“Classy and Clean”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #101 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We visited Las Vegas recently for one night. I loved the style and sparkle of the Tropicana hotel. Our room was spotless, quiet and had a wonderful view of the strip. A relaxing retreat was found at the hotel's pool that exceeded expectations.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We normally stay in another hotel but thought we would try this one for a change. It's location is perfect, at the very top of the strip and the bus stop is right outside. The interior is very different from a lot of the casinos in Vegas which are dark inside, the Tropicana is bright white outside and nice and bright inside. The pool and grounds are beautiful.

The room had a bath, I love this as a lot of the hotels are showers only (from my experience), the room is a good size with a lounger, double bed, tv and safe. We would definitely stay here again.

You get a two for one deal on show tickets as guests for things like the mob attraction, laughter factory etc.

The staff were very attentive, helpful and always friendly.

The only thing possibly an issue is the check in desk had very few staff on and a big line present, although there is a fast check out option. I did miss having a buffet in the hotel but Excalibur is just across the bridge as is MGM which both offer buffets.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our room was well back from the casino, so we weren't bothered with any noise. The room itself was of average size, very clean with no smell of stale cigarettes at all. We were warned that the close proximity to the airport might cause a noise problem, but, in seven nights we might have heard one airplane. The hotel is positioned at the southern end of the strip, very close to MGM. Overall, it was a very nice hotel to stay in.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Las Vegas Hotels generally fall within two categories: new, exciting, cool; or old, crabby and avoid at all costs. (it often doesn't take too many years to switch from the first to the second!). Unlike some UGH older properties, Hilton has renovated the Tropicana under its DoubleTree brand and it looks, smells and feels refreshed and worthy. I was upgraded (as a HiltonHonors Gold member) to a room in the close-to-front tower, which was great -- I didn't have to walk 20 minutes through the casino to get to my room. Room was clean and better than most 'average' hotels in Vegas. Minor peeves: toiletries were blah; Doubletree's famous cookie wasn't available at front desk and but had to be retrieved 400 yards away at a shop (which was closed when i checked in at 10 pm). Major peeve: I attempted to use the fitness facility (not impressive anyway) on my final day but was turned about from using the changing facilities unless I paid the spa $18. I was under the impression that my $20 day "resort fee" would cover not only the sparse equipment but a place for me to change. Not so. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank brucemag
Reviewed June 26, 2013

It was my second stay at the Trop and propably the last. The pro's are: cheap prices, very good food at the Beach Cafe, nice pool and its location vis-a-vis MGM and New York New York. This time my negative experiences were predominating. At the beginning: the check-in line was tremendous and only two (!) employees were dealing with a line of about 40 people. Our room was in the Club Tower at level 16 with view to the airport. The room itself was OK with a comfy king bed. But: the hotel is marketing itself with its "recent renovations - all new at the Trop". Seems not so for the bathroom. It was worn-out and not very clean. But my biggest issue was the WIFI: it was only working from time to time. I informed front desk and a very nice lady immediately killed the ressort fee from my bill. She told me that the hotel is well aware about the poor WIFI, but these are technical problem with the wireless network which the hotel management is not able to sort out yet. So overall: nice staff and low prices but poor quality in rooms and bad Wifi.

Room Tip: uneven room numbers at the club tower are with view on the strip
1  Thank nobby_solano
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I remember staying across the strip at The Mandalay years ago and walking through this hotel where I had some friends staying. In those day I remember that my impressions of the place was that it was old, kind of run down and smokey, but that the pool grounds seemed pretty cool with a large pool area and even a neat in-pool bar with blackjack area for guests who wanted to play while sitting in the pool. Other than that though I wasn't impressed.

Fast forward to last week and this place is nothing like what it used to be. The new owners spent 200+ million dollars renovating it and did an exceptional job with every facet of the remodel.

