“Very Nice Renovations” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #95 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Kankakee, Illinois
“Very Nice Renovations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

The hotel looks very nice now... All new interior and paint, etc... The Casino furniture (tables, chairs, bars) looks all new too.

Do not forget about the $20 "Resort Fee", so stupid... Most hotels are now applying this after the room has been booked. So when you get a rate of $100, it's really costing you $120. They tell you the Fee goes towards all kinds of stuff, but when you read the fine print, everything it "entitles" you to is worthless (except free-wifi).

I like the location, because it's near MGM Grand, Mandalay and NY-NY.

Room Tip: Just ask to be as close to the casino as you can. Otherwise you will be placed SUPER FAR away, we f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,631)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Whiteriver, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is our first time at this property we do not frequent Vegas but this is a great place to stay very warm and inviting not over glitzy like many places. The check in was easy as I am a Hilton honors member. We were upgraded to a mini suite. If we come back would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed at the Tropicana as a participant of a conference in July 2013. I have stayed in many hotels in Las Vegas and this hotel is nice but there were several things that I found annoying. I stayed in the Club Tower (quite a distance from the casino - annoying) and was assigned to the 10th floor. I requested a higher floor and was accommodated to the 17th floor. I was staying alone so I requested a room with a King bed, which faced the desert/airport. I have had the Strip view in the past so it was no big deal not having this view. I later moved to a room with two queen beds across the hall (a friend joined me for a weekend visit) and of the two rooms, this was bigger. The room change was very easy and for that I am grateful! Both rooms were comfortable except the carpet in the King room was soiled. The rooms do not have a coffee maker (annoying) and the water was never hot in the mornings (annoying). I like hot water for shaving! On the weekends at about 11:30 am the hotel pool area starts playing music (really annoying!) that can be heard on the 17th floor. If you are exhausted from the previous day don't plan on any sleep/rest between 11:00 am to 7 pm the music is loud enough to wake the dead. I did like the casino although I was up and down during the entire stay and finally down. They have some of the latest slot machines and there is an intimacy you don't find at some of the bigger casinos. The waitresses were abundant and I was repeatedly asked if I would like a drink. I typically always have a car rental when I travel and I had no problem parking (the Tropicana Ave outside parking is much closer than the garage parking off Las Vegas Blvd.). This is typically not a problem and maybe I am being a little snotty with this comment... but I found the lack of live plants very annoying. I hate plastic plants and they are in abundance at the Tropicana. I only ate at the Beach Cafe and the food was okay. Overall I would visit the casino again but I have stayed at better hotels in Vegas where I was not annoyed. I would only stay there again if I had a great rate - for the money I paid to stay at the Tropicana during this stay I should not have been annoyed as I was...

Room Tip: You might escape the pool music if you stay in a King room in the Club Tower. King rooms have a dese...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Absurdly long wait to check in, up to a hour. However, Hilton honors guests have a separate line. Also, tour group guides can do a fast group check in. Hey management, hire more front desk clerks to check people in! Room was spacious, very clean. No free WiFi, except in the lobby, unless you pay their idiotic resort fee. However, the free lobby WiFi was exceptionally fast. Had loud drunks in hallway late at night, but security put a fast stop to that. We were short towels in the room, but housekeeping delivered more to our room within minutes of our phone request. Very courteous housekeepers. We found it interesting that people were gambling and drinking at 7 A.M. in the morning down in the casino. Great location, right on the strip! Lots of action. The hotel has a food court with reasonable prices, or you can eat at the restaurant where the food was great and had reasonable prices. Door man was courteous and quickly called a taxi for us and did not have his hand out for a tip. Ride to airport costs $10 and takes about ten minutes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cruiser100
Hampshire, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

I believe this hotel is the best value on the strip. Very close to walkways and tram at MGM. Rooms renovated and clean. Plenty of elevators. Only bad thing, be prepared to walk a lot if staying in club tower. Pool was nice, lots of chairs and room to spread out. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ddwz2003
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We did a priceline bid on this room, and it just happened to be super close to the Intl airport as well. We were upgraded to a room with a view, didn't have to ask, they offered. King Size bed. There is a resort fee of approx. $20 per room, but still a great deal. We enjoyed the pool, had lots of room (compared to other Vegas hotels we'd stayed at). Rooms were older, but still nice, very clean. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tony W
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed during the 4th of July weekend for a friend's wedding. And I had issue, after issue. Starting with a room that smelled like it hadn't been cleaned since the Reagan years, a broken AC, yes in the 100+ temps, I was placed in a room without properly working AC and last but not least carpet beetle on my beds. The only saving grace of the place is the Spa, which is managed separately, they are AMAZING:-) Worth every penny, wish I could say the same about the hotel. I wasn't planning on writing a review, but after trying to get in contact with management while there and after, I felt this is clearly the only way to address and get a response on poor service, poor quality and the WORST customer issue follow-up ever. To their credit when I called after getting home I was told my resort fee was refunded (still waiting for check). Either way, for me a resort refund is welcomed, but it merely swipes the issue under the rug without addressing the much bigger issues. So, if your lucky and you have no issues thank God , enjoy your trip. However, if you're one of the unlucky ones, such as myself, AC, miss appointments because check-in took an hour+, get issued a smelly room, and have carpet bugs, good luck trying to get management to truly care or take ownership of the problem. If you care about good customer service and follow-up, I recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kim99518
Adam A, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We are sorry we did not provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel We would like to sincerely apologize for the issues in your room and we are working with our Engineering and Housekeeping Team to ensure this situation does not happen again. Please feel free to reach out to me so we can make amends for your past stay.
Adam Abundis