“Very good choice for a conference”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #96 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Ithaca NY
“Very good choice for a conference”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was an excellent hotel for a conference.
Rooms were very good for acoustics and seating. Frankly, the staff could not have been better. The wait staff at the food events were efficient and very, very personable. Management was always visible and lovely to deal with.
Biscayne Restaurant was really, really good and the Beach Cafe very convenient. At a group lunch, the chicken salad with fried plantains was just delicious!
Coming from a non smoking state, the smoke was hard to take. Certainly not the fault of the hotel but the entire area. I understand that.
But other than the smoke, an excellent setting.

1 Thank Lynnette S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,726)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Starke, Florida, United States
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Very nice property, was there for a business trip. With type of hotel thought would have been small fridge in the room or coffee/tea. There was neither. The hotel has been and is still under some renovations. Due to cost of room per night should have had some extra amenities. Cost of food and restaurants were over priced for what I thought Vegas would be. Casino area was nice and not overwhelming with people, was nice that it didn't have a smokey smell either in room or casino area.
If you are tall the shower heads are low, due to newer tubs installed.
We enjoined out trip.

Room Tip: Didn't use spa, but looked nice, we walked past it daily. There was no breakfast provided nor c...
1 Thank Kim R
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I reserved my room January 4th for January 28th. They charged my card for one nights room rental and I reserved two rooms. One with two beds and one with only one bed. After a long flight we arrived at the hotel. At check in she asked if we wanted one bed or two, I explained I already reserved the one bed and the two bed. She then proceeded to tell me that is not how it works, it is on a first come first serve basis and they don't have ANY one beds available. She said we would be in the front tower because we were there with a convention and would be leaving from the front, but that she could put us in a one bed handicap in the far tower. OK, I went for the one bed because that is what we really wanted, she said the rooms were together. My room was on the first floor and the others were on the 8th floor, not really right together. When we got to our room the view was more than disappointing, looking out to the concrete and heat/air units. We were planning to be there 3 days and didn't want this for a view. Checked out the others room, view was great. I went back to the front and said we want to just move to the front tower, where you were going to put us first, and ill deal with the smaller--two beds. She said, no, the front would be a upcharge, so you cant be there without paying more. really?, she just told us at check in that is where she was putting us. Nope. So ok we will just deal with the walk. They put us on the 8th floor with the others. I told her that I was Hilton honors but didn't have my number. She said I could look it up and tell her at check out. Other times they have just looked my number up. Not helpful. The room was clean. TV was nice. Internet service good, and the IPOD dock was a nice touch. The shower, not so much. Tile was old and pink, and had mildew. The hot water was lacking....it would surge and burn you and back to cool, surge, and back to cool. Tried to use the safe. It didn't work. The heat was one vent with the themostat underneath it, on one side of the room with the windows. I had a hard time heating the room warm enough. I was however impressed with the housekeeping. I stayed in the room a lot, got out about midday to go to the convention for a bit and when I came back they had always been there and had things cleaned up. Not the worst place, but in my opinion just doesn't meet the Hilton qualities that we like.

1 Thank LMJOK
sunny Southern California
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We make an annual trip to Las Vegas for the fun and excitement of Superbowl weekend - I guess I as a private person can still say "Superbowl", even if the hotels and bars have to say "Big Game"!

This year we stayed at the Tropicana, since it has just become part of the Hilton family (a Doubletree), and we do like getting our Hilton points...and our Doubletree cookies.

We had a nice room, a sort of two-room junior suite, that seemed as if it had been recently redone. The decor was attractive, sort of South Beach (Miami) style, and there were two big TV's, one in each room. These turned out to be really useful since my husband got sick and didn't feel up to watching the game amongst the crowds in the lounge or sports book as we usually do. So this year we watched in our room, and with the big TV's didn't feel like we missed much!

The only odd thing about the room was that there was only a shower. Although it was quite a nice shower, I'm a big fan of taking baths, and would have expected a big tub, or even a jacuzzi tub, in a junior suite. If this is important to you, call and ask before booking!

We did experience the sort of musty smell that a few other reviews have mentioned, but it was only right when we first came back to our room, and we would just open the windows for a bit and it would go away.

I very much like the location of the hotel, at the south end of the strip, with lots of entertainment available nearby. We went to the House of Blues one night, and up the street to Mon Ami Gabi another night, before my husband got sick. After he got sick we hung around the hotel more and ate one night at the Tropicana's Italian restaurant (Bacio). Although my husband was stuffed up and couldn't taste much, I found both the Caprese appetizer and the salmon special to be quite flavorful.

The only sort of downside to the hotel for us was the rudeness of the employees in the Sports Book. We were in and out of the Sports Book all weekend, and with one exception, found all of the Sports Book employees to be dismissive, or even downright rude. We are not huge gamblers, but we did make a number of bets, both on some basketball games, and (of course) on the Superbowl, even setting up one of their accounts to do it. Only once did we feel as if an employee was even professional to us, much less nice or polite. We do understand that Superbowl weekend is a big deal and busy time for them, and we weren't asking for anything special like seats during the game or anything - just for a bit of politeness. The Sports Book appears to be contracted out to another company called "Cantor", and they get a big two thumbs down from us.

Note: This was in contrast to the Tropicana employees we dealt with, who were uniformly nice and helpful.

Anyway, aside from the Sports Book, we very much enjoyed our stay at the Tropicana, and will return in the future. We'll just put our sports bets down somewhere else.

Room Tip: The Club Tower is a long way from the casino and lobby - if you have trouble walking, you might ask...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sufue
Haworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I chose the Tropicana on price and the reviews on here and I was really pleased I did. Our room was in the Paradise Tower, just inside the front door and I really appreciated this, after being in most casinos and seeing guests dragging their luggage through the whole property. The room was big for a standard, the bed was great and pillows suited us both. Unlike other reviewers our bathroom was clean, well-maintained and fully functioning, as was the AC. We ate at the Beach Cafe on two mornings, and both found our breakfasts to be delicious and huge. I would stay here again without a hesitation, and even loved the coconut air freshener. Staff were great.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank misswallison
Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The hotel was only average but the staff were great. For a hotel that revived itself it looks good but they forgot about its' patrons. The surrounding area was very noisy because of construction but nothing on the website about that, no coffee pot or kettle in room and nothing in the room booklet about the dining in the hotel.....they just assume that you would walk around and look at the ads on the walls. Asked for a king and got 2 queens.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the strip and all construction and make sure that it isn't a smoking room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The transformation of this place is amazing. Now a mix of a young hip crowd and old timers.

The only reason it is not getting a 5 is the Sports Book. $440 bet for a free drink! Other strip hotels are $55 or $110 or FREE.

Staff ws freindly, room was great, bed very comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends