“Good time awesome pool”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #100 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
“Good time awesome pool”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

It was my 1st time staying at tropicana and I was impressed with the rooms and the pool. The front desk and check in was quite long but we were requesting adjoining rooms. Yolanda hooked us up with that but we had to wait a little while for the second room. not really a big deal we were happy they accommodated our request.The pool area was fun don't plan on being able to bring your own drinks and pool hours were only 9 to 6. Location was a bit of a negative I prefer center strip personally. Cab rides each way to center strip are around 15. I was extremely disappointed that bills gambling hall and oshea's were closed. Bills is supposedly under renovation but those were some of my favorite places to gamble. I had a good time instead at the casino royale and mirage as well as a few downtown. overall tropicana had nice big rooms. Bathroom was also large but taller people might not like the height of the shower head. I would definitely stay here again if the price was right. Just keep in mind the cab fare aspect and the pesky resort fee they tack on 20/day.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank pange411

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,689)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The transition of the Tropicana into a hint of South Beach on the Strip is mostly successful as long as you don't look too close. The vibe of the guests was more Del Boca Vista than Miami, though, at least during my weekday stay. The rooms are big, brightly furnished with plenty of light from large windows with easy to open plantation shutters. The bathroom more readily showed the age of the hotel, but was acceptable and clean.

My interactions with the staff were positive. I was able to check in early and check out late without an extra fee on either end (despite my willingness to pay). While apparently not formally a Hilton property, the Tropicana does participate in the Hilton HHonors program so be sure to bring your card to be able to use the short check-in line for HHonors members and get points for your stay.

The pool areas were thumping with music so loud on the weekends that the shutters rattled in my 17th floor room overlooking the pool. That shuts down relatively early in the evening though so it'll only be a problem if you expect to sleep during the day.

The two primary fine restaurants were good enough. Despite large signs depicting Biscayne Steakhouse as the #1 on TripAdvisor, my meal was just so-so for the price and the waiter was almost comically unable to explain anything on the menu. The Italian options at the adjacent Bacio was much better.

The casino is surprisingly small and felt a lot less smokey than most although I wasn't there long enough to know if that was just by chance or good design. I was surprised, though that on several occasions there were so few tables open that guests who wanted to play simply couldn't find room. Where else on the strip could you possibly find it impossible to play in the casino on a Tuesday night?

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pool for quieter days. The club tower is more convenient if you are attendi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cb4444
Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business this week. Pool area was nice, was able to get a chair fairly easily. Room service was decent, speedy. Staff was friendly. Room (club tower) smelled of stale cigarette smoke. Felt like all my clothing reeked of smoke. I liked the smaller casino, but overall I was not a fan of this property and will choose TI or Mirage in the future.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank HeatherPA
Adam A, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear HeatherPA ,
Thank you for reviewing your experience with our resort. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful pool and that you were pleased with our responsive guest service. I do apologize that your room in our Club Tower was not to your liking. I have passed your comments to our Housekeeping Team so we can take proactive steps to freshen our guestrooms. We would be so grateful if you could give us another opportunity to make up for any inconsistencies that you experienced during your most recent stay. Please contact me when you are planning your next trip to Las Vegas. Adam Abundis | myexperience@troplv.com
Fremont, United States
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Great value for the price. Recently renovated rooms are nice and open. Casino is not overwhelming big and has a nice selection of games. Easy to get around the hotel versus some of the larger hotels on the strip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Summerland, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We go to Las Vegas twice a year and love staying at the Tropicana. Not anymore! We had to wait in line when arrived while staff members visited in plain sight of us but didn't help anybody. Finally when we go to the desk the staff member was rude, wouldn't give us the room we had paid for, wanted me to pay an upgrade for the room I had already paid for even though my room conformation clearly showed I had paid for a City View room in the Paradise Tower. The staff member told me he was obviously not going to just give me that room because they didn't just give people upgrades for free and wanted to give me a basic room in the club tower instead. It's Vegas who has ever heard of a hotel trying to give you a downgrade! Four phone calls later it was settled but the staff I dealt with always treated me the same which was very poorly and I was told it was my fault each time because I had used a travel site instead of booking with the hotel directly so I should expect what I got. Then the noise! There was renovations on the floor above us every morning non stop hammering at 7am. It's Vegas you're out late with no hope of sleeping in because the construction noise was non stop, we even got scared awake one morning because there was a huge boom which caused our beds to shake. The housekeeping was terrible, they didn't even bother to clean our room one of the days. As you walked to and from the hotel everyday there were people handing out public service announcemnets regarding the health code violations that the various restaurants in the hotel had been charged with. I've always loved the Tropicana but we had such a horrible trip I can't say I will ever go back especially since I was treated so poorly by the desk clerks.

Room Tip: Paradise Tower is so close to the enterance of the hotel it's nice not to have a long walk.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Luvz_Vegas_25
Adam A, Service Excellence Team at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Luvz_Vegas_25,
I want to sincerely apologize for the confusion regarding your reservation and the other inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I want to assure you that the objective of our Front Desk Team is to provide high quality service to every one of our hotel guest. I have notified both the Front Desk and Housekeeping Team of the situation that you experienced so we can avoid circumstances like this from ever happening again. I also want to reassure you that our restaurants have the health and safety of their guest in mind and strive for culinary excellence every day. Our restaurants are rated highly on review sites like this one. If you return to the Las Vegas area, please feel free to reach out to me so we can make up to you for your recent visit.

Adam Abundis
Service Excellence Coordinator
aabundis@troplv.com
York PA
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is definitley a small property compared to the other hotel/resorts on the strip. Smallest casino I have ever seen. With that said this hotel never seemed crowded. The room was clean, bathroom plenty big, and the room as a whole seemed updated. Housekeeping was good. No mini-fridges or coffee makers however. Pool was good, good music, plenty of chairs. Girls working around the pool were attentive and always around. We had breakfast at the restaurant there, did the buffet they offered, was vabove average. Fresh salmon, fresh omelettes, and many other options. Wendy the server- we love you. Only complaint was at check-in. We had reserved two rooms, and they grzciously left us in the one room early at 12. The other room was not ready until well after 5pm. Not sure why this happened because we never heard anyone in the room, which was connected to the one we already had. It was taken care of, they waved the resort fees for that room when we checked out. Not a complaint, but an observation was also that I e-maled the property ahead of time and said we are coming for a bachelor party, if you can do anything special please do, and if you have any ideas for us please let me know. I got an e-mail back withb ottle prices and thats it? Not the best option if you want people to be excited about your property. I wasn't expecting anything free, but also something for than $150 for Absolut Vodka. Would I stay here again? for the right price. If you want a lot of excitment, try a bigger resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank craleycommando
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Although Tropicana is second oldest hotel on the Strip, it has been bought by Hilton (Double Tree) couple of years ago and completely refurbished. The room prices are still relatively low however, while everything else is new and clean. Really great location too, close to the airport, the strip and all the action! Will come back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends