“Nice clean room”

Ranked #97 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Columbia, South Carolina
“Nice clean room”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights from SC for my grandmothers 90th birthday. The reviews are right on trip advisor, it is a hike to the tower rooms from the casino, but it's worth the hike because you are away from the loud smokey casino and can sleep at night! Our room was clean we had a very soft bed, wish we would of had a fridge, so we walked to Walgreens and bought 3 styrofoam coolers and bought beer, water, and snacks and used that the whole time, it worked! The housekeeping ladies were very nice and helpful. The Starbucks on bottom floor by the tower elevators was very helpful each morning also! The casino was kinda small and smelled really smokey so we went to other casinos the whole time. But the hotel itself was worth it. We ate different places the whole time so I can't review any restaurants for the Trop.... The pool was kinda small and not many people. The other half was closed, kinda lame actually! But other than that we slept well and had a quiet room and no loud neighbors! Maybe stay here again but we will see....

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank HallieD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,665)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Vancouver
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Sunday morning be prepared for the music to start at the pool at 8am. The music bounces off the walls of the hotel to prepare you for the day. It enters your room to ensure you have the Tropicana experience.I had the wonderful experience to awaken to Van Halen at 8am Sunday morning.

Be aware that your room won't be cleaned everyday. You must request that your room be cleaned. Bed made, fresh towels etc. They do expect you to pay the strip price. But offer the off strip monthly service. The concierge confirms that they clean it usually every second or so day if you stay beyond a night. Too bad it is not disclosed on the web site before you purchase.

Request a fridge for keeping your medicine cool? Be prepared to almost have your medicine go void before they get it too you. 3 requests over 6 hours to get one. I think they must be on a budget of hiring staff. That way they can give you the $200. This in only 1.5 days of being here. I can't imagine what the next 3 more days will be.

Room Tip: Pick a Bungalow with pool view to ensure that you experience the 8am music to it's fullest value...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank mrfordx
Adam A, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear mrfordx,
Please accept our apologies for not currently meeting your expectations. I can assure you that it is our goal to meet and exceed the expectations of every guest. I have forwarded your comments to our Housekeeping Team so we can correct this issue immediately. We are committed to resolving any issue that is brought to our attention, so please contact me at your earliest convenience so we can make amends for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. Adam Abundis | myexpereince@troplv.com
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I just finished a stay at the newly refinished Tropicana Hotel and I was impressed. The remodeled rooms were very nice, fresh and modern in decor. This is one of the oldest hotels on the south end of the Las Vegas strip, but after a remodeling it looks like one of the newest. I found the staff to be friendly and courteous and helpful. They wouldn't just point you in the right direction, they would make sure you found what you were looking for by taking you there. In the casino I am not a high roller but I found plenty of low limit table games and low limit craps tables to keep me playing. The pool area was a little loud with the music but due to the building configuration we had sun all day long. My friends and I spent a couple days at the new "Bagatelle" pool. This new pool area has loud music as well as nicely furnished cabanas, bottle service, sand volleyball courts and friendly staff ready to take care of all your needs. Since my friends and I were here for fun, our casino host Mark B. took very good care of us. It was a level of service I really didn't expect as no one in the group was a real high roller. I on.y come to Las Vegas once or twice a year and I am happy to have stayed here as now I will have a place to consistently stay when I am back in Las Vegas.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Andrew177
East Maitland, Australia
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Had 4 nights here and found it to be a great location and very comfortable. Room was nice, bed comfy and location was tops!. Wished I had longer but was there to support my daughter and her team mates competing in Jamfest. Will be back!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank young36
Columbia, SC
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed at the Tropicana for 5 days for a conference. I had previously stayed there almost 2 years ago. It is at the end of the strip across from MGM Grand, so can be a walk to the other end of the strip. While it is only about 2 miles straight to the Venetian, it is really a lot more because you can't just walk straight down the street. You have to take a lot of "detours" off the strip, through other casinos, etc. If you plan to visit a lot of the casinos/resorts, mid-strip could be better if walking is not your style. We do not mind walking, so it was fine for us. There are several escalators and walkways across the strip that make crossing easy and are very much appreciated. Be aware that while we were there, some of them were not working and I suspect that happens often, and you must walk the stairs. There are elevators nearby too though, so, no worries! You WILL get your exercise walking the strip! Busses run along the strip as well, but we did not take them, nor did we take the main Monorail. We did use some of the free casino trams/monorails. One runs between Excalibur, Luxor and Mandalay Bay. Another runs between Monte Carlo and Aria, maybe Caesars, I can't remember. And there is also one from Mirage to TI.

We had a room with double beds and they were very comfortable. Our room was nice, updated and kept very clean. "Free" wi-fi comes in the rooms (but was not in all the convention room areas, go figure??), but really is not free as there is a daily resort fee that covers it. I don't know why hotels just don't do away with this stupid resort fee thing and add it all into the cost of the room. It's the same thing..... Just figure whatever your room rate, add $20.00 a day to that! Trop is not the only one that does this, they all do, not sure what their objective is.

