Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #98 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I usually stay at the higher-end Strip properties (Venetian/Palazzo, Wynn/Encore, Bellagio, etc.). The last time we had stepped foot in the Trop was about 10 years ago and it was pretty run-down. Now a new owner has made about $200 million worth of renovations and we were quite surprised when we decided to walk through last year: it was bright, airy (even with the old-style low ceiling in the casino, thanks to some interior design tricks), and had a cheerful, casual-but-well-kept appearance. We did a little slot gambling, ate a light dinner at the “Beach Cafe”, and decided we should try the Trop for our next trip.

We stayed mid-week in early May. We were checked in by a smiling, pleasant front desk person. This turned out to be a common theme with virtually every employee we came in contact with: cheerful, pleasant, and seemingly genuinely interested in our stay without being obsequious. I would love to find out how management is motivating the employees so I could apply the concepts to my own staff.

We received our key cards (20th floor, Club Tower) and proceeded to the elevators. The elevator bank was what I’ll call “semi intelligent:” the up/down light of the car that was coming to get you would light well before the car actually arrived so you knew which door to stand next to. Great idea, I wish some of the other Strip properties would do that (particularly Venetian, whose elevators always seem to take forever).

We reserved a “Club Suite” (~800 sq ft, bedroom w/chaise lounge, living room with couch & dry bar with coffee maker and fridge, safe, dual bathroom sinks, and shower (no bathtub). Our room was as advertised, clean and well-maintained. Sound insulation, water temperature, and water pressure were good. The King-Size bed was excellent. Two closets (one by the front door and one next to the bedroom) were more than enough to accommodate our luggage and clothes. The windows were not floor-to-ceiling but certainly large enough for letting in the sunshine and “sightseeing.” And, surprisingly, the windows opened slightly to let the fresh air in if we wished. However we did discover that our windows were part of a building wrap sign so there was a screen that detracted from the view a bit.

In the casino there was a reasonable selection of slots. The minimums for table games were quite low, $5 to $10 (but the “high limit” room had better rules including Blackjack with stand on soft 17, DAS, RSA, and surrender). I have an admittedly odd way of gauging the drink service (and service in general) in a casino: I initially order lemonade. I have found this “throws them a curve ball” for some reason. I have previously been turned down (at Wynn: “we don’t offer that”) or given inconsistent product (Venetian). Tropicana handled it well: it was neither too sweet nor too tart and quite refreshing.

Food service from the three sit-down restaurants was good: maybe not the widest selection (no novel-sized menu like at Grand Lux Cafe) but the quality was excellent. In fact I had a couple meals that could hold its own against any of the high-end Strip eateries. One server in particular (Dante) was especially helpful.

So what do I think of the “new” Tropicana? It’s a solid value, mid-tier Strip property with a great location; employees who are cheerful, pleasant, and motivated; and gaming that should be acceptable to almost anyone. I would have no problem with a return visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mantic59
There are newer reviews for Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My friend and I really enjoyed our recent stay at Tropicana, but what made the trip even better was the reception we received from the two bartenders at the hotel bar. Jan and Di always greeted us with a smiling face and provided great conversation :). They were also helpful in helping us Vegas rookies navigate the bar scene at night. I'll go back based solely on my experience with these two great people :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

For the price of room at this hotel, you'll end up saving some cash for fine dining or shopping. Location is fine, just across the road from the main strip. The hotel is old but has had a major facelift which makes for comfortable rooms. The casino however is a total disappointment, outdated with terrible lighting and vibe. We actually donated our cash to the nicer casinos in Encore and Aria. You'll get exactly what you pay for and nothing more.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Violet2009
Adam A, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Thank you for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback about the casino and are actively working to improve it. The next time you are in Las Vegas, we would love to have you back. Adam Abundis | myexperience@troplv.com

Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had so much fun playing Blackjack (tables) with Ned and Yanelys!!! We had a big group of 15 people. Some of us were new to Blackjack. Ned and Yanelys gave great tips to the newbies! It was so fun that we kept returning for two more nights. They were both super friendly and made our experience the best!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Graftoncindy
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed at the Tropicana for one night and loved it! The rooms were very clean and furnished nicely. The bed was comfortable too. The hotel is small and easy to navigate. For the price paid on a Saturday night I considered this a great deal. I used the pool and even though it was small it wasn't that crowded and the drink service was attentive. I will definitely be back in the future! The only thing I was disappointed with was breakfast. The waitress talked me into getting the buffet instead of ordering off the menu at the Beach café and everything was cold and terrible! I was going to order pancakes and she for the same price you can have the buffet...$18.99? Pancakes were only $10. I assumed the breakfast buffet was around $12. My advice...skip the breakfast buffet and order off the menu if you like your food hot. Other than that I had a great stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: The Bungalow rooms have a small balcony and are small but completely updated and easy to access!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank bluemargarita59
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Loved the selection of yogurt and gelato ! They have very nice techniques and get very creative when shaping the ice cream that it didn't even look real ! (: I was amazed. I watches the short brown haired girl who worked there shape it one morning and she was pretty good let me tell ya. I stayed on the strip with a group of my girlfriends and we loved the Naked Spoon, good yogurt and good ice cream and a friendly staff , I'll be back thats for sure!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank malinarochelle
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here recently whilst visiting Vegas, the hotel had been booked by the travel agent and was a little concerned reading reviews before we arrived however I was surprised. The room was clean, although the air conditioning was noisy when turned up. The plumbing in the morning shook the pipes so much we thought they would fall off the wall. The beds were clean and comfortable and the complementary water and cookies very welcoming. The breakfast buffet was chaotic, only whipped butter for toast and had to ask twice for milk for tea, wouldn't bother with breakfast again although had a good evening meal with very attentive service and bottomless drinks. The pool area was amazing and after looking at some of the others while visiting other hotels I would go as far as say the best we saw in Vegas. The room at night was noisy but that was due to the sirens going all night along the strip. Well located for the southern end but a long way from down town. Very close to the airport and so taxis to and from the airport cheap, average $16. Was shocked on departure that they tried to charge us a resort fee that should have been waived as per the hotel voucher that we submitted on check-in, to be fair they didn't charge on this visit. Able to leave our cases on check out until it was time to go to the airport. All in all I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple