2013G,
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay. Your comments help us see the areas where we have room for improvement. We truly hope you’ll come to see us again too! When you plan to visit Las Vegas please contact me at Myexperience@troplv.com so we can make sure we improve on your impression of us! Mali C. – Myexperience@troplv.com