We stayed at the Luxor for 2 days prior to the Tropicana stay. They also had the infamous resort fee! Both hotels were pretty much comparable as far as room comfort, but there was more space in the Luxor room as far as desk space. There was a table, desk and vanity area. Tropicana only had one space, desk space. The room at Luxor was dark though, and more light at Tropicana, so did prefer that. It was quieter in the room at Luxor though. Our room at Tropicana overlooked the pool. We were on the 18th floor, but they played ridiculously loud music all afternoon Friday, until about 6:00pm, sounded like it was right there in our room. This alone would keep my husband form staying there in the future. I am not sure if it was quieter if you had an airport view, which would not be a great view! Was also a private event the evening before with Hewey Lewis and the News until about 11:00pm in the pool area. Didn't mind that so much, but could have done without the loud pool music. Not sure how anyone down there could hear after leaving that area! So, there were pros and cons with each room.

Be aware there are no coffee makers in the room. We don't drink coffee, so no issue for us. They prefer people buy the expensive Starbucks in the lobby. Some of our friends were creative and brought their own inexpensive coffee makers. You might could even pick one up at CVS or Walgreens within walking distance (just leave it behind when you leave if luggage space is an issue, still cheaper than starbucks every day!).You can also get snacks, water, liqour, sandwiches, etc, at those drug stores. There are also no refrigerators/microwaves, just so you'll know. There is a safe, hair dryer, clock and iron/board. The bathroom was a good size and plenty of light, sink area is inside the bathroom, at least in our room, which was in the Club tower, at the back of the hotel. It is a long walk from the front of the hotel to the Club Tower, so just be aware of that, though it did not bother us. If walking is an issue, ask for a Paradise Tower room. Amenities in the bathroom were bar soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. There were also 2 small bottles of water the first day. It does not get replenished, even though you pay same price every day. Water is supposedly part of the resort fee you pay every day......

Not a lot of food options at Tropicana and service is slow, even at the deli. Food is good though. You can also buy sandwiches and snacks at a gift shop off the lobby, fairly inexpensive. We went over to MGM, which was about a 5 minute walk, for their lunch buffet. It was $19.99 and has a great variety of meats, veggies, mexican, breakfast foods, desserts and included champagne and Mimosas. I think you get a discount if you get a players card from the casino, which is free. A lunch buffet at the Tropicana restaurant was about $17.99 but was deli meat/make own sandwich, salads and soup. For a couple dollars more, you could get a full meal across the street. We chose to eat big at lunch and smaller meal or snacks for supper. But, we are not "foodies". DO NOT go to Luxor or Excalibur for their buffets. We made that mistake our first day because we were tired from traveling and wanted to eat in the hotel. It was $17.99 for lunch and was no variety and barely any meats offered. It was bad! And that comes from someone who is not a foodie! Don't waste your money there.....

We flew in but there is free parking, as there is at most strip hotels I think.

We do not gamble, so sorry, did not make any money off of us there! You could smell smoke in this casino too. We do like to "casino hop", just to see what they all have to offer. We also like the shows, though we did not attend any this trip because of my conference. We heard from others that Terry Fater was great and we have seen enough Cirque shows to know they are also great.

All of the staff we encountered at the Tropicana were very nice, friendly and helpful. Check-in was a little slow and that was when there was not a huge crowd. Not sure how long it takes if there is a crowd. We were given someone else's room when we checked in (opened the door and went in to a room full of stuff), but they were apologetic and quickly gave us another room when I went back to the front desk. They said people had checked out, but I still think Housekeeping would have to give an "all clear" before a room was rented out. Anyway, we are honest people and no one was in the room to be alarmed by our entrance, so it worked out OK. I will say the elevators are fast and we never had to wait long. That was a plus for so many floors/rooms.

Overall, it was not a bad stay. Did not care for the loud music at the pool, which definitely left a bad taste in my husband's mouth. Would we stay here again? Not sure, definitely not with a pool room! We have stayed in several different hotels on the strip over the years, and all have pros/cons. None have been bad enough that we would not stay again, but might try something else next time as there also was nothing here that would overwhelmingly bring us back. If the price were better, which wasn't this trip and only stayed because of conference (Luxor was $65.00 with resort fee per week night, and Trop was $99.00, including resort fee, conference rate). Lower rate might sway us. Otherwise, will probably try something else just to see what else is out there, especially if we could get a better rate.

Room Tip: If walking is an issue, choose a Paradise Tower room. Do not choose pool view room if loud noise wou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank bingo3
South River, New Jersey, Usa
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Great service.Front desk and bell hop staff very courteous and knowledgeable. Facility is clean. Have to walk through casino to elevators. Elevators arrive very quickly. Room was clean and large enough. Shower head is too low anyone over 5'6" and tub drains very slowly. Bed mattress was too soft and sagged in the middle.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank droshetar
Naples, Florida
Reviewed May 4, 2013

The last time I saw the Tropicana, it was sad and beat up. Not so anymore. Updated, clean, painted and the rooms were fabulous. The bed and linens were 5 stars, super comfortable and sleeping there was a dream. The TV was super high quality and HUGE. I hate it when people say the TV doesn't matter. It does. Everything about the room was wonderful and there were no complaints. The staff was also exceptional. Friendly and always willing to walk us to the right location, chat along the way, and weren't just being gracious for tips. They work hard and most people don't tip well, so I was impressed with all of them from the valet to the front desk. The casino was fun and had my favorite machines. We also attended the Mob Attraction there and it too was wondrous. Amazingly done. The actors were splendid and you are involved in the whole thing. Very educational as well even though the subject matter was a bit strange.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends