“Not what I was expecting.....in a good way!”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #103 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have to admit, I was a bit nervous when I was told I had been booked at the Tropicana. I booked a package deal for the PAC-12 tournament and gambled on letting the agent book the hotel for me (something I NEVER do). Considering I was going with a large group I sat back and let someone else do the planning. Needless to say, I was not looking forward to my Tropicana visit. The outside of the hotel looks run down and tired and I was certain my experience would be the same.

When I stepped inside the hotel I was in such shock at the modern and clean colors that I failed to recognize the wonderful hospitality that was happening around me. The check-in staff was engaging, friendly, and helpful. The lobby interior (while small) was modern, decorated in white south beach style deco, with interesting lighting changes occurring frequently. I checked in and was told my room was in the back tower.

On my way back to my room I noticed that the casino was small and dated relative to other hotels but there was something appealing about this.

The room was of tropical decor and carried basic 3 star amenities. There was still a bit of ages smell to the property, primarily due to the aged HVAC infrastructure. Regardless, the hotel was clean, comfortable, friendly, and inviting. If you are looking for a hotel such as the Venitian, do NOT look to the Tropicana. It is clearly a low budget hotel with minimal pool amenities, gym, spa, and shopping. Worth the price? Maybe

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the front of the hotel. The back tower is a long walk
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (12,123)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at The Tropicana from March 10th-15th, and my word. They treated me far better than I deserve, mostly because I am an unappetizing person in most every way.

After a decently quick check-in, I was sent to my room in the back, in what they call the bungalows. I had my doubts, since I had heard the bungalows weren't great, but was generally impressed when I entered my room. It was large and tastefully decorated, the bed was comfy, and the TV had a decent amount of sports channels. I liked having the laptop safe, knowing my meagre valuables were locked up was a nice feeling. There was plenty of room for a side chair, and there was also a desk located near the TV. Wifi was great, I was up and wasting time on the internet in no time.

The bathroom was nice too. It had a full sized shower (no tub), which had terrific water pressure and plenty of hot water. The supplied toiletries made me smell slightly better than usual, and for some reason I didn't steal any of them. The only complaint I had with the bathroom was the scratchy toilet paper.

The hotel is one of the smaller ones on the Strip, but I kinda liked that. I could be in my room from the front door in less than 5 minutes, and my room was all the way in the back. They just renovated the place, and overall it looks terrific. I didn't try any of the restaurants in there, mostly because I was too busy stuffing my face at one of the many buffets. They did give me a free cookie when I checked in, and it was delicious.

I got a nicer room for a little less than what I would have paid for the Excalibur across the street. I definitely recommend the Trop.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Nelson S
Nicole-TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Nelson, I am thrilled we were able to exceed your expectations! The Bungalows are brand new and took the place of the older Garden Rooms. I apologize over any stress confusing the two but am happy you were able to make the quick distinction. On your next visit, be sure to try and Greek Salad at Beach Cafe. (You can thank me later!) --Nicole Marshall myexperience@troplv.com

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here for a reunion. When all arrived they were short one room, then given a great Junior Suite with sauna, jacuzzi, a bar and dining/living room which became the gathering place for our big crowd. Also has joining rooms which was great too. Service was great, we got all the promised group discounts. Beds are comfy, the newer tower has the nicest baths.
We also gathered most mornings for the super buffet breakfast which had many made to order items and they did not make us leave when the lunch buffet came out! Only 18 dollars and it held us until dinner.
But the special outside lunch was way overpriced ($76, no drinks) and the menu was not what we ordered months in advance. I was still hungry. But the atmosphere was like being at a private home lunch that was catered, very relaxed and tropical!
The spa was used by many and the manager signed discounts for everyone.
The location is a little far for those who can't walk much. I recommend getting the bus far up the Strip and slowly walk back.
A good hotel, very reasonably priced and good service. Not a spectacular Vegasy hotel.

Room Tip: The newer rooms in the tower have nicer bathrooms. There is a long, long glass walkway to the towe...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

I am so thrilled we were able to meet your expectations, tboz1976, and I hope to have a chance to exceed them on your next visit. Our Spa, glow, offers a full menu of services and the fitness center offers an amazing view of the pool and garden area from 2 stories up. All the equipment is new and state of the art. Our main pool is just getting into the se\wing of the season and the day club at bagatelle will be open very soon, offering an experience you will not want to miss. --Nicole Marshall myexperience@troplv.com

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel is older, but they have put in loads of money updating it. I stayed here for 7 nights during a conference across the street at the MGM. I saved more than half the amount by increasing my walk by half-a-block! I would stay again in a heart beat!

Pro's:
-Very clean and updated rooms (I'm extremely fussy about this and had no issues)
-Got me checked in early even on a very full day
-Friendly and helpful staff - I felt very welcomed right from the start and all of the maids are considerate and friendly (one even gave me great advice on curing a massive hangover, it worked!)
-Owner that actually cares about the property (saw him with my own eyes on the grounds)
-Updated rooms, reception and pool area
-The pool area is outstanding and has a really relaxed vibe. There is even actual grass, which is hard to find in LV.
-Good assortment of restaurants

Things to consider:
-Ask for a room facing away from the MGM. They are doing work on the exterior of the MGM right now and there's the occasional jack hammer blast after 8AM (although, I only noticed it the day I had a hangover)
-make sure to book ahead, you can save up to 20%

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the MGM. They are doing construction on the MGM and it can be a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Noracn22
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Tropicana underwent a renovation in Jan 2013 and re-emerged as a Doubletree property, which I would say is about right. It's one of the older hotels on the Strip, but I think they did a decent job with the facelift. The lobby and other public areas have a nice modern look. Our room was clean, but showed a bit of age, though nothing in obvious disrepair. The casino is quite small and dining options are limited, if that's important to you. There were two big negatives for me. On two of the three nights, very loud music reverberated off the hotel from the beach club downstairs, playing until 1 am. They should be able to contain that noise, it was very annoying. Second, the gym is inside their spa, which closes very early at 7 pm. Also note there is a mandatory resort fee, which is kind of a joke, but a lot of strip hotels are doing that these days. But it includes wifi and access to the gym and pool. All in all, I thought it was a pretty good value if you don't need a fancy ambience.

Room Tip: If you plan on being asleep before 1 am, be sure you ask about music from the club, and if they are...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank octrekster
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here last month for a trade show at the LVCC. Was able to grab the tram next door at MGM which was about a 10-15 walk which was fine. The rest of the people that i traveled with stayed at Harrahs but i can't stand that place any longer. Tropicana has a small casino in the lobby which makes it easy to pass through. The rooms are redone and the place was totally fine and comfortable. Breakfast in the hotel was very good and even had one dinner in Bacio which was fine as well. Although the hotel is at very south end of the strip it's still accessible to everywhere else via the tram. All in all a pleasant stay and I'm expecting to rebook when i return over the summer.

Room Tip: Paradise Tower is the preferred tower to be in although there was some street noise at night.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We recently returned from a 2 night stay at the Tropicana, which we chose since we are Hilton Honor Members. The rooms were beautiful - 22nd floor overlooking the strip - and could not have been nicer. Big, roomy, clean and nicely decorated. The hotel as a whole was like "old Las Vegas" not alot of the glitz - the dealers in the casino were all wearing red t-shirts advertising the new program they are offering - which took away from the glamour of Vegas. But, we saw plenty of that when we went to the other hotels on the strip. The front desk clerk could not have been nicer and more efficient. She was smiling all the time that the lady ahead of us was not being so nice. The clerk never lost her cool and was friendly when it was our turn (not sure if I would have been able to handle that as well). Overall - the beds were very comfortable, plenty of parking, perfect location on the strip - we would stay there again on another trip to Vegas.

Room Tip: Choose the 22nd floor - the views are beautiful!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family