My wife and I accompanied my parents (who had been comped a room there) for my dad's 75th birthday and we arrived at The Tropicana around 11:15 am from Santa Barbara. The rooms were not ready yet but they took our information and said that when we came back in a couple of hours our rooms would be ready and they had us on the 20th floor as we had requested a high room. Imagine my surprise when we returned to find that they had upgraded both our rooms one bedroom suites! That was just the start of many pleasant surprises during our stay

Impressions were that the rooms were large, tastefully decorated with excellent attention to detail. In fact the whole hotel exudes a bright cheerful layout that extends to the friendliness of all the employees we encountered. High quality materials were used throughout the rooms and that included the wallpaper, plantation style shutters on all the windows, the art hanging on the walls and even the lamp shades where of a high quality . Plenty of room in the bathroom as well and a nice bar set up in the living room. These one bedroom suites were much larger than the standard rooms at our favorite go to spot,The Palazzo and while not as opulent or elegant as The Palazzo it had definitely had a touch of sophistication and was just really clean and inviting. In fact the whole layout was like Miami beach kind of. It didn't hurt that it was also much cheaper than the Palazzo which is nice if you feel like you're getting great value for your dollar, which we were. I video's the Suite and posted in on Youtube. Just search for TheVicNeumann and you should be able to see the video of what the room looked like.

I went in with a little bit of trepidation, thinking it would be a lower quality hotel than I was used to, and I came away very impressed with the whole place.

Highlights were the pool area, clean large and never a problem finding a seat. The Biscayne Steakhouse and the Beach Cafe for breakfasts and lunches, and even the South Beach food court where you can get gelatto, pizza's burgers, and sandwhiches.

I also enjoyed The Mob Attraction which was an interactive Museum in the hotel on the history of organized crime in Las Vegas where you actually interacted with actors playing the part of gangsters and cops and depending on how you interacted with them you were either Shot at the end (actually pretty cool) or made into a "made man".

All in all I surprised myself by liking everything about the place; from location on the strip to the layouts of the suites and the bright casino's. In fact while it won't replace the Palazzo as my favorite spot on the strip for now, I could easily see myself staying there again and have to say that this hotel has moved up to become a new favorite of mine on the Vegas strip.

TIp: I'm a pool person so I called ahead and found out that if you're going to be spending a lot of time there then the 2nd Club Tower is the one to stay in. It's about a 5-7 minute walk to the back of the property but I liked that it was a little removed from the direct casino with an easy walk to the restaurants

Room Tip: Club Tower rooms are set to the back of the property and offer direct access to the pool. Paradise T...
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days from June 17-21 after spending 4 dasy hiking and camping in the Grand Canyon. I did my reserach and initially this hotel was not on my radar, but a 24 hour sale on Expedia gave us a deal we couldnt refuse. We are not fussy, as long as its clean, has a few amenities and the location is good, we are happy.
The hotel is pretty much as advertised. Its at Las Vegas Blvd and Tropicana, close to NYNY, MGM, Luxor and Excalibur. A bit of a walk down the strip to where all the action is, especially in th heat and with the crowds.
Rooms were clean and comforatable, very quiet, no noise at all. We were in the club tower. Big complaint is the long walk to the elevators from the rest of the casino. I know this one of the smaller hotels and walking is common in Vegas, but, do this 3 or 4 times a day and you notice it.
The pool and service was great, shade if you want it, music as ok. A nice little oasis.
Our other concern was the lack of bars and restaurants, we found we had to go out a lot to eat. Just not much selection and options. I'd rather drop most of my money where i stay, but i found that i spent mostly elsewhere.
The vibe in the casino is a bit quiet, we are early 40's, like to do it up, but werent on this trip, but the casino lacked substance. Not sure if its the bright lighting and decor, it just lacked a Vegas pizzaz. Maybe this is what the Trop is aimimg for, and if that not a prblem for you, enjoy.
One last thing, i read a lot of reviews about the lack of front desk coverage, and i have to say it is true. I never saw more than 3 employees there all week. Our check in was around 5 on a Monday and i was still stuck in a lineup for over half and hour. Not a great first impression, especially when you have just arrived in the heat and looking to drop your bags.
In a whole, nice hotel, depending on what you are looking for. We wont stay again, too many other options centrally located in strip, but if you get a good deal, dont shy away from it if all the things i mention dont matter.

2  Thank clydesowner2003